Singapore Expats Forum

Getting Marriage Certificate for Indian Couple for DP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
guru_kaliraj

Getting Marriage Certificate for Indian Couple for DP

Postby guru_kaliraj » Mon, 02 May 2011 9:51 pm

Hi,
I've recently moved to Singapore from india with my wife & daughter. My office has applied for DP for both of them & got IPA letter. Thsi is based on our passport. Both my passport & my wife passport has our names included.
We entered into singapore with that IPA letter. Sad part is we never registered our marriage in India. I just realized that for getting DP card for my wife, i need to have marriage certificate with me. Is that necessary even we've both our names in each passport?? If it is true, is there anyway to get marriage certificate thro' Indian embassy? I can produce my marriage invitation to the embessy. Guide me on this. Thanks..

Regards,
Kali
Kaliraj

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: Getting Marriage Certificate for Indian Couple for DP

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 02 May 2011 10:04 pm

guru_kaliraj wrote:Hi,
I've recently moved to Singapore from india with my wife & daughter. My office has applied for DP for both of them & got IPA letter. Thsi is based on our passport. Both my passport & my wife passport has our names included.
We entered into singapore with that IPA letter. Sad part is we never registered our marriage in India. I just realized that for getting DP card for my wife, i need to have marriage certificate with me. Is that necessary even we've both our names in each passport?? If it is true, is there anyway to get marriage certificate thro' Indian embassy? I can produce my marriage invitation to the embessy. Guide me on this. Thanks..

Regards,
Kali

Marriage certificate is necessary when collecting the DP. Try calling the Indian Embassy and check with them if they can issue an marriage certificate based on your name in her passport for the spouse name and using other evidences that you have.

Also check with MOM if they will accept a letter from the embassy as an alternative for the marriage certificate.

Good Luck !

sanky_001

Postby sanky_001 » Mon, 02 May 2011 11:02 pm

Regards,
Kali

Hi Kali,

As SF suggested, you can try calling the embassy. I believe there is an option to get marriage certificate through them based on your passport.

I recently obtained my birth certificate from India Embassy through Mustafa Travels who does this service.

You may click on below link to access the application form for your reference:

http://www.mustafa.com.sg/forms/BIRTH_CERTIFICATE.pdf

(Its the same form to obtain BIRTH/MARRIAGE/NRI/POLICE CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE/DRTVING LICENCE LETTER) for Indians living in Singapore

Hope this helps. Good luck!

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Mon, 02 May 2011 11:17 pm

You can also directly approach the Indian embassy to get the certificate..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 4:17 am

What a dork , knowing you are coming over here and not covering your bases and you think this place is a given for you, well, you got that wrong, buddy !!
If I am not wrong, you can get it done thru Commissioner of Oath under Civil Marriage. I do not think ROM in SG is allowed.
You need to proof both of you are living together eg. two names bank account etc....
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 03 May 2011 6:59 am

Mad Scientist wrote:What a dork , knowing you are coming over here and not covering your bases and you think this place is a given for you, well, you got that wrong, buddy !!
If I am not wrong, you can get it done thru Commissioner of Oath under Civil Marriage. I do not think ROM in SG is allowed.
You need to proof both of you are living together eg. two names bank account etc....

So essentially in SGn law they are not recognised as married? Sheesh.

Why do you think they could not go through a civil procedure at ROM? I had thought that all that was required for foreigners (apart from all the other 'usual dox') was that one party remained in SG for 15 days before the day? I.e. I don't recall seeing anything on the ROM site that says two foreigners cannot get married there.

Perhaps the situation is akin to westerners who have to establish that they are in a common-law marriage, or the equivalent to a marriage in their home country...

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 03 May 2011 7:39 am

JR8 wrote:So essentially in SGn law they are not recognised as married? Sheesh.

Why do you think they could not go through a civil procedure at ROM? I had thought that all that was required for foreigners (apart from all the other 'usual dox') was that one party remained in SG for 15 days before the day? I.e. I don't recall seeing anything on the ROM site that says two foreigners cannot get married there.

Not sure on this hence I said "I think", I recalled one of our friend was denied registering here. I do not know the details, I maybe wrong here
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

FaeLLe
Chatter
Chatter

Postby FaeLLe » Wed, 04 May 2011 3:27 pm

Regards,
Kali

This is what you need to do.........

Ask your HR to "Issue the Visa" using EP Online.
Check your Visa Issuance letter if it asks for any documents to bought along when you go for the Appointment at MOM for Fingerprinting etc.

If no documents are asked for then they wont ask you to produce anything even your marriage certificate since this status was verified while generating the IPA.
They probably used your passports with Spouse Name field showing each other name and assumed the Indian authorities verified your marriage status.

Personally I did not get asked for anything except Stamped and signed IPA and the signed medical declaration (didnt even have a medical test).

If you want to have a Marriage certificate as a backup goto Mustafa Travels (go to Ferrer Park MRT and ask anyone, it is on Verdun Road) and apply for one. You will need to pay a small fee and submit a signed declaration and copies of both your passport with your spouse name field filled in.

Mustafa Travel being agents of Indian High commission will get you an official Marriage certificate.

Good luck....