Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Re: Aircon or fan for maids ?

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 1:27 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:28 pm
I’ve known many local colleagues over the years who do not have or use an air conditioner at home, and they can well afford it. Lots of people here are just acclimated to the weather. For the maids who do get air conditioning, they may have a hard time adjusting when time comes to return home, (unless they are from Baguio or other highland areas, as another poster mentioned).
We only used our aircon at night in the bedrooms, occasionally in the home office when the temps exceeded 85F, and usually while watching movies. Open otherwise to the wilds.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 7:40 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:28 pm
I’ve known many local colleagues over the years who do not have or use an air conditioner at home, and they can well afford it. Lots of people here are just acclimated to the weather.
We have never used AC on regular bases and we are both European. Fans are normally sufficient. Exceptions: lots of food and/or alcoholic stuff. This generates lot of heat in the body.

On the acclimatization... 27C already feels very cold (with a fan) what is funny when I realize this is actually pretty hot European summer.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 8:11 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Wed, 17 Mar 2021 1:25 am
x9200 wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 2:31 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:45 pm
Are we talking about proper portable Aircons or Air coolers? Portable aircons still need a hot air vent as well as a plug. Air coolers put moisture INTO the air via water evaporation (humidifying the air), as opposed to removing moisture from the air.
A proper one. Pretty doable.
In addition to the condensation drainage problem mentioned by SMS, these types of aircon units are the least electrically efficient... it will cost you a bomb to run it all the time.
Why it has to run all the time? Anyway, rebuilding the helper's room to have a standard AC installed won't be cheap neither if possible at all (where to place the compressor? The ledge has often no space already). Not to mention low likelihood any LL agrees. The only alternative is a window unit that would cover the window and may also not be that straight forward to install.

The problem with condensation water will be there regardless the type of AC. One has to carry it to a drain pipe or empty a container from time to time (AC shouldn't stop working if full?).
Fine if we are talking about a landed house but not necessarily any other scenario.

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:25 pm

I know of some package expats who have utilities covered and they run all their aircons 24x7 even when not at home... I’m told their utility bill can run up to $3,000/mo!
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 11:40 pm

This especially so if they happen to own a lot of 'real' leather goods, for mold abatement.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Thu, 18 Mar 2021 5:33 am

I had to take a look at power costs. According to this website (https://blog.seedly.sg/electricity-reta ... singapore/), power costs in Singapore for 1st quarter, 2021 are going to be 20.76 cents per kilowatt hour. In USD, this is 15.49 cents.

By way of comparison, in Texas, the state with the really crappy power grid, I pay around 11.5 cents per kilowatt hour.

Those in New York pay around 19.3 cents per kWh, more than Singapore. Wisconsin pays 14.28 cents, Wyoming 12.3 cents.

So, no question that Singapore electricity costs more in general than USA electricity but not outrageously so. Europe costs quite a bit more.

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 2:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:45 pm
Are we talking about proper portable Aircons or Air coolers? Portable aircons still need a hot air vent as well as a plug. Air coolers put moisture INTO the air via water evaporation (humidifying the air), as opposed to removing moisture from the air.
I meant an air cooler, they are not as great as air cons, but they do work and they are cheap and easy to use!

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Fri, 19 Mar 2021 2:53 pm

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:15 pm
The title of this thread, "Aircon or fan for maids?" reminded me of a story shortly after I moved to Singapore. We had just moved into our semi-D, and the maids room did not have an air conditioner. So we had a guy come out and install one.

Thing is, when he learned that he was installing the aircon for the maid, he said, "What you do that for? She's the maid."

When we said we wanted our maid to live as we do, he was shocked. Again he said, "What for? She's the maid."

And therein lies the rub, and why questions like, "Aircon or fan for maids," chap my ass. Maids are not second class human beings. How do you live in your house? Use aircon? Then provide it for the maid as well. Don't use aircon? Then the maid can live the same way you do.

Just don't treat her differently because she is the maid.
Agree completely. Maids should enjoy the same standard of living as any other member of the family. Whether or not they are the “help” should have no bearing on how they are treated.