Singapore Expats

The Royal wedding

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 30 Apr 2011 8:01 pm

aster wrote:Mornin' JR8

Oh-arrrhhh [as we are wont to say in the west country while leaning over the farm gate, whilst giving that wry knowing and yet quizzical look] :)

I can understand someone not liking the whole royal family thing because most of them are a bunch of idiots. Apart from Diana or her kids, I couldn't give two shits about the rest of them... "royalty"... gimme a break.

They’re idiots? Well I suppose if you rely upon the tabloids to keep you informed, yes I suppose one might think so. And Diana wasn’t? But she was the only one that managed to bring about her own death... none too bright eh?

The people demand a figurehead, look at Singapore. What would you prefer given the UK has to have one, a Sarkozy, an Obama, one of the Kennedys perhaps... von Rompuy anyone? All class acts eh? ;) But I wonder why since you don’t give two shits about royalty why they apparently annoy you so much. Can’t you simply switch off your TV? Why do their affairs concern you at all?

I'd be the last one to mention profit all the time, but that's all they're good for - driving tourism. Take that away and they can all FO to the Himalayas and stay there...

Well no, as with your line that the euro is good as it saves you £10 commission on your holiday money at Heathrow, I don’t think you are looking beyond the surface – but there you go.

Who is going to take them ‘off to the Himalayas’? Are there other people you’d see sent there? Are sociopathic tendencies one of your things or do you reserve them for people who are better than you?

Whaaaaat? That sounded strange considering you're not an 85-year old female. :D There is nothing great about them... and they have nothing to do with what makes the country great.

Ah so it is a fashion-thing is it? I’m a monarchist hence I must be an 85 year old woman? [squinting now in an effort to understand]. Thank heavens some things outlive mere shallow fashion.

You betcha! :)

That’s a deal lol!

P.S. Good thing they got rid of fox-hunting, that was one sick pastime that only lowlife idiots participated in...

Lol. Spoken like a true city-dweller. Fox hunting has not gone away... oh God let’s guess.... er, you think it is a sport pursued exclusively by rich toffs simply for fun therefore they must all be hated?

What next 'Isn't it great they banned handguns in the UK'? Go on you know you want to say it...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 01 May 2011 5:55 am

aster wrote:Nice ceremony, saw it on tv. I wish them all the best. :)

P.S. Can't understand the diehards who actally cram the streets though...
Part of the true identity of patriotism and heritage, it's an uplift for the majority and it can be seen world wide, just how much support there is, so the minority critics should sit tight lipped as they have never felt the feelings of heritage and patriotism :wink: Europe will never take it away, as sovereignty is not for the taking! Sadly for some, but true.

I'm actually very patriotic when it comes to sovereignty and military matters.
Aster:There is nothing great about them... and they have nothing to do with what makes the country great.

Actually they have, and in great fashion in the days of private armies the hierarchical, structure and disciple is what you get, what made Great Britain Great, was the fact that discipline and respect was installed, and it can be again....I'll vote for Cameron if he ships all the tossers to the front line :lol:
Last edited by ksl on Sun, 01 May 2011 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 6:22 am

ksl wrote:
aster wrote:Nice ceremony, saw it on tv. I wish them all the best. :)

P.S. Can't understand the diehards who actally cram the streets though...
Part of the true identity of patriotism and heritage, it's an uplift for the majority and it can be seen world wide, just how much support there is, so the minority critics should sit tight lipped as they have never felt the feelings of heritage and patriotism :wink: Europe will never take it away, as sovereignty is not for the taking! Sadly but true
Yes, well expressed. According to the BBC (and they're no monarchists) the Queen has 70-75% approval ratings, and so considering the don't know/don't cares, the anti's are a very minor fringe.

The blind and easy hatred from the left never ceases to surprise me though...

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 11:32 am

My wife was glued to the TV yesterday. Who got married? :???:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 2:37 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My wife was glued to the TV yesterday. Who got married? :???:
I'm now wondering whether you are not joking after all! :o

Here, this should put you in the picture... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/

aster
Manager
Manager

Post by aster » Sun, 01 May 2011 5:07 pm

JR8 wrote:They’re idiots? Well I suppose if you rely upon the tabloids to keep you informed, yes I suppose one might think so. And Diana wasn’t? But she was the only one that managed to bring about her own death... none too bright eh?
Did you step into a time-machine that brought you here from medieval times? :)

Like I said, I don't mind them being clowns in a circus that generates money from global tourism. As long as the monkeys perform their roles and there are spectators giving up $$$ to come to the UK to see them, let things be as they are...

