BEST Pizza in Singapore!!

Share your favourite eating haunts!
Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Re: BEST Pizza in Singapore!!

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 11 Dec 2020 10:58 pm

Some of the best pizza I’ve had in Singapore is from John’s Pizzeria. They have a couple outlets, but the ones that I frequent are the Alexandra outlet and the newly opened one at Lorong Kilat. They serve NY style thin crust pizza, but the draw for me is their Detroit style deep dish. Unlike Chicago deep dish, which has a buttery, almost biscuit-like crust, Detroit deep dish is similar to a Sicilian, with a thick, chewy rectangular crust. The ones at John’s are made with a sourdough crust, and have crispy burnt cheese on the sides. Delicious!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:11 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 16 Nov 2020 1:18 pm
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 15 Nov 2020 3:48 pm
Honestly, I’ve not come across a lot of great pizza joints in Singapore. Back in the day, I was a fan of Rocky’s, but they went downhill in a big way (suspect they went cheap on the ingredients).

For a decent pizza on the cheap, the options here are extremely limited. Little Caesars hot and ready is ok (for the price) and Il Piccolo located in a Toa Payoh hawker center is still there. Those would be my two budget picks. To upgrade from there, Bella Pizza on Robertson Quay is one of the better pizzas I’ve had here in my 24 years.

The issue with most pizza here, whether its Modesto’s or Pepporoni, etc... the crust is just too thin for me, too dry and hard, almost like cardboard.
Rocky's was started by Frank Vespa and Dan (?) - two former Navy Seals / Divers. Frank is an American Sicilian from Boston so a Pizza was a Pie and his pizzas were excellent. They sold out once the stupid landlords started doing the usual shite with the rent hikes and it was never the same - I think they sold in the late 90s. SMS knows them as well. Maybe you do too if you've been around that long? Their Sunset Way outlet was great but the one outlet that did the best was in the Peranakan Place area - the LL tried to TRIPLE the rent when he saw how well it was doing (it was packed every night). Frank just about killed him - they had to pull Frank off the stupid Chinaman quick smart.

I like Pizzaola out in Jalan Riang (they have a few outlets).
Rocky’s was my family’s favorite pizza spot back in the day. We used to take our daughter to the sunset way outlet once or twice a month. We’d get an extra large mushroom and then watch them make it in the window. It’s such a pity they closed down, my daughter was so upset.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 6:43 pm

Although I’ve not tried it yet, but the origin, setup, customers and the smell at John’s Pizzeria at Alexandra Central Mall make me think it might just be the next Rocky’s.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 26 Feb 2021 7:20 pm

After all, PNGMK, Singapore DOES have the 2nd highest incidence of myopia in the world. Only beaten by Taiwan. (2019).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:27 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Fri, 26 Feb 2021 12:11 pm
PNGMK wrote:
malcontent wrote:
Sun, 15 Nov 2020 3:48 pm
Honestly, I’ve not come across a lot of great pizza joints in Singapore. Back in the day, I was a fan of Rocky’s, but they went downhill in a big way (suspect they went cheap on the ingredients).

For a decent pizza on the cheap, the options here are extremely limited. Little Caesars hot and ready is ok (for the price) and Il Piccolo located in a Toa Payoh hawker center is still there. Those would be my two budget picks. To upgrade from there, Bella Pizza on Robertson Quay is one of the better pizzas I’ve had here in my 24 years.

The issue with most pizza here, whether its Modesto’s or Pepporoni, etc... the crust is just too thin for me, too dry and hard, almost like cardboard.
Rocky's was started by Frank Vespa and Dan (?) - two former Navy Seals / Divers. Frank is an American Sicilian from Boston so a Pizza was a Pie and his pizzas were excellent. They sold out once the stupid landlords started doing the usual shite with the rent hikes and it was never the same - I think they sold in the late 90s. SMS knows them as well. Maybe you do too if you've been around that long? Their Sunset Way outlet was great but the one outlet that did the best was in the Peranakan Place area - the LL tried to TRIPLE the rent when he saw how well it was doing (it was packed every night). Frank just about killed him - they had to pull Frank off the stupid Chinaman quick smart.

Rocky’s was my family’s favorite pizza spot back in the day. We used to take our daughter to the sunset way outlet once or twice a month. We’d get an extra large mushroom and then watch them make it in the window. It’s such a pity they closed down, my daughter was so upset.
Did you ever meet Frank the owner? He actually runs a restaurant in Sarasota FL now (or did, he may have sold it). I agree, they were very good. Frank made them as "Boston Pies" rather than the cardboard imitations sold here.

Here is Frank opening a place in 2010: http://grandopenings.blogs.heraldtribun ... ng-pantry/
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:28 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Fri, 26 Feb 2021 7:20 pm
After all, PNGMK, Singapore DOES have the 2nd highest incidence of myopia in the world. Only beaten by Taiwan. (2019).
Ah yes, and not just in the eyes but in their pocket books too.

Imagine if the Chinaman had said "hey Frank, great pizza - let's form a Franchise outfit and I'll buy in with my rent?"

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:35 am

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:35 am

malcontent wrote:
Fri, 26 Feb 2021 6:43 pm
Although I’ve not tried it yet, but the origin, setup, customers and the smell at John’s Pizzeria at Alexandra Central Mall make me think it might just be the next Rocky’s.
I'll keep it in mind!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:55 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:27 am
Lisafuller wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

Did you ever meet Frank the owner? He actually runs a restaurant in Sarasota FL now (or did, he may have sold it). I agree, they were very good. Frank made them as "Boston Pies" rather than the cardboard imitations sold here.

Here is Frank opening a place in 2010: http://grandopenings.blogs.heraldtribun ... ng-pantry/
We take trips to Sarasota every time we are back in Miami. I’ll make sure to keep a lookout the next time I’m there.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:23 am

Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:55 am
PNGMK wrote:
Lisafuller wrote:

We take trips to Sarasota every time we are back in Miami. I’ll make sure to keep a lookout the next time I’m there.
He may have moved. Look at the pizza! https://www.yourobserver.com/photo/phot ... ery-checks

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor

Post by Lisafuller » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 10:41 am

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 11:23 am
Lisafuller wrote:
Mon, 01 Mar 2021 10:55 am
PNGMK wrote:

He may have moved. Look at the pizza! https://www.yourobserver.com/photo/phot ... ery-checks
Looks delicious, but it looks like it’s Italian style instead of American like when it was in Singapore.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Tue, 02 Mar 2021 11:54 am

Yeah he may have changed styles or maybe offers both. Please go and check.