Singapore Expats Forum

Worried about getting your EP renewed?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

slayerk2000
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2011

Postby slayerk2000 » Wed, 04 May 2011 3:09 am

As a matter of interest, how easy was it to get EPs back in the good ol'days?

And also, after reading a lot of stuff on the internet, the 'foreigners' Singaporeans seem to complain about are coffee shop aunties and low wage workers etc. Is that right? They use Ang Mo for caucasians no?

Does the government dicipher between these two types of foreigners?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:55 am

No. The only differenciation is between EP holder and WP holders, but unfortunately, when they start griping the lines get blurred as they say it okay for WP holders to clean toilets. In other words, FT is okay if it's a dirty hot or smelly job that they don't want. Otherwise, all are fair game.

Provided of course, those WP holders doing the dirty smelly jobs don't use the kopi tiams, rent houses, or appear on the street after working hours. In other words, as long as the ONLY place they are seen are on the construction site, it's okay, but heaven forbid that they are treated like human beings.

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Wed, 04 May 2011 2:47 pm

It is weird. For all the uncertainty about work passes around, it seems that there are as many new people coming into Singapore to work as those who have left. Just look at the number of "newbie" posts in this forum. Any thoughts?

But Snowfly (and other expats) I suggest that you get your finances in order and be ready to deal with the worst. This is just good planning (ideally you should have enough cash to last 3 months with no income), but as an expat there isn't much of a safety net and moving home can cost you.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 May 2011 6:57 pm

Been off today, out to P.Tekong to see my son off to NS. Come back, turn on my phone, and had two messages from one of my Indian technicians who it here with his wife (who is on her own pass). (My S pass renewal got rejected now wat to do?) (Is there any way to renew it)
Won't know the reason till I get to work tomorrow, but he's been with me for 3 years already!

Guess I'll find out in the morning....

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 May 2011 12:41 pm

Add on to yesterday.....

Was rejected to quota problems. Fair enough but it sucks as the pest control industry is more akin to the construction sector than the services sector, our dependency ratio sucks. And, due to the three month running averages and the fact the locals who are no longer working for a month or only worked a part of a month don't seem to be counted in the averages unless they make more than the part time minimum figure, it causes us problems as the turnover in this industry for locals is terrible as they have to work outdoors in all kinds of weather and with smelly chemicals, so they tend to walk off the job with no notice.

But, new problem this morning bright & early! :x One of my office staff, who is up for his 4th S pass renewal was rejected (Been with me since 2008!) for

We regret to inform you that your application is unsuccessful for the following reason(s):

1. The prospective employee does not meet our criteria for approval. We take into account a set of factors that include salary, work experience, qualifications and skills profile of the candidate. You are advised to look for another candidate.

Disclaimer:
The reason(s) for rejection displayed is accurate as at the time of rejection.


Also from that same rejection letter
Please note that organisations with EP Online accounts can now view details of the rejection reasons (if any) for unsuccessful applications via EP Online.


Unfortunately, his Occupation is easily found in Singapore. So why the hell did they give him an S pass in 2008 then! :mad: They have no rhyme nor reason for the way they do things. More anecdotal evidence that nobody is safe here and no matter how highly qualified you think you are, it won't stop you from being rejected, regardless of what you might think.

However, aside from the Employer being able to, the potential/employee cannot access it on his own. Only the employer.

slayerk2000
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2011

Postby slayerk2000 » Thu, 05 May 2011 4:27 pm

Do you think he could get a successful appeal after the election? You know, after the PAP have it secured..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 May 2011 7:01 pm

Doubtful, as the key words here are it a position that is easily filled by a local and sadly to say from my side (I don't control the salary) at a much higher cost as well.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3457
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 06 May 2011 5:27 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been off today, out to P.Tekong to see my son off to NS. Come back, turn on my phone, and had two messages from one of my Indian technicians who it here with his wife (who is on her own pass). (My S pass renewal got rejected now wat to do?) (Is there any way to renew it)
Won't know the reason till I get to work tomorrow, but he's been with me for 3 years already!

Guess I'll find out in the morning....


