Singapore Expats

Aircon or fan for maids ?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
tina1980
Regular
Regular

Aircon or fan for maids ?

Post by tina1980 » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 5:16 pm

My Maid sleeps in our guest room since the other room has been converted into an office for my Work from home hubby ..
Last time I checked my maid had both the aircon and the ceiling fan full blast ...
Admit its a bit hot in singapore but curious to know what other employers do -Aircon or fan ?
Last edited by tina1980 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 5:51 pm

We have always installed air/con in our maids rooms, and there is usually some kind of fan as well. No one in our house, and I do mean no one is allowed to blast air/con like you describe. I'd speak to her and tell her to knock it off pronto. You might tell her if the motor burns out, you'll charge her for it. How old is she? Just curious...

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Re: Aircon or fan for maids ?

Post by Strong Eagle » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 6:44 pm

tina1980 wrote:My Maid sleeps in our guest room since the other room has been converted into an office for my Work from home hubby ..
Last time I checked my maid had both the aircon and the ceiling fan full blast ...
Admit its a bit hot in singapore but curious to know what other employers do -Aircon or fan ?
The ceiling fan costs next to nothing to operate... about the same as a 60 watt bulb. The aircon is what is expensive... but whether it is run on high or low will only result in nominal differences in costs.

Since I sleep with and without aircon, as a rough guide, you can assume air con costs 6 to 8 dollars per night, per air con.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 11:10 pm

It is not normal practise for maids to use air cons in fact they know better not to, as their is more likelihood of coming down with a chill!

It would have to be stifling hot for a maid to take advantage of aircon, fans are normal and very cheap hardly worth thinking about unless you have them all turned on at once 24/7

Most Asians will not use aircons but may abuse an expats wallet. :wink: We may have it on for 1 hr on timer for sleeping, only when its stifling hot though. A quick word with her on the expense of aircon and when it should be used may solve the problem, though you are very rich in her eyes, so make sure she gets the message in a constructive manner.

tina1980
Regular
Regular

Post by tina1980 » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 9:47 am

You might tell her if the motor burns out, you'll charge her for it. How old is she? Just curious...

She is 32 . We have had her only for a few months now -apart from a few teething issues she is ok ... A wee bit forgetful -other than that no major hassles and she has settled in quite well !
Last edited by tina1980 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tina1980
Regular
Regular

Post by tina1980 » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 9:50 am

Since I sleep with and without aircon, as a rough guide, you can assume air con costs 6 to 8 dollars per night, per air con.

Thanks for this -I had no idea ..It does get a bit hotter than usual everynow and then and I'l probably set the aircon on a timer but I dont mind her using the fan when ever . Ive also promised her a box of chocolates if she helps bringing down the electricity bill by manning the stations Very Happy
Last edited by tina1980 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carteki
Editor
Editor

Post by carteki » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:08 am

ksl wrote:It is not normal practise for maids to use air cons in fact they know better not to, as their is more likelihood of coming down with a chill!

It would have to be stifling hot for a maid to take advantage of aircon, fans are normal and very cheap hardly worth thinking about unless you have them all turned on at once 24/7

Most Asians will not use aircons but may abuse an expats wallet. :wink: We may have it on for 1 hr on timer for sleeping, only when its stifling hot though. A quick word with her on the expense of aircon and when it should be used may solve the problem, though you are very rich in her eyes, so make sure she gets the message in a constructive manner.
Are you not generalising a little here?

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 10:44 am

carteki wrote: Are you not generalising a little here?
I am with KSL on this .. unless of course she is from Baguio or Mountain Province and can't put up with the heat here :D :D

Mary Hatch Bailey: tell her that you will charge for the motor (you mean the compressor I guess) ??? No, it will not even make a difference

Yah, I know .. I am generalising as well :D but ..

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:12 am

tina1980 wrote:My Maid sleeps in our guest room since the other room has been converted into an office for my Work from home hubby ..
So you have a maid and enjoy the benefits that it brings. Yet you begrudge her having some comfort when she gets her rest time and are worried about paying a few extra dollars on your utilities bill? She is a human being at the end of the day and is probably working her ass off for much less than the minimum wage back in your home Country. Cut her some slack!!

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 11:16 am

tina1980 wrote:A wee bit forgetful
Well, THERE's your problem!

Just tell here that you don't mind her using the facilities but just to be fair (to you), ask her to tone it down a notch.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

tina1980
Regular
Regular

Post by tina1980 » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 2:39 pm

BillyB wrote:
So you have a maid and enjoy the benefits that it brings. Yet you begrudge her having some comfort when she gets her rest time and are worried about paying a few extra dollars on your utilities bill? She is a human being at the end of the day and is probably working her ass off for much less than the minimum wage back in your home Country. Cut her some slack!!

