Singapore Expats Forum

PR - Processing time for application

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Makan_explorer

PR - Processing time for application

Postby Makan_explorer » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 1:05 pm

Dear all,

I am a P1 holder who applied for a Singapore PR 4 1/2 months ago. According to the iEnquiry at the ICA website, my application is still pending. In January I did receive a questionaire from ICA on the background (work, education etc) on my close family. Other than that, I have not heard anything. I understand that there are a lot of applications for PRs and all applicants are different and must be reviewed thoroughly and I accept that there will be months of waiting. The purpose of my question here is to try to find out if anyone knows what is normal processing time for an applicant like me.

My background:

I have lived in Singapore since 1999, whereas the last 9 years on an Entrepass. I am currently a P1 holder. My taxable income over the last 3 years has been $300K per year. I hold a university degree from Europe and I am a member of a prestigeous professional organisation here. I am a single "angmoh" male and I don't own a property here. I have never applied for PR before. I applied now, because I thought it would be a good time for several reasons. That is the timing aspect. But the only meaningful reason that I apply for a PR is that Singapore has become home to me. I love the city and its heartlands. This is where I want to continue to stay indefinately and I may very well apply for citizenship one day.

This long waiting time, together with all the "reject stories" is making me a bit nervous though.

Any ideas or thoughts about processing time and such?

Cheers!

Any ideas?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 2:15 pm

How long is a piece of string?

My question would be if you have been earning that kind of bread in the last three years, and you've been here 9 years on a EP/Entrepass, why haven't you bought property here? Sank some roots, or at least in appearances anyway? It would appear, from my POV, that you are milking the economy and investing elsewhere. Does your company hire any locals? What kind of ratio locals to foreigners. Is it manufacturing based or are you a consultant/one man operation who is now worried about the new entrepass requirements and the fact that old pass will soon be required to also fall in line?

The ICA are probably asking the same questions....... :-|

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 2:38 pm

And another major consideration, how old are you?

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 6:11 pm

Saint wrote:And another major consideration, how old are you?

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 6:20 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:How long is a piece of string?

My question would be if you have been earning that kind of bread in the last three years, and you've been here 9 years on a EP/Entrepass, why haven't you bought property here? Sank some roots, or at least in appearances anyway? It would appear, from my POV, that you are milking the economy and investing elsewhere. Does your company hire any locals? What kind of ratio locals to foreigners. Is it manufacturing based or are you a consultant/one man operation who is now worried about the new entrepass requirements and the fact that old pass will soon be required to also fall in line?

The ICA are probably asking the same questions....... :-|

Milking the economy? That was harsh words. I am paying taxes and contributing to the economy otherwise. Why do you think anyone works or sets up a business here? For charity reasons? Anyway, I don't need to be in Singapore to do what I do. In that sense, Singapore is milking me as well and I would think that is a happy symbiotic relationship ;)

I have my reasons for not buying property here or elsewhere. I have been renting and thus contributing to the economy and not inflating the property market further. Perhaps I should get a gold medal for that ;)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 6:39 pm

My words were not meant to be harsh, just factual. I'm giving it to you the way they look at it. If you think otherwise, just look at the requirements for an entrepass today as compared to when you got it. Then, maybe you'll get my drift. I don't say I agree with them, but you are asking for thoughts. My thoughts, are based on being a HR & Finance Manger of a 200 man SME here and the changes I have seen in the gahmen's thought processes during the past 1.5 years regarding EP's, Entrepass's and PR's. If you've been here 9 years, obviously you read the papers as well. It does sound like you are an independent consultant though, and that's probably why it's taking so long. Their definition of contributing to the economy is "employing" Singaporeans. Not you making money and stashing it overseas on in the bank. You think you are contributing to the economy? You are just contributing to the government coffers (tax dollars). Doesn't do anything for the economy at all. Employment of others will.

Sorry if you took my response as harsh. :-|

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 7:03 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:My words were not meant to be harsh, just factual. I'm giving it to you the way they look at it. If you think otherwise, just look at the requirements for an entrepass today as compared to when you got it. Then, maybe you'll get my drift. I don't say I agree with them, but you are asking for thoughts. My thoughts, are based on being a HR & Finance Manger of a 200 man SME here and the changes I have seen in the gahmen's thought processes during the past 1.5 years regarding EP's, Entrepass's and PR's. If you've been here 9 years, obviously you read the papers as well. It does sound like you are an independent consultant though, and that's probably why it's taking so long. Their definition of contributing to the economy is "employing" Singaporeans. Not you making money and stashing it overseas on in the bank. You think you are contributing to the economy? You are just contributing to the government coffers (tax dollars). Doesn't do anything for the economy at all. Employment of others will.

Sorry if you took my response as harsh. :-|

You are correct. I am an independent consultant, but I have hired people from time to time when necessary. I definately disagree with you when you say that I don't contribute to the economy. Employment is not the only channel of contribution to an economy. In North-Korea, they are all employed, but that does not do anything for their economy ;) I won't start a discussion on economics. That was not the purpose.

Yes, the entrepass requirements are different now than before. I will have no problems complying with the new requirements if imposed on my business. I am planning to expand anyway and would thus comply.

By the way, I was employed for two years prior to getting my employment pass, so I have contributed for 11 years. Thats how I see it and hopefully thats the way they see it. Time will tell. I will notify you of my result :)

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:54 pm

Makan_explorer wrote:I definately disagree with you when you say that I don't contribute to the economy. Employment is not the only channel of contribution to an economy. In North-Korea, they are all employed, but that does not do anything for their economy ;) I won't start a discussion on economics. That was not the purpose.

You aren't disagreeing with me, you are disagreeing with the gubmint. I didn't say it was my opinion.
;-)

Yes, the entrepass requirements are different now than before. I will have no problems complying with the new requirements if imposed on my business. I am planning to expand anyway and would thus comply.

By the way, I was employed for two years prior to getting my employment pass, so I have contributed for 11 years. Thats how I see it and hopefully thats the way they see it. Time will tell. I will notify you of my result :)

You were working here illegally? :o

You will probably get it, but they are probably trying to figure out a way that won't cause them to seem to show favoritism. Will be interesting to see how long they take though.

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 2:40 pm

SMS, good observation. It was totally legal though. I was attached to a diplomatic mission in Singapore for two years with a diplomatic pass and a 2-year visa. I was working at the trade and commercial division. It is a visa issued by MFA and not ICA or MOM.

I fell in love with Singapore long before that. It was love at first sight when I visited in 1990 as an 18-year old. Hopefully Singapore loves me too :)

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 9:38 pm

Makan_explorer wrote:SMS, good observation. It was totally legal though. I was attached to a diplomatic mission in Singapore for two years with a diplomatic pass and a 2-year visa. I was working at the trade and commercial division. It is a visa issued by MFA and not ICA or MOM.

I fell in love with Singapore long before that. It was love at first sight when I visited in 1990 as an 18-year old. Hopefully Singapore loves me too :)

Mostly based on what u said you would likely get your pr. Just wait for some time.good luck !

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 4:46 pm

A quick update.

A piece of string is approximately 11 months. I am now officially a Singapore Permanent Resident. I did not do anything to attempt to speed up the process and I was only contacted once to fill out a form.

Thank you Singapore!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 6:20 pm

Congratulations. 11 months in your case. Some have been waiting longer than that and it's doubtful that many have your background of having been on a diplomatic Pass as well.

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 6:30 pm

Thanks, my friend!

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 19 Oct 2011 9:27 pm

Makan_explorer wrote:Thanks, my friend!
Congratulations which Country are you from just curious?

Makan_explorer

Postby Makan_explorer » Sun, 23 Oct 2011 12:15 am

Scandinavia ;)