Singapore Expats Forum

Why dating sites for SG don't work for Indians? :)

Events and gatherings for the 30's Club
User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:06 pm

Darthcoder, your points are valid, and I have to admit, I had to laugh at certain level of humour thrown in in your comments. Having said that, there are few decent ones I know of among many Indian friends (and of various clans/groups too), but that's it; few far out in between, sadly.

And you might be interested to know that SMS is married to an Indian himself and that he is a moderator (so he knows where "certain stupid posters" are posting from).

Having a ":o" moment?

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Location: Boon Keng

Postby Darthcoder » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:13 pm

From what I know he has been married to an Indian (Tamil) lady for about 22+ years( I assume that is where all that Anti-Indian hatred comes from? (Kidding)). I just did not want to point out to anyone's personal life in my post (but you made me break my vow :( ).

I've lurked around this forum enough to know about the main moderators/playa(s) :P on this forum :).

Much Respect.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35106
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:22 pm

Sadly, you couldn't be more wrong. You haven't read enough here, obviously. I'm just as hard on my own country as well. But, you will believe what you want to believe at any rate. I really don't care what you think though, as I know the truth while you only assume. And you know what they say about assumptions.

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Location: Boon Keng

Postby Darthcoder » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:27 pm

First up, I do not care if you bash your own country or not. That in no way compensates or justifies your derogatory posts towards one community/country.

Anyways, now that I am here I will point you out when you do your "Oh you are dumb, you must be from the SUBCONTINENT" thing again :D.

Till then I come in Peace *Offers a Onion Rava Masala Dosa to SMS*

Muchas Gracias :D

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:34 pm

Did you miss Lynx's post?
nutnut

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 3:43 pm

Darthcoder wrote:
Anyways, now that I am here I will point you out when you do your "Oh you are dumb, you must be from the SUBCONTINENT" thing again :D.


Nah, it's usually, "Oh, you're highly educated and have gone far in life, think too highly of yourself, and yet you've posted so many stupid things already. You must be from the SUBCONTINENT."

Darthcoder
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Fri, 27 Jan 2012
Location: Boon Keng

Postby Darthcoder » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 4:30 pm

nakatago wrote:
Darthcoder wrote:
Anyways, now that I am here I will point you out when you do your "Oh you are dumb, you must be from the SUBCONTINENT" thing again :D.


Nah, it's usually, "Oh, you're highly educated and have gone far in life, think too highly of yourself, and yet you've posted so many stupid things already. You must be from the SUBCONTINENT."


Look Look! Oh hi there Playa! :D

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35106
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 5:51 pm

Obviously, one thing stands out already. His reading comprehension isn't what he thinks it is. I would like him to show me one post where I said they were dumb as a race. In fact, one post where I said they are dumb at all.

He's starting off on the right foot anyway. Falling into formation just like a trooper. :roll:

User avatar
nutnut
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1853
Joined: Thu, 24 Nov 2011
Location: The Mainland....

Postby nutnut » Wed, 04 Apr 2012 6:01 pm

Do I detect a hint of Irony here? it's almost too perfect!
nutnut

sweetgazebo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon, 26 Dec 2011

Postby sweetgazebo » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 12:07 am

Darthcoder wrote:.......The Indian girls dress up such that most of their bodies are covered (The Salwar kurta being one of the main dresses worn by ladies countrywide). Now when these guys come abroad they see all these ladies in shorts and revealing outfits and cant help but look (This is the best possible explanation I could come out with, I do not vouch for its 100% authenticity ;) )


Lame reason .... what will all that bollywood actresses in sexy poses and costumes and on top of this, there's the karma sutra....

Indian chaps are slimey, period.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 05 Apr 2012 8:45 am

sweetgazebo wrote:
Darthcoder wrote:.......The Indian girls dress up such that most of their bodies are covered (The Salwar kurta being one of the main dresses worn by ladies countrywide). Now when these guys come abroad they see all these ladies in shorts and revealing outfits and cant help but look (This is the best possible explanation I could come out with, I do not vouch for its 100% authenticity ;) )


Lame reason .... what will all that bollywood actresses in sexy poses and costumes and on top of this, there's the karma sutra....

Indian chaps are slimey, period.


Well he is right in a way. Salwar kurta is the common outfit worn by 'normal' Indian women there on daily basis. Sarees (probably the ones portrayed often by international media - AND Bollywood) are usually for something more ceremonious.

You can blame Bollywood for blowing perception out of proportion (fake punch sounds, ridiculous flying kicks, dancing behind trees and rolling down hills). And Hollywood for emphasising on karma sutra = Indian mentality.

ChrisCH
Regular
Regular
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009

Postby ChrisCH » Sun, 08 Apr 2012 9:52 pm

Wow... just wow. This thread is full of stereotyping and wild generalizations. I knew that there were some racial things going on in Singapore, but some stuff is a bit harsh. I guess that's cause it is an anonymous online forum...

On the dating sites: No idea, but I guess the more sophisticated and educated females only consider factors that can be backed up with measurable facts...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6161691.stm

User avatar
carteki
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1237
Joined: Mon, 28 Apr 2008
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby carteki » Sun, 08 Apr 2012 10:24 pm

Interesting discussion! A coupla thoughts on the subject ...

Why is it that Indian men have a bad rep for coming onto women?

It cannot be because we show more skin than the ladies back home. There doesn't seem to be the same sort of "all foreign women are prostitutes" attitude that there is amongst middle eastern men. I was chatting to some friends about it and it seems that alot of it is because of the caste system in India. This because unless you have the right connections or know the right people you're going to have to stand-out from the crowd in order to be noticed. This is true in all aspects of an indian man's life - not just a relationship. In addition - a man in an Indian household is "god". ALL the women in his household are subordinate to them, so it makes perfect sense that they should have no compuction about leering at a woman and expecting her to fall over and swoon at the attention. The impact of an Indian man can be truly experienced by looking at an Indian woman who no longer has any Indian men in her life. They are "drunk with freedom" as one friend says.

I remember watching a BBC program on dating in India and specifically a discussion with a matchmaker. One of the key attributes for putting a specific girl with a guy was whether or not she was pretty - and most of them were no prince charming. The woman wanted the guy to have a job (no need to be a mega earner, just a job).

I've noticed similar traits amongst the Singaporean Indians - so it doesn't matter if you're brought up in India or not.

crankycrab
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun, 22 Apr 2012

Postby crankycrab » Sun, 22 Apr 2012 12:21 pm

Well! Indian or Not: We are all “typecast”

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35106
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 22 Apr 2012 1:01 pm

At least from your point of view. :-|


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “30's Club”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests