Singapore Expats Forum

Renuouncing SG citizenship AFTER serving NS

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
mlcy85

Renuouncing SG citizenship AFTER serving NS

Postby mlcy85 » Tue, 03 May 2011 1:00 am

ok here goes my life story:

1) born in singapore 1985, but obtained Malaysian citizenship since birth since dad is msian, but mum is singaporean. therefore i was a singapore minor citizen

2) went to complete uni, and came back to finish up NS.

3) now that i have ORD-ed... ICA has asked me to choose btw singapore or msian citizenzhip.

Problem is I do intend to work in singapore, and already have a job offer at a reputable firm. 1 point for sg citizenship.

However my entire family is in malaysia, and I do have a family business in msia as well that mite need me to take over. 1 point for msian citizen.

ideally, i planned initially to give up singapore citizen, and work in singapore as a malaysian, and proceed to apply for PR if i wanna settle down. however the letter from ICA advises to consider the following:

There is no provision for reinstatement.
There is also no assurance that you can continue to work or reside in Singapore as a foreigner on any type of employment permit or as a Permanent Resident.

Should I seriously consider this "threat"? Most cases i see on this forum involves people who managed to avoid NS, therefore losing any chance of gaining back student or work permits. but how about one who has obdiently served NS like me? any thoughts and advise will be truly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Re: Renuouncing SG citizenship AFTER serving NS

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:03 am

mlcy85 wrote:ok here goes my life story:

1) born in singapore 1985, but obtained Malaysian citizenship since birth since dad is msian, but mum is singaporean. therefore i was a singapore minor citizen

2) went to complete uni, and came back to finish up NS.

3) now that i have ORD-ed... ICA has asked me to choose btw singapore or msian citizenzhip.

Problem is I do intend to work in singapore, and already have a job offer at a reputable firm. 1 point for sg citizenship.

However my entire family is in malaysia, and I do have a family business in msia as well that mite need me to take over. 1 point for msian citizen.

ideally, i planned initially to give up singapore citizen, and work in singapore as a malaysian, and proceed to apply for PR if i wanna settle down. however the letter from ICA advises to consider the following:

There is no provision for reinstatement.
There is also no assurance that you can continue to work or reside in Singapore as a foreigner on any type of employment permit or as a Permanent Resident.

Should I seriously consider this "threat"? Most cases i see on this forum involves people who managed to avoid NS, therefore losing any chance of gaining back student or work permits. but how about one who has obdiently served NS like me? any thoughts and advise will be truly appreciated.

Thanks!!

It is not a threat , it is meant for certain group of people, you though does not belong to this particular group. ICA albeit Gahmen cast a wide net to encompasse "would be and had been" group.
If you renounce SG citizenship, you need to apply under EP through MOM, serving NS is a plus point for you, your employer need to submit your qualifications to MOM and MOM has to justify that you are needed in your employer's organisation. Hence this is a two part. You meet the criteria, which I believe you have meet their criterias and MOM has to satisfy the employer's needs of you in their organisation.To gain employment yes, to attain PR maybe. To regain SG citizenship , do not count on it once you renounce
Now, to renounce M'sia citizenship is the same way but to gain M'sia EP and regain M'sia PP is much easier as in years to come when you decide to head back to M'sia, all you need to do is reside in M'sia permanently for min 5 years and renounce SG citizenship/ To reside, you can seel LTSVP in M'sia as your birth right in M'sia and your immediate family are Malaysian. These are two of the criterias to regain. Go to Ministry of Internal Affairs Malaysia website. It has been done before.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

mlcy85

Postby mlcy85 » Tue, 03 May 2011 10:43 am

hi Madscientist,

Thanks very much for your reply! However I have a few concerns as well:

1) my dad was quite sure that once i renounce my m'sian citizenship, i can never ever get any form of it back, not even EP or PR. his impression is that well, we're not Bumi/Muslim, and they will not even entertain once I give it up. The fact that my immediate family are Malaysian might not even help. Should this be a concern?

2) as for the two criterias you mentioned to get LTSVP (i presume this is Long Term Social Visit Pass?), I'm not born in Malaysia so not sure if that helps.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 6:04 pm

mlcy85 wrote:hi Madscientist,

Thanks very much for your reply! However I have a few concerns as well:

1) my dad was quite sure that once i renounce my m'sian citizenship, i can never ever get any form of it back, not even EP or PR. his impression is that well, we're not Bumi/Muslim, and they will not even entertain once I give it up. The fact that my immediate family are Malaysian might not even help. Should this be a concern?

Ok, if you are not Bumi then this route is no good for you. But if you married a Malaysian wife then your chance of PR after LTSVP is higher

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/pass ... an-bekerja

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/expatriate

2) as for the two criterias you mentioned to get LTSVP (i presume this is Long Term Social Visit Pass?), I'm not born in Malaysia so not sure if that helps.

Another way is MY2H in JB i.e my second home.

IMHO, if you want to gain experience here and have better income then SG is the way to go but if you have family business to take care, get EP here while running you family business then gain the experience before taking over the helm. You cannot have both way but getting EP in M'sia is much easier as your own a business there and use that to gain EP which is normally for 2 or 3 years visa with multiple entry
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

mlcy85

Postby mlcy85 » Tue, 03 May 2011 10:03 pm

hi madscientist,

thanks for your advice! very informative but it's still a tough decision to make... will need to seriously consider :(