Singapore Expats Forum

DP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
jonsy

DP

Postby jonsy » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 7:24 am

hiall, i got to know about this forum from my friend david.
i am an australian and i am currently in ep. i am searching for another job 'coz the salary is really low.
the question is can i quit and thensearch in the one-month-svp or can i quit, apply dp using my spouse's ep and then search?
which according to you is better..thanks, jonsy

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 9:06 am

Why not continue to work until such time as you find another job? At least that way you still have you income coming in, albeit, not the quantum you would like, but a net income is better than net expenditures when in a foreign country, right?

That way, as long as you let your new employer know that you are required to give notice and how long, your new employer can apply for the pass and as soon as the AIP is received, you can turn in your notice with your current employer. OR, if you have the wherewithal, you can always pay your current employer salary in lieu of notice. The choice is yours.

Of course, if you get terminated, you should be able to get on a dependents pass while on the SVP that would be issued upon the termination of your current EP.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:19 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why not continue to work until such time as you find another job?

Chief: my answer would have been - you gotta decide what is right for you ..

especially since now you don't need to cancel the EP before seeking another EP (unlike those days) what stops a person from job hunting while employed ??

(like I do, and I hope my boss is not on this forum .. :D :D )

jonsy

Postby jonsy » Mon, 02 May 2011 7:12 am

sorry for the delayed response!!!!
had been to a couple of interviews. fingers crossed!!
Finally I decided quit my existing job since they asked me to sign a bond for the next 1 year(since they are sending me to their client's place) and on top of it, the pay is really low.
@sundaymorningstaple: thanks mate. i guess you are right. i can get into dp or wait till i get another job and then quit the existing one.
@ecureilx: yeah. i guess i have to decide. i found one of my friends who is in the same situation has taken a brave step by quitting. his case is a lil diff. he is gonna start up a company on his own. i guess i am not that lucky.

Return to “PR, Citizenship, Passes & Visas for Foreigners”