Singapore Expats Forum

Questions on the EPEC

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Questions on the EPEC

Postby putnam » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:47 pm

I came to Singapore 22 days ago and applied for an EPEC afterwards. The university I graduated from is in the MOM's list, so I think I will be able to get an EPEC, but the application status is still pending. My plan was to get a long-term pass valid for one year, however, now I need another pass to stay in Singapore. Obviously, I can't even apply for a long-term pass without an secured EPEC. There are two options for me.

1. Extensition of my current visit pass
I think I will be able to extend my current visit pass for another month, but
the ICA website says

"If you confirm that you fulfill all the above conditions and agree that you will not be seeking any (further) extension after this application, irrespective of the outcome."

I'm afraid I will not be able to apply for a long-term pass if I get an extension of my current visit pass.

2. Flying to Malaysia and getting back to Singapore
I think I will be able to apply for a long-term pass afterwards. Is that right?

Suppose I will get an EPEC approved until the expiry of my current visit pass.
What is the best option?

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 10:52 pm

I forgot to mention something.

Option 2 is like flying to Malaysia, getting a visit pass for another month and getting back to Singapore. I'm not a national of Malaysia.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Questions on the EPEC

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 12:38 am

putnam wrote:1. Extensition of my current visit pass
I think I will be able to extend my current visit pass for another month, but
the ICA website says

"If you confirm that you fulfill all the above conditions and agree that you will not be seeking any (further) extension after this application, irrespective of the outcome."

I'm afraid I will not be able to apply for a long-term pass if I get an extension of my current visit pass.


What makes you think so ?? Your visa extension - social visa, is restricted to only one extension, and doesn't clash with a LTVP - which is obtained, once you have with EPEC. You can extend, and if you get the EPEC, then go and get the LTVP. What is confusing here ??

2. Flying to Malaysia and getting back to Singapore
I think I will be able to apply for a long-term pass afterwards. Is that right?

Suppose I will get an EPEC approved until the expiry of my current visit pass.
What is the best option?


Errr ... how do you intend to go to Malaysia, and come back, and expect a one year visa ?? If you are still fixated on the EPEC thing - then, that has no relevance to your LTVP

Well, when in doubt, don't assume :) And don't mix up LTVP and SVP.

And, if you have exceeded the stay, flying to Malaysia and coming back moves no mountains with ICA, despite some people assuming and advicing it as different from taking the bus to Malaysia.

On the other hand, if you stayed in Malaysia for a month and came back, then it matters to ICA

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: Questions on the EPEC

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 9:55 am

I think you should pay MOM a visit since your university is on the approved list and your epec is still pending after 20 plus days..
EPEC is usually approved or rejected within 7 days..

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Questions on the EPEC

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:03 am

carlsum1986 wrote:I think you should pay MOM a visit since your university is on the approved list and your epec is still pending after 20 plus days..
EPEC is usually approved or rejected within 7 days..


Depends where the address is ..

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 4:58 pm

I have a master's degree. When I uploaded a certificate of a bachelor degree 8 days ago, I uploaded an unofficial transcript from a master's program as well because I did not have a certificate of a master's program at hand. Two days ago I sent them an email saying I wanted to upload a certificate of a master's program, and yesterday I asked them if they received my email. But up to now I have got no response. Now I have a certificate of a master's degree at hand.

Should I visit the ICA and talk with them asap or wait for a couple of days?

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:18 pm

putnam wrote:Should I visit the ICA and talk with them asap or wait for a couple of days?


You could pay a visit to ICA but they will look at you blankly and send you to the MOM :wink:

carlsum1986
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun, 06 Jun 2010
Location: Bangkok

Re: Questions on the EPEC

Postby carlsum1986 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:26 pm

ecureilx wrote:
carlsum1986 wrote:I think you should pay MOM a visit since your university is on the approved list and your epec is still pending after 20 plus days..
EPEC is usually approved or rejected within 7 days..


Depends where the address is ..


the address takes 3 weeks to send to if it is outside of singapore....I was referring to him knowing if he got approved or rejected...that takes 7 days max if I am not wrong...

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:49 pm

Saint wrote:
putnam wrote:Should I visit the ICA and talk with them asap or wait for a couple of days?


You could pay a visit to ICA but they will look at you blankly and send you to the MOM :wink:


You are wrong Chief: ICA will smile and tell you to use the excellent online services, which has cost a lot of mega bucks to make .. !!! :D

slayerk2000
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2011

Postby slayerk2000 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:02 pm

My experience has been the following timeline:

Applied for EPEC on 18th Feb, chased up on it on Mar 9th, got an email on Mar 11th saying they needed the scan of the original degree (in Latin) and not the officailly stamped transcript (in English) and got the approval email on March 18th and got it a week later in the post.

Perhaps you should mail them (as ecureilx said) via their online enquiry form and give them a nudge. Maybe you haven't got it yet cos your photo was the wrong size or something..

Good luck!

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:52 pm

@slayerk2000

Thanks for your advice. I sent an email at mom_wpd_epec@mom.gov.sg

Where is their online enquiry form located? I can't find it.

slayerk2000
Member
Member
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon, 11 Apr 2011

Postby slayerk2000 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 9:16 pm

Try https://secure.mom.gov.sg/feedback/Pages/default.aspx

Otherwise, go to the Ministry of Manpower website, then click 'contact us', then click 'contact information', then click 'by email', then click the link for 'online feedback service'.. There you should find what u want.

putnam
Member
Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed, 13 Apr 2011

Postby putnam » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:10 pm

Thanks. :) :) :)

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 8:47 am

ecureilx wrote:You are wrong Chief: ICA will smile and tell you to use the excellent online services, which has cost a lot of mega bucks to make .. !!! :D


Yoy are also wrong, anyone working for ICA are not allowed to smile

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 10:30 am

Saint wrote:Yoy are also wrong, anyone working for ICA are not allowed to smile


So what happened to the 'service with a smile' campaign ?? :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests