Singapore Expats Forum

PR by family ties - REP doesn't expire?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
beppi
Manager
Manager

PR by family ties - REP doesn't expire?

Postby beppi » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 7:53 pm

From another thread (which I didn't want to turn into this topic:

Mad Scientist wrote:PR does not expire but REP does but under Family Ties REP does not expire too, I think.

Is this correct?!?
If so, how can I change from (currently) employment-based PR to family-based one (I married and had a daughter after getting my PR)?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: PR by family ties - REP doesn't expire?

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 10:04 pm

beppi wrote:From another thread (which I didn't want to turn into this topic:

Mad Scientist wrote:PR does not expire but REP does but under Family Ties REP does not expire too, I think.

Is this correct?!?
If so, how can I change from (currently) employment-based PR to family-based one (I married and had a daughter after getting my PR)?

Beppi,

MS is incorrect on this one. It most certainly does expire after 5 years, or if you managed to renew it just before the change, maybe a 10 year one (no longer available - I managed to get a 10 year one). In fact, the last time, my REP had been expired for almost two years before I renewed it as I was unemployed at the time and I waited until I had a decent job for a year and then renewed it. It was at that time I was informed by the officer that as I was over 55 I no longer had to be employed?!? Was never able to confirm if that was for Family Ties or both though.

They have a strange forked tongue setup for Family Ties PR's though. A minor male PR (2nd Gen) can leave with the family who who gives up their PR but even though there isn't a valid reentry permit for the parent the 2nd Gen still has to do NS unless proper protocol is followed to get him out of it.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 2:20 am

i wasn't unsure until Saint point this out to me.

That is why I said "I think"

This is what was said before

ftopic77553.html&highlight=family+ties

So my assumption is REP will not expire which kind of funny come to think of it as my wife REP was canceled recently as we had not been living here in SG for sometime now. I kinda expect this but maybe I am wrong. If it is so then apologies to the error I have assumed.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 8:43 am

I was given a 5 year REP. Here the link which explains what's required for REP renewal. If you are PR under spousal scheme you only have to produce the following documents

•Singapore blue identity card/Identity card for National Service personnel
•Valid travel document
•Latest REP, if any
•Original marriage certificate
•Singapore Identity Card of Spouse

You don't need to provide proof of employment, CPF statements or Tax assessments, you don't actually need to be employed to get your REP renewed.

Ginner-Sg

Postby Ginner-Sg » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:49 am

Saint wrote:I was given a 5 year REP. Here the link which explains what's required for REP renewal. If you are PR under spousal scheme you only have to produce the following documents

•Valid travel document
•Latest REP, if any

You don't need to provide proof of employment, CPF statements or Tax assessments, you don't actually need to be employed to get your REP renewed.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:10 pm

Saint wrote:I was given a 5 year REP. Here the link which explains what's required for REP renewal. If you are PR under spousal scheme you only have to produce the following documents

•Valid travel document
•Latest REP, if any

Forgot link

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152