Who exactly are the bright spots in this carbon copy of the Adams family? Andrew? :) Fergie? :D Charles? :D :D

Diana was the most loved and respected person around, and she didn't quite fit in with the degenerate bunch of lowlifes that jokingly refer to themselves as "royalty." As for how she went, I don't think we'll ever find out, though being pregnant with Dodi could have been the nail in the coffin in this case.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 5:40 pm

aster wrote: Did you step into a time-machine that brought you here from medieval times? :)

Morning Aster,

The vast majority of Britains are monarchists so I don't see that it is up to me to explain myself. It would be rather like asking a right-handed person why they are that way wouldn't it? Rather I think it down to you to elaborate on having a fringe opinion, after all most Brits simply won't understand it. That said I'm not convinced that you understand it yourself.

Like I said, I don't mind them being clowns in a circus that generates money from global tourism. As long as the monkeys perform their roles and there are spectators giving up $$$ to come to the UK to see them, let things be as they are...

A suggestion: learn to hate less.

Who exactly are the bright spots in this carbon copy of the Adams family? Andrew? :) Fergie? :D Charles? :D :D

Do you think these people should somehow be perfect, without human frailties? Do you apply this rule to other people, yourself perhaps?

Diana was the most loved and respected person around,

By whom? Sadly the woman was a fool who tried to manipulate the media for her own ends, only to find it bite back with a vengeance. It is interesting that you suggest the foibles of other royals, but not Lady Diana's, as she had many, and glaring ones. It is also interesting that you question why people wish to turn out to see a Royal wedding, but not the legions that turned out for Dina's funeral.

and she didn't quite fit in with the degenerate bunch of lowlifes

I don't think she was going to fit in anywhere. She reminds me of someone I once knew and I suspect she was on a path to self-destruction from her child-hood.

that jokingly refer to themselves as "royalty." As for how she went, I don't think we'll ever find out, though being pregnant with Dodi could have been the nail in the coffin in this case.

Ah man, you really believe that!? You don't think it might have anything to do with being driven through a tunnel at 90mph by a drunk?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 6:01 pm

JR8 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:My wife was glued to the TV yesterday. Who got married? :???:

Oh. Them. :-s I though it might be somebody important...... :wave:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 6:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
JR8 wrote:

If you're happy with a here-today-gone-tomorrow mafia errand-boy, that's up to you hehe :P

p.s. True story. In about 1998 the US were looking at buying out the freehold of their embassy in Grosvenor square. The freeholder, the Duke of Westminster, said they could have it in return for Boston. That was the end of the negotiations :lol:

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Sun, 01 May 2011 6:50 pm

JR8 wrote:
JR8 wrote: I'm now wondering whether you are not joking after all! :o

If you're happy with a here-today-gone-tomorrow mafia errand-boy, that's up to you hehe :P

p.s. True story. In about 1998 the US were looking at buying out the freehold of their embassy in Grosvenor square. The freeholder, the Duke of Westminster, said they could have it in return for Boston. That was the end of the negotiations :lol:
:lol: :P Fun to be alive!

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 8:02 pm

JR8 wrote: If you're happy with a here-today-gone-tomorrow mafia errand-boy, that's up to you hehe :P
Wat choo talkin' 'bout, holmes! I'm waiting for The Donald to throw his hat into the ring! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rD1Je5uRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDZq-fJSy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cFfBYe9PPk

Not sure if this guys serious or trying to be a comedian or a night show host! Pretty good at all of 'em you ask me! :lol:

Course SE gonna flame me for it! :o

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 8:20 pm

JR8 wrote: If you're happy with a here-today-gone-tomorrow mafia errand-boy, that's up to you hehe :P
Wat choo talkin' 'bout, holmes! I'm waiting for The Donald to throw his hat into the ring! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8rD1Je5uRo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nDZq-fJSy8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cFfBYe9PPk

Not sure if this guys serious or trying to be a comedian or a night show host! Pretty good at all of 'em you ask me! :lol:

Course SE gonna flame me for it! :o
I know that... but hey if you're gonna have a dig at our institutions... :lol:

I'm watching the links with interest (thx). No doubt the libs here will be along shortly to denounce the self-made billionaire 'idiot' :)

I actually think someone like Trump is too real to get the Presidency. These days it always seems to go to a glove-puppet. It would be quite fascinating if he did though.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 8:54 pm

JR8 wrote: I know that... but hey if you're gonna have a dig at our institutions... :lol:
Institutions? All along I though they were just a dysfunctional family who's members liked to go around to parties in Nazi getup! :P

Anyway, they did make a pretty good showing. Hope they "keep it together". :wink:

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 01 May 2011 8:57 pm

Actually, he's scary, but I think he sure couldn't do any worse that what we've has for the past couple of years. At least our foes would think twice.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 01 May 2011 9:19 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Institutions? All along I though they were just a dysfunctional family who's members liked to go around to parties in Nazi getup! :P

Anyway, they did make a pretty good showing. Hope they "keep it together". :wink:
Didn't you know, dressing up as a nazi for a fancy dress party is a British right of passage :lol:

That's the thing though, the lefties will hate them for not being 'perfect role-models', and hate them just as much for being normal human beings. It all seems to boil down to hatred for them.

p.s. The 'Trump Doctrine' :lol:... those links were hilarious!