Singapore Expats

Aircon or fan for maids ?

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
kat.l

Re: Aircon or fan for maids ?

Post by kat.l » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:00 pm

Thanks again to all that replied. Its very helpful.

Our helper here (she's from Philippines and she's moving with us) actually likes the ac. She has her ac on all day and sometimes i find it very cold but she likes it so im happy to provide one when we move if there's no ac.

A portable one sounds great and i will perhaps mention it to our future landlord before we commit to any accommodation and see what our options are!

Thank you all for your responses and input :)

malcontent
Manager
Manager
Answers: 8

Post by malcontent » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:32 pm

PNGMK wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 3:16 pm
Where is she from Mal? and yes, you're right...
She is from Ponorogo, Java Timur... although it’s a generalization, those from the Eastern half of Java tend to have better attitudes and are more caring, etc... again, not a rule - you can find good apples from all parts of Indo.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

Lisafuller
Governor
Governor
Answers: 3

Post by Lisafuller » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:39 pm

kat.l wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:00 pm
Thanks again to all that replied. Its very helpful.

Our helper here (she's from Philippines and she's moving with us) actually likes the ac. She has her ac on all day and sometimes i find it very cold but she likes it so im happy to provide one when we move if there's no ac.

A portable one sounds great and i will perhaps mention it to our future landlord before we commit to any accommodation and see what our options are!

Thank you all for your responses and input :)
Portable ACs are really great option. They are relatively inexpensive, work pretty well, and only require a outlet to work. Best of all, there’s no installation required so when you do eventually move you can take it with you.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:45 pm

Are we talking about proper portable Aircons or Air coolers? Portable aircons still need a hot air vent as well as a plug. Air coolers put moisture INTO the air via water evaporation (humidifying the air), as opposed to removing moisture from the air.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 23

Post by Myasis Dragon » Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:15 pm

The title of this thread, "Aircon or fan for maids?" reminded me of a story shortly after I moved to Singapore. We had just moved into our semi-D, and the maids room did not have an air conditioner. So we had a guy come out and install one.

Thing is, when he learned that he was installing the aircon for the maid, he said, "What you do that for? She's the maid."

When we said we wanted our maid to live as we do, he was shocked. Again he said, "What for? She's the maid."

And therein lies the rub, and why questions like, "Aircon or fan for maids," chap my ass. Maids are not second class human beings. How do you live in your house? Use aircon? Then provide it for the maid as well. Don't use aircon? Then the maid can live the same way you do.

Just don't treat her differently because she is the maid.

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 1:05 am

Myasis Dragon wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 11:15 pm
The title of this thread, "Aircon or fan for maids?" reminded me of a story shortly after I moved to Singapore. We had just moved into our semi-D, and the maids room did not have an air conditioner. So we had a guy come out and install one.

Thing is, when he learned that he was installing the aircon for the maid, he said, "What you do that for? She's the maid."

When we said we wanted our maid to live as we do, he was shocked. Again he said, "What for? She's the maid."

And therein lies the rub, and why questions like, "Aircon or fan for maids," chap my ass. Maids are not second class human beings. How do you live in your house? Use aircon? Then provide it for the maid as well. Don't use aircon? Then the maid can live the same way you do.

Just don't treat her differently because she is the maid.
Thats awful! Especially since they sacrifice so much and work so hard... I agree with you fully.. If i expect an AC in my room or at least have the choice.. why shouldn't they?

Anyways, thank you to everyone for your inputs.. We will definitely read on portable ACs (if they cause more humidity, there is no point) and will explore our options with regards to installing an AC in a rental too...

Thank you!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 2:31 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:45 pm
Are we talking about proper portable Aircons or Air coolers? Portable aircons still need a hot air vent as well as a plug. Air coolers put moisture INTO the air via water evaporation (humidifying the air), as opposed to removing moisture from the air.
A proper one. Pretty doable.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 6:45 pm

How often does the drain bucket have to be emptied? Obviously not cool if you forget to turn it off before going to work or away for an extended number of hours if the possibility of the bucket overflowing. I reckon it needs at least 8 to 10 hours before it needs to be emptied.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 8:05 pm

kat.l wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 1:05 am
Thats awful! Especially since they sacrifice so much and work so hard... I agree with you fully.. If i expect an AC in my room or at least have the choice.. why shouldn't they?
I’m not sure it’s awful. I had no air conditioning during my first two years in Singapore, it wasn’t awful but it wasn’t great either. I’ll bet most maids would rather you just give them more money instead of air conditioning.
Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it - Niels Bohr

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 9:56 pm

Well, my maid knew up front that I have NO air conditioning in my house. Ceiling fans only and good flow through ventilation. Add to that, she has a shared bedroom and is very happy, been with me over 3 years now.

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 10:28 pm

I’ve known many local colleagues over the years who do not have or use an air conditioner at home, and they can well afford it. Lots of people here are just acclimated to the weather. For the maids who do get air conditioning, they may have a hard time adjusting when time comes to return home, (unless they are from Baguio or other highland areas, as another poster mentioned).

kat.l

Post by kat.l » Tue, 16 Mar 2021 11:58 pm

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 8:05 pm
kat.l wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 1:05 am
I’m not sure it’s awful. I had no air conditioning during my first two years in Singapore, it wasn’t awful but it wasn’t great either. I’ll bet most maids would rather you just give them more money instead of air conditioning.
I meant the comment "she's just the maid' is awful. Not the "how can your helper sleep without AC" bit... I just think "just the maid" is very condescending and it wasn't his place to decide what you want to do with your home or staff.

I agree if someone is used to something or very happy without something then it really isn't a "bad thing" but like I mentioned above our helper is personally used to it (she has been with us for many years) and likes it so I am more than happy to provide her with that extra comfort/luxury ...

Again, thank you for your inputs, very insightful and for the portable AC suggestion.. looks like a viable option for us now! :)

malcontent
Manager
Manager

Post by malcontent » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 1:10 am

Gotcha. I misread it.

I agree, people here tend to look down their noses at maids, cleaners and construction workers. When they travel to other countries they are often shocked that cleaners are respected and have the confidence to tell them off for not cleaning up after themselves at the food court. In Japan they will not hesitate to school you in the proper recycling bin to use, whether you speak Japanese or not.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 1:23 am

malcontent wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 8:05 pm
I’ll bet most maids would rather you just give them more money instead of air conditioning.
I'll bet most maids would rather you just give them more money AND air conditioning.

Myasis Dragon
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Myasis Dragon » Wed, 17 Mar 2021 1:25 am

x9200 wrote:
Tue, 16 Mar 2021 2:31 am
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Mon, 15 Mar 2021 8:45 pm
A proper one. Pretty doable.
In addition to the condensation drainage problem mentioned by SMS, these types of aircon units are the least electrically efficient... it will cost you a bomb to run it all the time.