Singapore Expats Forum

Tax and Employment pass issue

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Tax and Employment pass issue

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:07 pm

Hi.

I am a malaysian. i have been working in singapore last year from april to july and my working days around in singapore is about 90+ days and im holding an EP.

since my working days in sigapore is more than 60 days and less than 183 days, i shud be subjected to the taxes policy which set by IRAS. But, i dont know this issue last year which after i resigned, i go back to my own country and also my previous employer paid all my salary to me. which is a weird case, normally employer will deduct ur salary to paid for the tax but not my employer. is that he paid the tax for me? or he dont file in ?

because now i stil manage to enter singapore without any issue and i get my new job now, which my EP is processing.

in this situation, i dont know whether i have been subjected to the taxes or not?? is there be any issue if i want to get a job in singapore when applying EP again ?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Tax and Employment pass issue

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:30 pm

BryanSin wrote:since my working days in sigapore is more than 60 days and less than 183 days, i shud be subjected to the taxes policy which set by IRAS. But, i dont know this issue last year which after i resigned, i go back to my own country and also my previous employer paid all my salary to me. which is a weird case, normally employer will deduct ur salary to paid for the tax but not my employer. is that he paid the tax for me? or he dont file in ?

because now i stil manage to enter singapore without any issue and i get my new job now, which my EP is processing.

in this situation, i dont know whether i have been subjected to the taxes or not?? is there be any issue if i want to get a job in singapore when applying EP again ?


Your employer not holding your pay is NOT ABNORMAL.

And check IRAS, and they are the only people who can advice you on your tax issues..

Alternate, they can add on to your new EP, when you get your new EP, but it is better always to check with IRAS

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:35 pm

because if my employer didnt hold my pay, and he filed in my case, he will have to paid for the tax if i have been subjected.

this issue, after i went back to malaysia then i only discover so that time nothing much i can do.

but when i come over singapore thats no problem for my entry and i dont even receive any letter from iras in singapore address.

just call to IRAS and ask whether i owe them taxes or not ?

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:49 pm

Isn't there a 22k threshold before tax is payable? So if you was here only 60 days, I shouldn't worry about it. Though legally it's the home country you need to worry if under the 183 day limit.

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:53 pm

means? your total salary up to 22k only subjected to tax?

i think there is still a condition which u worked more than 60 days and less than 183 days u will be subjected to a 15% taxes?


any one can guide me on this ?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:55 pm

ksl wrote:Isn't there a 22k threshold before tax is payable? So if you was here only 60 days, I shouldn't worry about it.


Chief: correction:the 22K is only for annual tax. Less than 60 days and so, they have a different process. And an email to IRAS will clear that exactly as to how to work that out.

Additionally, I had a friend who was in the same situation as the OP and when she came back and applied for another EP, thinking that her employer had paid the past taxes for 60 days or so, and when she made an enquiry to IRAS, she was assessed on 15% I think, and was asked to Pay NOW- and when went to the Blue Building and told that she is now on continued employment, she was still told to pay up, and the next year assessment, it was offset as 'tax paid in advance'

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 6:57 pm

BryanSin wrote:means? your total salary up to 22k only subjected to tax?

i think there is still a condition which u worked more than 60 days and less than 183 days u will be subjected to a 15% taxes?


any one can guide me on this ?


Call to IRAS, and quote your previous FIN #, they have everything recorded ..

Email may take a couple of days for them to respond.

Cheers

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 7:01 pm

is there a possibility of nt being charged?

i will call them up tomolo, currently im employed, but i think i have to bear the tax myself.

my EP application being submitted, wonder will it be affected

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 7:07 pm

BryanSin wrote:is there a possibility of nt being charged?

i will call them up tomolo, currently im employed, but i think i have to bear the tax myself.

my EP application being submitted, wonder will it be affected


You mean if they will waive ?? errr .. from my experience, Tax Depts don't waive, and in Singapore, they will make you pay, and then if they made a mistake, they will offset it ..

Nobody other than IRAS can answer your question ..

For the EP thing - not that I am aware of any issues -- maybe others can clarify that ..

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 8:01 pm

how if my previous employer dont file in the tax? means IRAS there dont have my record? i was so worrying bout that else nth i can do now, cz IRAS working hours is on 8am - 5pm ~

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 8:11 pm

BryanSin wrote:how if my previous employer dont file in the tax? means IRAS there dont have my record? i was so worrying bout that else nth i can do now, cz IRAS working hours is on 8am - 5pm ~


Seriously mate, IRAS has everything - from what time you were born .. (no-that's kidding)

If you worry so much, as I worried, when I was jobless and not having paid the tax, I didn't think twice, and took my time to go to IRAS :)

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 9:10 pm

If you are in Singapore less than 183 days in the tax year you will be assessed taxes at a rate of 15% on ALL income, regardless of amount (e.g., if you earned 10K here then your taxes would be $1,500). Actually it's 15% or the actual tax rates, whichever is higher. Once you have been here more than 183 days, you can file an amended tax return and they will refund the taxes back to you if you straddle both years whether or not you have a job (as long as you are still here. This is calendar days, not work days.

If your employment pass is good for 12 months, and you received it in the second half of the year, you will automatically be given resident tax rates but if you should leave before having been here a total of 183 days (say you started working in November for 5K/mo) and you left end Feb the following year, your taxes would be $1500 for the first year and $1500 for the second year. this would be reflected when the employer files the IR-21 Tax Clearance.

http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uploadedFil ... ulator.xls

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:53 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are in Singapore less than 183 days in the tax year you will be assessed taxes at a rate of 15% on ALL income, regardless of amount (e.g., if you earned 10K here then your taxes would be $1,500). Actually it's 15% or the actual tax rates, whichever is higher. Once you have been here more than 183 days, you can file an amended tax return and they will refund the taxes back to you if you straddle both years whether or not you have a job (as long as you are still here. This is calendar days, not work days.

If your employment pass is good for 12 months, and you received it in the second half of the year, you will automatically be given resident tax rates but if you should leave before having been here a total of 183 days (say you started working in November for 5K/mo) and you left end Feb the following year, your taxes would be $1500 for the first year and $1500 for the second year. this would be reflected when the employer files the IR-21 Tax Clearance.

http://iras.gov.sg/irasHome/uploadedFil ... ulator.xls


hi SMS,

i dont know whether my employers got file in for me or not. because that i never receive any letters, NONE OF ONE, never receive any complaint, and i can enter singapore and go out without any issues.

izzit means that if my employer dont file in , then it should be allright ? im quite blur

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:59 pm

How many days were you in Singapore totally, working or not working? More than 183 days during the whole year? If so, you wouldn't have hand any tax liability.

BryanSin
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Postby BryanSin » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:01 pm

since my working days in sigapore is more than 60 days and less than 183 days, i shud be subjected to the taxes policy which set by IRAS. But, i dont know this issue last year which after i resigned, i go back to my own country and also my previous employer paid all my salary to me. which is a weird case, normally employer will deduct ur salary to paid for the tax but not my employer. is that he paid the tax for me? or he dont file in ?

p/s : if i subjected to tax, why i can enter and leave singapore without any issues now.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests