Singapore Expats Forum

Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employment

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

loone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employment

Postby loone » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 9:59 am

Hi !!

I will be working as a Co Ordinator/telesales until i get my exams for financial advisor so im guessing salary isnt that good ?(early stage of employment in process not finalised ) I am really wondering about everything especially childcare expences etc, Age of starting school etc, where to live near finance cenre as cheap but nice!! How much cash really to bring ,could i live on 200euro a week until a salary comes in ?? Im terrified especially moving as a single mum :o Any advice on anything would be grateful i know im asking alot but any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for your help :)

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employm

Postby JayCee » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:24 am

loone wrote:Hi !!

I will be working as a Co Ordinator/telesales until i get my exams for financial advisor so im guessing salary isnt that good ?(early stage of employment in process not finalised ) I am really wondering about everything especially childcare expences etc, Age of starting school etc, where to live near finance cenre as cheap but nice!! How much cash really to bring ,could i live on 200euro a week until a salary comes in ?? Im terrified especially moving as a single mum :o Any advice on anything would be grateful i know im asking alot but any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for your help :)


Read the forum

beirnes
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed, 16 Feb 2011
Location: Dublin

Living

Postby beirnes » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:29 am

Hi, I've recently arrived here from Ireland. It's a very impresive place but the two most expensive items are rent & alcohol. 200Euros is over SG$350 equates to 50 a day, this is enough to survive on not including any accomodation or social life! Public transport is really cheap too.

loone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

@JayCee

Postby loone » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:20 am

@JayCee
I have read the forum i havent seen anything from a single mum moving on their own hence i posted mine :)

loone
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 19 Apr 2011

thanks

Postby loone » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:24 am

@beirnes
thanks for de info , dont think i'll hav much of a social life until im settled and find a good babysitter and figure out schooling which i still cant find school age for starting terms etc!!! I look accomadation up it is very expensive!! I am getting help with this first couple of month with my company luckily!!! How are u finding the move??

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: thanks

Postby ksl » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 4:24 pm

loone wrote:@beirnes
thanks for de info , dont think i'll hav much of a social life until im settled and find a good babysitter and figure out schooling which i still cant find school age for starting terms etc!!! I look accommodation up it is very expensive!! I am getting help with this first couple of month with my company luckily!!! How are u finding the move??
Baby sitter, you are going to need a full time maid I would think. Even kindergarten will cost you a fair bit. To have a full time maid is around 800 to 1k. I can see you will have problems unless you can share with another single mum out here, there are a few.

But sharing may help you out. This City is a place were u can get ripped off very easy, so be very aware of what you are doing and double check with those with experience may help you avoid some pitfalls. Primary school is 6 and difficult to get in school because Singaporeans have priority.

URL CENSORED DUE TO COPYRIGHT ISSUES

This one appears expensive probably private, the NTUC is the cheapest http://www.chinesekindergarten.org/

I would also suggest you rent just 1 room with a family and maid, it may help you financially a great deal and relieve you of a lot of pressure.

One thing about Asian families is that they are normally pretty good with kids, though maids need families do need monitoring, has there has been some maid abuse on children and this society is no different to anywhere, when it comes to sex offenders and abusers so just be cautious.

Normally a camera in the house will pick it up, and you can log into the Internet and monitor your child left at home.

You will find NTUC childcare contact number on this link http://www.tampineszone.com/ES-childcare2.htm

Though check out the moderator SMS links page just under his signature he's got many useful links too. He's helpful if you leave any questions on the thread that others cannot answer

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employm

Postby BillyB » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 5:23 pm

loone wrote:Hi !!

I will be working as a Co Ordinator/telesales until i get my exams for financial advisor so im guessing salary isnt that good ?(early stage of employment in process not finalised ) I am really wondering about everything especially childcare expences etc, Age of starting school etc, where to live near finance cenre as cheap but nice!! How much cash really to bring ,could i live on 200euro a week until a salary comes in ?? Im terrified especially moving as a single mum :o Any advice on anything would be grateful i know im asking alot but any advice would be fantastic. Thanks in advance for your help :)


I think it's great that you are grabbing the bull by the horns and moving out to SG, especially with a child. I wish you all the very best.

However, I'll be frank here as moving to SG is a big commitment and quite costly - the IFA market (I'm presuming thats what you are going to be doing - selling Insurance wrapped investments) is shady at best. I'm sure you've had the pitch about how much you can earn, how great the products are, how friendly your firm is. At the end of the day its a numbers game. People are pretty clued up to the industry and its a very tough sell. Additionally, if you are going to be targetting the locals too - forget it, they won't deal with you.

I'd have a serious think if its really a good move as you could be left in the cold, with fixed costs to meet each month and end up stranded miles from home. A couple of guys I know tried their luck in the IFA game here as they were promised big salaries, great leads etc. the normal spiel. The only thing they got off the company were their exam fee's. They ended up on commission only remuneration and made sod all in 6 months and had to go home. One was single so it wasn't too much of a big deal for him, but the other had a family and he used his savings to pay for school fee's for his kids and then without making even enough to live on got hit pretty hard.

Singapore is not somewhere to come on a shoestring budget and 'wing it' hoping you'll make a living. Accept a lower salary to get your foot in the door perhaps, but don't be reliant on a market that doesn't exist and is over saturated already. Sorry to sound harsh, but you are taking a pretty big risk and could end up with everything going down the pan.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employm

Postby JayCee » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 5:32 pm

BillyB wrote:I think it's great that you are grabbing the bull by the horns and moving out to SG, especially with a child. I wish you all the very best.

However, I'll be frank here as moving to SG is a big commitment and quite costly - the IFA market (I'm presuming thats what you are going to be doing - selling Insurance wrapped investments) is shady at best. I'm sure you've had the pitch about how much you can earn, how great the products are, how friendly your firm is. At the end of the day its a numbers game. People are pretty clued up to the industry and its a very tough sell. Additionally, if you are going to be targetting the locals too - forget it, they won't deal with you.

I'd have a serious think if its really a good move as you could be left in the cold, with fixed costs to meet each month and end up stranded miles from home. A couple of guys I know tried their luck in the IFA game here as they were promised big salaries, great leads etc. the normal spiel. The only thing they got off the company were their exam fee's. They ended up on commission only remuneration and made sod all in 6 months and had to go home. One was single so it wasn't too much of a big deal for him, but the other had a family and he used his savings to pay for school fee's for his kids and then without making even enough to live on got hit pretty hard.

Singapore is not somewhere to come on a shoestring budget and 'wing it' hoping you'll make a living. Accept a lower salary to get your foot in the door perhaps, but don't be reliant on a market that doesn't exist and is over saturated already. Sorry to sound harsh, but you are taking a pretty big risk and could end up with everything going down the pan.


+1

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 11:00 pm

Loone, I'll echo BillyB's comments. THINK, THINK, THINK before you get on that plane. However shitty Ireland is at the moment, you will at least have something resembling a support system there. Here you are on your own. It may not be what you want to hear, but I really don't think Singapore is the right place for you under the circumstances you've outlined.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

dokekee
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri, 13 Nov 2009

Postby dokekee » Tue, 03 May 2011 11:04 am

Hi, I'm a Singaporean mum with 2 kids. I would love to help in any way I can.
Do you have Skype? You can contact me at doke.kee@gmail.com for any questions you have on Singapore.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35123
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 03 May 2011 1:02 pm

:???: registered in 2009 and this is your first post? :-|

bla bla bla
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 17 May 2016

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employment

Postby bla bla bla » Tue, 17 May 2016 5:36 pm

Hi guys, I am new here..

it kinda not related but I want to know how is the business for tele marketing in Singapore.. Since I am a foreign student and heard that handling Singaporeans are extremely difficult in terms of tele-sales.

Any Idea on how to tackle this and why they are so difficult to convince?

Thank you in advance

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11062
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employment

Postby Strong Eagle » Tue, 17 May 2016 10:43 pm

bla bla bla wrote:Hi guys, I am new here..

it kinda not related but I want to know how is the business for tele marketing in Singapore.. Since I am a foreign student and heard that handling Singaporeans are extremely difficult in terms of tele-sales.

Any Idea on how to tackle this and why they are so difficult to convince?

Thank you in advance


EVERYBODY hates telemarketers. Don't EVER call me about anything.

User avatar
adeline.35
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon, 03 Nov 2014
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Contact:

Re: Single Mum o 3yr old relocating from ireland wit employment

Postby adeline.35 » Wed, 18 May 2016 11:08 am

My number is registered under DNC list.
If any telmarketer call. I will report to PDPC.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests