Singapore Expats

Hippocratic oath

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Hippocratic oath

Post by JR8 » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 6:14 pm

It seems that my father-in-law has cancer, he had a biopsy today.

The doctor met with my MIL and SIL earlier and gave them the prognosis. Then asked if they wished to tell him. Yes, at that point he did not know.

What happened to patient confidentiality? Do they not practice it in SG?

k1w1
Reporter
Reporter

Post by k1w1 » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:35 am

I'm sorry to hear about your FIL. :cry:

RE: patient confidentiality, from my experience, there is none. The nurse at my gynae office used to talk openly at the reception area to patients about their medications or scan results etc in full hearing shot - more than once I heard some pretty intimate details that really ought not to have been aired like that.

I ended up saying something once when I was paying my bill in a doctor's office and had full view of a few patient names, addresses and their medications... Of course, when I told the receptionist she should consider covering files when people are at the desk, I just got that "blank stare" - so I told her I knew "Bob Green at River Valley Rd" (pointing at his name) and he probably didn't want me knowing he was taking anti-depressants... She still didn't get it. :roll:

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 2:30 am

Thanks K1w1..... wince.... :(

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 4:17 am

My dad before he passed away had a major ops was in High Dependency Ward for a month. The doctor knew that was not much he can do other than prolonging his time with us.
He rounded us up and had a lengthy discussion. Dad did not knew and we did not tell him either till the day he died as we felt there was no point of adding more misery and worries on him. We took him back and cared for him. A week later he died peacefully at his children's home.

This is a tough call and it all depends on your FIL emotional status and how strong he is to take the news.

I pray for your FIL in this tough time
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 4:27 am

Thanks MS, that is a sad story :cry:

My FIL is totally fit able and cogent. I suppose I'm surprised that he seems to be the last one to hear about his own state and health. Anyway, this is perhaps too personal.

Onwards and upwards eh? :)

ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager

Post by ScoobyDoes » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 6:53 pm

JR8 wrote: My FIL is totally fit able and cogent. I suppose I'm surprised that he seems to be the last one to hear about his own state and health. Anyway, this is perhaps too personal.

It is normally the other way around isn't it...... the doctor telling the patient what is wrong then asking the patient 'Are you going to tell your family or will I?' Especially in cases where the patient is fully compos mentis.

But k1wi is also right, here there seems to be little in the way of privacy. I was going for some x-rays last week and the reception area was full of people waiting...... I know who needs a breast scan, who needs to pee in a cup and even how has a herniated disk after seeing their x-ray on the counter.

I think it might be part of the fact that one can lean out of his/her kitchen window and shake hands with his/her neighbour - it's very intimate.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 28 Apr 2011 8:56 pm

But heaven forbid you run from your bed to the bath in the nude with the curtains open and the nosey poker neighbour spying on you sees you starkers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Return to “General Discussions”