@ SMS ; your son will have a blast there . not to worry , is more like a walk in the park nowadays. There used to be three camps there 1. Camp 1, Camp 2 and RINCO Camp. Not sure now
I used to paddle using the aluminium 10 men boat/Dinghy from Commando Camp to Tekong Kechil and back during my training days.
BTW true to my assumption about the immigration policy. The drumming up even by The PM admitting to mistake he had done on immigration policy will severely affect alot of FTs and PRs alike pasted on the local papers.
It even landed on the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatn ... iment.html
Not good news for FTs at all.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 06 May 2011 6:20 am

I wanna watch this link, but clicking 'Watch this link for replies' has never worked.

Hence I'll post a void post like this one in order to click Notify instead.

Snowfly
Regular
Regular
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri, 01 Sep 2006
Location: Geylang
Contact:

Postby Snowfly » Fri, 06 May 2011 9:35 am

Ouch, so the crackdown on S pass holders has started? sorry to hear about all the non-renewals at your company SMS.

But I don't know, seems like EP holders are safe for now. Not that I'm relaxing yet, but I doubt whoever's handing immigrations is that shortsighted..

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Fri, 06 May 2011 9:59 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Been off today, out to P.Tekong to see my son off to NS. Come back, turn on my phone, and had two messages from one of my Indian technicians who it here with his wife (who is on her own pass). (My S pass renewal got rejected now wat to do?) (Is there any way to renew it)
Won't know the reason till I get to work tomorrow, but he's been with me for 3 years already!

Guess I'll find out in the morning....


@ SMS ; your son will have a blast there . not to worry , is more like a walk in the park nowadays. There used to be three camps there 1. Camp 1, Camp 2 and RINCO Camp. Not sure now
I used to paddle using the aluminium 10 men boat/Dinghy from Commando Camp to Tekong Kechil and back during my training days.
BTW true to my assumption about the immigration policy. The drumming up even by The PM admitting to mistake he had done on immigration policy will severely affect alot of FTs and PRs alike pasted on the local papers.
It even landed on the Telegraph
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatn ... iment.html
Not good news for FTs at all.


The irony of it is that, when you hear names of the opposition party leaders like Vincent Wijeysingha and James Gomez, who are clearly themselves foreigners, wonder how would the anti-foreigner rhetoric will go down well with the voters. :lol:

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 702
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Fri, 06 May 2011 1:05 pm

revhappy wrote: The irony of it is that, when you hear names of the opposition party leaders like Vincent Wijeysingha and James Gomez, who are clearly themselves foreigners, wonder how would the anti-foreigner rhetoric will go down well with the voters. :lol:


Re, nope. Vincent Wijeysingha and James Gomez are 100% Singaporean. Born and bred here. Served NS and all.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 06 May 2011 1:37 pm

In fact, 20 years ago, I was Vincent's sister's wedding photographer. I've had some interesting conversations with his father, Eugene, in years gone by. Pure Singaporeans they are. Vincent's father was the former Headmaster of Raffles Institute. They lived in Seletar Hills off of Yio Chu Kang road back then.

slayerk2000
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2011

Postby slayerk2000 » Fri, 06 May 2011 2:01 pm

"The alternative parties are, in their own ways, advocating a 'Singapore first' policy for jobs that Singaporeans can and want to do – which strikes me as reasonable." (From the Telegraph link posted by Mad Scientist above)

Singaporeans already have an advantage in getting these jobs..

@SMS, how many Singaporeans will apply for the job your Indian expat lost?

I'd like to see what the climate is after the election..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34785
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 19 May 2011 9:16 am

slayerk2000 wrote:"The alternative parties are, in their own ways, advocating a 'Singapore first' policy for jobs that Singaporeans can and want to do – which strikes me as reasonable." (From the Telegraph link posted by Mad Scientist above)

Singaporeans already have an advantage in getting these jobs..

@SMS, how many Singaporeans will apply for the job your Indian expat lost?

I'd like to see what the climate is after the election..


Not too many. We are in the middle of an industrial estate in the devil's triangle between Clementi, Jurong East & Bukit Batok. Additionally, it's very dark there so most are afraid to leave late in the evenings out of fear. Lot's of dormitories around there, so if their are female, they are hesitant to say the least. And, the salary is S Pass level only due to the nature/bottom line of the Industry as well. If they do come, they only last a couple of months and then disappear or ensure that they leave before having to give a full weeks notice.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests