Singapore Expats Forum

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Postby JR8 » Tue, 03 May 2011 8:55 am

Pretty powerful stuff. Perhaps this encapsulates the grass roots feeling among many SGns against FT?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kpj4rmX4 ... r_embedded

Snowfly
Regular
Regular
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri, 01 Sep 2006
Location: Geylang
Contact:

Postby Snowfly » Tue, 03 May 2011 1:19 pm

Did you try reading the comments? if you're up for it... i'd recommend going our for a smoke first...and then after.

However I don't think the anti-foreigner hate is directed towards folks in your demographic necessarily...

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Tue, 03 May 2011 2:13 pm

It's easy to understand the negative sentiment, but sometimes the grass isn't always greener and you need to look outside your fluffy bubble.

It seems to me that not all locals have an issue with foreigners per se - just the ones who know how to milk the system dry and squeeze every little drop of water from SG like its a giant sponge.

Don't you just love politics. It's interesting to listen to what angers people in different countries and compare and contrast that to your home Country. If someone made a video like that in the U.K, they'd be accused of being a member of the BNP!!

mbeza
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat, 30 Apr 2011
Location: Singapore

Re: Opposition pre-election vid re: foreigners

Postby mbeza » Tue, 03 May 2011 9:13 pm

Anyone that has traveled to other countries will not be surprised by the reaction of singaporeans to foreing talent. some of them hate the word foreign talent - well, the truth is it is foreign talent. there is clearly not enough local talent.

Singaporeans don't understand that without foreign talent they would be as backward as some of their neighbours. The Singapore Govt is the smartest I know, but the citizens are not nearly as smart to get what the government is doing. This country relies purely on foreign trade and without foreign companies here, this is a poor country. The only developed sector here is the public sector - the govt.

So wake up people.

eleri
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 25 Apr 2011

Postby eleri » Tue, 03 May 2011 10:14 pm

BillyB wrote:Don't you just love politics. It's interesting to listen to what angers people in different countries and compare and contrast that to your home Country.


And I'm still trying to understand what SGpns are arguing about.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:45 am

Was the last election won by just 66%??? I was under the impression that they had a much higher lead. What do guys think will happen during this election? Is there even a remote chance of an upset? I have a significant exposure to SGD and considering hedging it. I would imagine an election upset will make the currency crash :roll:

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 10:59 am

revhappy wrote:Was the last election won by just 66%??? I was under the impression that they had a much higher lead. What do guys think will happen during this election? Is there even a remote chance of an upset? I have a significant exposure to SGD and considering hedging it. I would imagine an election upset will make the currency crash :roll:


No, they've redrawn all the electoral boundaries again, and showered the people with their own tax money a week or two before the election, so, there will be no upsets.

In fact I'd vouch that so few opposition MPs get elected that the PAP will have to put in place tame NMPs as a fig-leaf to democracy.... as per usual :roll:

User avatar
Barnsley
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2232
Joined: Tue, 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pasir Ris
Contact:

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 04 May 2011 5:12 pm

JR8 wrote:
revhappy wrote:Was the last election won by just 66%??? I was under the impression that they had a much higher lead. What do guys think will happen during this election? Is there even a remote chance of an upset? I have a significant exposure to SGD and considering hedging it. I would imagine an election upset will make the currency crash :roll:


No, they've redrawn all the electoral boundaries again, and showered the people with their own tax money a week or two before the election, so, there will be no upsets.

In fact I'd vouch that so few opposition MPs get elected that the PAP will have to put in place tame NMPs as a fig-leaf to democracy.... as per usual :roll:


The spin in the local press on the Govt giving people back their own tax money is laughable.

I think one or two GRC have a chance of falling, it is quite interesting reading and watching whats going on.

I have been very suprised by the negativity coming from Govt, with the dominant position they have I figured they would be more positive on what they are doing.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:05 pm

Barnsley wrote:The spin in the local press on the Govt giving people back their own tax money is laughable.

I think one or two GRC have a chance of falling, it is quite interesting reading and watching whats going on.

I have been very suprised by the negativity coming from Govt, with the dominant position they have I figured they would be more positive on what they are doing.


I don't get to see the local media right now, so it is interesting to hear an opinion on it.

I understand that a GRC has never gone to the opposition, so that is one to watch with interest. My in-laws live in a GRC and they are pretty aghast at how the boundaries have been redrawn this time around.

