Singapore Expats

Aircon or fan for maids ?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 23 Apr 2011 4:29 pm

Well, most people (rightly) expect a level of professionalism when they hire people to work within their home, and I think posting pictures, even if nothing is recognizable may not be in keeping with that ideal. It's a can of worms best left unopened.

And yes, you do give heaps of information, but if you were give advice based on assumptions and no real information, then you'd be at fault as well. Also, don't you usually wait for people to ask for help?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 23 Apr 2011 11:09 pm

ksl wrote:
I never set mine cooler than the lowest fan setting and 22 or 23. I can't stand to have cold air blowing on me either, but our choices are stifling hot and mosquito bites with mouldy furniture and clothes or cooler air/con some of the day.
It sounds like ignorance isn't bliss after all, and that you are living in a very unhealthy environment which can easily cuase permanant respiration lung damage.

SMS you should know better that temperature and humidity are two different things are you saying that the humidity is the same as Singapore of course http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AHum ... al_climate.

I mean Dubai is also often over 40c but very dry heat compared to a damp subtropical climate.
No, I'm talking about Singapore vrs Louisiana. Louisiana wins hands down. Both Temp and humidity. Louisiana has a relative humidity that runs near 98 to 100% during the summer months. Maryland's humidity runs around 85% as we are on the Atlantic seaboard but with 35-42 C temps during the summer. That is comparable with Singapore except we have much higher temps during the summer months, and the lower Temps also have very high humidity due to the proximity to the Atlantic. Louisiana's temps are up to the low 40's as well. Singapore average humidity runs from a low of around 60% up to around 95% according to NEA's Met Service. I could care less about WikiCrap. People write all kinds of crap there. I am also talking about Singapore, not all of S.E. Asia.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Sun, 24 Apr 2011 12:59 am

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:
Yes, I believe mold is everywhere here in Singapore to some degree and my woes are based on the age of our home, it's placement on the lot, the amount of trees, the amount of sunlight, etc... but not on our use of air/cons, since using the air/cons reduces the amount of mold.

You're in the business, I get it. But I don't think you have enough information to really assess the situation.
Yes, Mold is everywhere, it helps in the decomposition of nature (Outdoors), it is just that mold should not be found in the house / apartment (Indoors).

Hmmmm... Yes, i don't know where the root of your problem stems from, but just by you mentioning that you have been throwing stuff out, means it has been some time that you have this problem, and I am in fact quite sure that your AC's are infected (the ones that are in the same rooms as your moldy furniture).

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote: Well, most people (rightly) expect a level of professionalism when they hire people to work within their home, and I think posting pictures, even if nothing is recognizable may not be in keeping with that ideal. It's a can of worms best left unopened.

And yes, you do give heaps of information, but if you were give advice based on assumptions and no real information, then you'd be at fault as well. Also, don't you usually wait for people to ask for help?
Well, I am very professional in what i do and nobody will know who my customers are.
FYI, This customer, after looking through my website, feels that i will be the best person to share her plight, of her purchases from that furniture company (2 big wardrobes). Thus i do have permission, in fact, her full blessing to post and share it.

Yes, I have seen and have learned from the even more information that the regulars / posters post. (NS, Immigration, PR matters..... Issues faced by the expats) Most posters really try to help, some you have to listen with a pinch of salt and then decide, apply or discard.
As i am not here to do business, i try to share what i know, to give good advice to the people who needs help and sometimes also go out of my way to help solve their problems.

When it is for business, i usually wait for people to ask.

So long as my conscious is clear, am not infringing this forum's rules and if there are still people with mold / hygiene problems, I will continue to share. Peace.

btw MHB, do you have the really tiny bugs on your walls? (Sesame seed size)

Photo taken from a customer last week, of the moldy back boards of a V-Ive wardrobe (less than 6 months old), and when i tested for molds in her AC, infected (also less than 6 months old). And to top it off, her son (11 Yrs old) was just diagnosed with having Asthma.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Re: Aircon or fan for maids ?

Post by Pal » Sat, 07 Oct 2017 11:01 pm

Just restored this thread
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 3:16 pm

Hi everyone...

I know this is an old thread but just want to ask for some advice...

We haven't moved to Singapore yet but i have been looking at potential places on .... The "maids rooms" in general seem "tiny" and not comfortable at all. I cannot imagine a bed and a dresser fitting in those rooms advertised.

Ive been looking at 4 bedrooms (we need 3 + a helpers room) but I considered a 4 bed so she can have a decent room. My only concern is that the bathrooms between most 2 or 3 rooms other than the master seem to be "shared" and I want her to be comfortable with her own bathroom and proper place for her toiletries etc instead of sharing one with the kids. In the UAE, most bedrooms come with their own bathrooms ensuite and the helpers rooms included. The size is pretty decent compared to what I have seen online from the floorpans posted. Currently our helper has a proper sized bed, bed side table,), a dresser and a built in closet in her room + ensuite bathroom. We are hoping for a similar decent sized room for her in Singapore as well.

Does anyone know of a good compound/condominium that might offer this? Or a compound/condominium that has a decently sized helpers room.I am thinking the older ones might but i did not seem to find any so far. Also, it seems that the norm is that the helper's room comes with no AC. We would like her to have an AC too. Will this be allowed by the landlord (for us to install one) or would we run into potential issues with installing one..

Many thanks in advance!

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Pal » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 3:22 pm

Some of the condos do have 4 bedrooms with ensuites for all the bedrooms. Or ensure that the condo has at least 4 bathrooms.

Of cos your budget and location will also need to match the requirements.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Sun, 14 Mar 2021 3:27 pm

Thank you for your quick reply. We have a decent budget( i think!). Location wise, we thought the east coast or central Singapore (orchard, bukit timah)

Do you know any names of condos that would have this? Will help us alot with our search as the ones online currently don't seem to have this as a norm.

Appreciate it!

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:19 am

It's very rarely the norm Kat to have a larger maids room with an attached bath in your usual 1100 to 2000 fts condos. We have a more fortunate out where the smaller bathroom that we rarely use is adjacent to the maids room and easy for her to get to.

For what it's worth the main issue is that the FDW's want a private room, even if small that is adequate. Some Singaporeans make their FDW's share rooms with kids for example so even a small room with a fan is a win.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 1:52 pm

Yes, privacy is the key. After staying FDW free for almost 2 decades we recently hired one and during interview we gave all of them a choice: stay in a regular room with some of our stuff that we would need to access on rather regular bases or have the bomb shelter on her own. All of them opted for the bomb shelter. Earlier, we had a lot of hesitation to let somebody live in a bomb shelter but apparently they see it differently, at least vast majority who we interviewed. Of course it goes with a fan, curtains and other obvious additions. Plus I installed homeplug for Internet.

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 1:58 pm

Thank you both for your replies. Definitely interesting to know!

If our helper does opt for small helper's room in the typical layouts , can we install an AC without running into potential issues from the landlord? I honestly just prefer if she has the personal choice of an AC or a fan while she's resting/sleeping. We can get both but here in the UAE, its hard for tenants to make changes with the landlord approving a major change like drilling the wall and installing an ac unit(will be very costly when its time to handover the units back here) ...

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:28 pm

A fan - likely no problem, AC - rather challenging. For old condos with a real helper's room, probably the only option the LL would agree is to install the window type of AC, but then she has no window. A portable AC could be another option.

abbby
Manager
Manager
Answers: 2

Post by abbby » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:30 pm

You might need landlord's approval for installing an aircon. If owner is fine with that, go ahead..sounds good for the helper. Landlord might want to you reinstate it after you return the unit.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. - Groucho Marx (1890-1977)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:34 pm

kat.l wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 1:58 pm
Thank you both for your replies. Definitely interesting to know!

If our helper does opt for small helper's room in the typical layouts , can we install an AC without running into potential issues from the landlord? I honestly just prefer if she has the personal choice of an AC or a fan while she's resting/sleeping. We can get both but here in the UAE, its hard for tenants to make changes with the landlord approving a major change like drilling the wall and installing an ac unit(will be very costly when its time to handover the units back here) ...
I wouldn't do it. Our helpers preferred non aircon for sleeping, it's what they are used to and if they are the only person in the room it's usually ok. Of course if it is a very warm room for some reason that may chance.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:38 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:19 am
For what it's worth the main issue is that the FDW's want a private room, even if small that is adequate. Some Singaporeans make their FDW's share rooms with kids for example so even a small room with a fan is a win.
That is true for most maids, but ours is different... she is deathly afraid to sleep alone in a small private place, and prefers to simply take over our entire living room at night. She can’t sleep in air conditioning due to a skin problem and but she uses a fan unless it’s too cool for her (she gets cold easily). The most important thing is to be sensitive to their needs; most do not ask for much.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 3:16 pm

malcontent wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 2:38 pm
PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:19 am
That is true for most maids, but ours is different... she is deathly afraid to sleep alone in a small private place, and prefers to simply take over our entire living room at night. She can’t sleep in air conditioning due to a skin problem and but she uses a fan unless it’s too cool for her (she gets cold easily). The most important thing is to be sensitive to their needs; most do not ask for much.
Where is she from Mal? and yes, you're right...