Were you being funny here Very Happy I am not begruding her anything beyond teaching her responsibility. Would you turn on all devices in your house just to cut you some slack after a days work - I beleive not Very Happy And I also don't beleive you need both the fan and the Aircon running at the same time ! As a matter of fact my maid is not made to work her ass off nor treated badly !We treat her with kindness and respect and expect her to do her part as well - Fair isnt it ?
Last edited by tina1980 on Tue, 14 Jun 2011 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 19 Apr 2011 4:38 pm

tina1980 wrote:
BillyB wrote:So you have a maid and enjoy the benefits that it brings. Yet you begrudge her having some comfort when she gets her rest time and are worried about paying a few extra dollars on your utilities bill? She is a human being at the end of the day and is probably working her ass off for much less than the minimum wage back in your home Country. Cut her some slack!!
Were you being funny here :D I am not begruding her anything beyond teaching her responsibility. Would you turn on all devices in your house just to cut you some slack after a days work - I beleive not :D And I also don't beleive you need both the fan and the Aircon running at the same time ! As a matter of fact my maid is not made to work her ass off nor treated badly !We treat her with kindness and respect and expect her to do her part as well - Fair isnt it ?
I was being inquisitive. I have a different opinion thats all. But then I don't pay your utility bill. I wasn't for a minute suggesting you treat her bad or with disrespect. At least she has employment.
But If i'm hot I tend to blast the aircon as much as is required, if it stays on overnight then so be it - you can't put a price on being comfortable in your own home whether that costs $150 or 250 dollars a month.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 1:52 am

carteki wrote:
ksl wrote:It is not normal practise for maids to use air cons in fact they know better not to, as their is more likelihood of coming down with a chill!

No I don't think i am, though if you say so, that's okay too :lol:

Aircon is a privileged luxury for most, hence McDonald's and all other fast food chains, being crammed with school kids doing home work.

Though naturally expats with beefed up wages would probably not even entertain a big mac unless they are American or desperate for a calorie bomb, and it's mostly westerners that sweat like hell not Asians, so if we are talking about heat tolerance and health, no i'm not generalising it's fact.
The older generation are probably the worst, inclined to not turn on the aircon at all, and children are made aware of the dangers of cold, including drinking cold though kids rarely listen until its too late, I know Chinese parents are quite strict consuming anything ice cold too as they believe it's unhealthy too.

Aircon may easy give you sinus problems, stuffy nose and all kinds of cold symptoms, due to the lack of knowledge about cleaning them and servicing them in accordance with user instructions, but even then most do not use them until the average white man who is acclimatised would be well cooked.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 9:49 am

ksl wrote:
carteki wrote:

No I don't think i am, though if you say so, that's okay too :lol:

Aircon is a privileged luxury for most, hence McDonald's and all other fast food chains, being crammed with school kids doing home work.

I think, if you will ask a couple of them, you will find that it has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they have aircon at home. Kids like to study in groups. Kids are social animals. And kids like to get out from under their parents thumbs. Additionally, if you will but do a count of the multisplit aircon units in HDB flats I think you will find that the majority of them have at least one aircon in their flat. That kills your "Most Asians will not use aircons". Unless that was in error and you meant, Most domestic help will not use aircons". Most that I know, will or would if they are allowed or could afford it. Just like as more "Asian" Singaporeans do today than did 25 years ago. More affluence, better amenities.

Though naturally expats with beefed up wages would probably not even entertain a big mac unless they are American or desperate for a calorie bomb, and it's mostly westerners that sweat like hell not Asians, so if we are talking about heat tolerance and health, no i'm not generalising it's fact.

Try riding the MRT every day, if you think Asian don't Sweat! :o I think you are way off base. Or better yet, try taking a walk around Raffles Place during the lunch hours and check out the Asian office workers, then tell me they don't sweat, what with their shirts plastered to their backs. :o

The older generation are probably the worst, inclined to not turn on the aircon at all, and children are made aware of the dangers of cold, including drinking cold though kids rarely listen until its too late, I know Chinese parents are quite strict consuming anything ice cold too as they believe it's unhealthy too.

Are you saying that the preponderance of aircons in HDB flats are all owned by Indians & Malays? even though together they only comprise 23% of the quota in those flats with 65 to 70% of units showing aircons? :-k

Aircon may easy give you sinus problems, stuffy nose and all kinds of cold symptoms, due to the lack of knowledge about cleaning them and servicing them in accordance with user instructions, but even then most do not use them until the average white man who is acclimatised would be well cooked.
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Fri, 22 Apr 2011 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Fri, 22 Apr 2011 11:45 am

ksl wrote:
An article on the Cons of Air-Con.
It is not only the cost of running an AC, but it might affect your health as well.

http://www.greensingapore.com/Singlenew ... %20air-con