PAP negativity? Wouldn't want to have the PAP supporters taking a PAP victory for granted and stay at home on election day would we? Better to scare them a bit, you know to motivate them into voting :wink:

User avatar
purpled
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 03 May 2011

Postby purpled » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:37 pm

so much hatred in that video. these people have not yet experienced the worst in their country, they complain a lot saying that the government has stopped serving them. they need to go out and start living in other asian countries and try to change their definition of ''change'' or ''broken promises'' :-|

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 7:08 pm

purpled wrote:so much hatred in that video. these people have not yet experienced the worst in their country, they complain a lot saying that the government has stopped serving them. they need to go out and start living in other asian countries and try to change their definition of ''change'' or ''broken promises'' :-|



What do you mean by 'these people' and what are 'their countries'? :o

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 7:35 pm

This coming saturday will be interesting. The Hot Seat this election will the be same hot seat as the last election. Aljunied GRC. PAP only won it by a whisker in the last election (the Workers Party mananged to gather in 44 or 46% of the vote in that GRC). It's being contested again, but this time, the leader of the WP Low TK will be also contesting in that GRC. He's held the opposition ward next to the GRC since 1991 so is rather well liked there. If he comes over to aljunied, it could well cause an upset and the youth here are up to their eyeballs in rhetoric. It reminds me of the numbskulls that prostrated themselves in from of Obama during the elections 2.5 years ago. The young & educated who are clueless and looking for ideals without knowing the history or having walked any sort of distance in their shoes. Frankly, I worry about aljunied as I live there. I'm going to watch my property valuation take a tumble if the ruling party gets ousted here. A good example is the difference in similar HDB housing in both constituencies, with many more sales in Hougang (almost 2 to 1 and 10-16% lower sales prices). CRAP!

As there are a lot of new voters and lots of constituencies that haven't been contested in donkeys years, we don't have a clue what's going to actually happen. PAP could find themselves severely hampered and in theory, they could, by fluke, lose the mandate here. The anger against the PAP is palpable on the ground here. So much so that the PAP is falling all over itself apologizing for this, than & the other. Gonna be a hot time in the ole town Saturday night for sure.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 04 May 2011 8:13 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:This coming saturday will be interesting. The Hot Seat this election will the be same hot seat as the last election. Aljunied GRC. PAP only won it by a whisker in the last election (the Workers Party mananged to gather in 44 or 46% of the vote in that GRC). It's being contested again, but this time, the leader of the WP Low TK will be also contesting in that GRC. He's held the opposition ward next to the GRC since 1991 so is rather well liked there. If he comes over to aljunied, it could well cause an upset and the youth here are up to their eyeballs in rhetoric. It reminds me of the numbskulls that prostrated themselves in from of Obama during the elections 2.5 years ago. The young & educated who are clueless and looking for ideals without knowing the history or having walked any sort of distance in their shoes. Frankly, I worry about aljunied as I live there. I'm going to watch my property valuation take a tumble if the ruling party gets ousted here. A good example is the difference in similar HDB housing in both constituencies, with many more sales in Hougang (almost 2 to 1 and 10-16% lower sales prices). CRAP!

As there are a lot of new voters and lots of constituencies that haven't been contested in donkeys years, we don't have a clue what's going to actually happen. PAP could find themselves severely hampered and in theory, they could, by fluke, lose the mandate here. The anger against the PAP is palpable on the ground here. So much so that the PAP is falling all over itself apologizing for this, than & the other. Gonna be a hot time in the ole town Saturday night for sure.



Hmmm... fascinating!

Why do property values fall in opposition constituencies? Is it because the government punish them financially via withholding HDB upgrades etc? I recall once driving down a road that was the border between a PAP and opposition constituency, the difference in condition between the blocks on the two sides was clear to see.

I see a parallel with what is going on in the Middle East, i.e. oppression of opposition by the leading party, hence it largely been driven underground where the wishes of those voters will never cannot be ‘accommodated’. And when the pressure cooker blows it tends to go with a bang.

I’ll be watching with interest!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:17 pm

BINGO!

The estate you are probably talking about is Potong Pasir which has been Chiam See Tong's SMC for the past 20 years. And it looks it. But he is truly a politician of the people there and and love him even thought the PAP has withheld lift upgrading and virtually everything else trying to win it back. They even built an MRT station there and left it closed for around 6 years now, refusing to open it until PAP get the constituency back. :(

Even now, you can walk across the street from Aljunied to Hougang and actually see, or if not actually see, feel the difference somehow. Seedier without actually looking like it. In fact, as was noted yesterday, at night, even the lighting seems dimmer. The punishment by the ruling party to opposition wards is what is giving the ground here a case of the arse. Everybody, even in those PAP wards, think what they are doing is atrocious. But, the problem is, the opposition will dismantle the government and when that starts to happen, the miracle that is Singapore will disappear in a matter of years. Rome wasn't built in a day, but Pompei was destroyed in one.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 04 May 2011 9:42 pm

This year is special, as there are 82 / 87 seats up for offer, so it is possible that the opposition parties together can become the next gahmen.
Share this with your local friends, so that they would think wisely before voting.

http://itcouldneverhappen.wordpress.com


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests