Singapore Expats

Employement Pass holder in SING but residing in Malaysia

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Geethapriya

Employement Pass holder in SING but residing in Malaysia

Post by Geethapriya » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 3:55 pm

Hi all,
My Company is going to get me a Valid EP (P2) for Singapore. I will get my salary in S$ and also going to pay taxes to SG gov. But however my husband stays in malaysia and works there. My Manager is allowing me to Work from home in MALAYSIA. So this means I WILL NOT BE STAYING in singapore and Not going to ENTER?EXIT it often but will do rarely on need basis (some meeting in Singapore office etc - some banking transactions etc) . IS THIS ALRIGHT. Does EP (which can be valid for 1 year) has any clause on this. Will MOM be bothered as to WHERE I STAY ?

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Employement Pass holder in SING but residing in Malaysia

Post by singaporeflyer » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 4:10 pm

Geethapriya wrote:Hi all,
My Company is going to get me a Valid EP (P2) for Singapore. I will get my salary in S$ and also going to pay taxes to SG gov. But however my husband stays in malaysia and works there. My Manager is allowing me to Work from home in MALAYSIA. So this means I WILL NOT BE STAYING in singapore and Not going to ENTER?EXIT it often but will do rarely on need basis (some meeting in Singapore office etc - some banking transactions etc) . IS THIS ALRIGHT. Does EP (which can be valid for 1 year) has any clause on this. Will MOM be bothered as to WHERE I STAY ?
Should be ok I feel.wait for SMS /Ksl/Ms to reply

Geethapriya

Re: Employement Pass holder in SING but residing in Malaysia

Post by Geethapriya » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 4:51 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Geethapriya wrote:Hi all,
Should be ok I feel.wait for SMS /Ksl/Ms to reply
Thank you for the reply. I will wait for SMS/Ksl/Ms to reply.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 5:36 pm

The only requirement is that you have a valid work pass, to work in Singapore! So you can live in Malaysia and commute when you like within the work pass period.

There maybe tax issues, that you may need to look at under the residential 183 day rule, discuss with Tax office, in both Countries to be sure.

Geethapriya

Post by Geethapriya » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 6:03 pm

Thanks For the reply ! I will check about the Taxing thing . Since I wont be frequenting SG often and only visit ,say, once in 3 or 4 months (that too if needed) I wanted to clarify.

Thanks all for reading and taking time to reply.

Geethapriya

Post by Geethapriya » Tue, 26 Apr 2011 6:26 pm

I found this....from IRA website

//
I am a foreigner employed by a Singapore company but stationed overseas. Will I be taxed in Singapore?

A: Generally, if a foreign employee is contracted to be stationed outside Singapore to render his services, his salary is not taxable in Singapore though his contract of employment may be concluded in Singapore or his salary is paid in Singapore as the income is sourced outside Singapore. However, if part of his services were rendered in Singapore, the income attributable to this period is subject to Singapore tax.
//

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 5:47 am

As long as you derived income from Singapore employer, you are taxable in SG, if you are thinking of the 183 days rule, it does not apply to you

http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page04.aspx?id=6142

As of your concern of living in JB and working here, many Malaysian commute daily .
Either way if you managed to get out of tax in SG , you will still have to pay PCB Malaysia unless you go undeclare and your employer is in cahoot with you by paying you as monthly expenses on your salary which will resulted in your EP not renewed for dodging the tax in Singapore.

In short, you work here, you earn your income here, you pay your tax here. Capisce ?
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Geethapriya

Post by Geethapriya » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 1:31 pm

Right! I better not worry about any taxing thing and pay tax like I will have to if I was staying physically in SG- I am only concerned about being with my Family!!

Thank you people for the inputs :)

neo83

Re:

Post by neo83 » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 3:51 pm

Geethapriya wrote:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 1:31 pm
Right! I better not worry about any taxing thing and pay tax like I will have to if I was staying physically in SG- I am only concerned about being with my Family!!

Hello,

Hope you are still around.
I am in the same position. EP and I want to live in Malaysia. Have you got any problems ? taxation etc ..

Thanks

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Re:

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 07 Jul 2022 9:10 pm

neo83 wrote:
Thu, 07 Jul 2022 3:51 pm
Geethapriya wrote:
Wed, 27 Apr 2011 1:31 pm

Hello,

Hope you are still around.
I am in the same position. EP and I want to live in Malaysia. Have you got any problems ? taxation etc ..

Thanks
Her last posts was 11 years ago and she only made 5 posts total. I rather you will have a beard like mine if you wait for her replay.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

asbvav

Re:

Post by asbvav » Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:33 am

ksl wrote:
Tue, 26 Apr 2011 5:36 pm
The only requirement is that you have a valid work pass, to work in Singapore! So you can live in Malaysia and commute when you like within the work pass period.

There maybe tax issues, that you may need to look at under the residential 183 day rule, discuss with Tax office, in both Countries to be sure.
Hi this seems a 12 year old post. Is it still valid? MOM website says that if working overseas more than 6 months, you need permission from MOM. My question is does that apply is EP holder is staying out of Singapore 6 months continusly? If a person comes to Singapore every 60-70 days for meetings but mostly stays ourside Singapore. Does he/she needs permission from MOM (to stay more than 6 months outside Singapore)? Understand IRAS issues on TAX implications but person is willing to pay full taxes in Singapore.

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: Re:

Post by singaporeflyer » Sun, 12 Nov 2023 1:03 pm

asbvav wrote:
Sat, 11 Nov 2023 10:33 am
MOM website says that if working overseas more than 6 months, you need permission from MOM.
Where is this said?

Also if you are going to be only attending meetings in SG, why do you need an EP?