Singapore Expats Forum

Regarding Re Entry Permit (need advise)

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
worriedguy

Regarding Re Entry Permit (need advise)

Postby worriedguy » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 2:12 pm

Hi, my REP expired 2 years ago, will ICA revoke my PR status since my REP is expired?

I paid my taxes and medisave these years but did not contribute CPF because I work freelancing, enough to feed myself, what are the chances of ICA approve my REP permit?

Deeply appreciated.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 13 Apr 2011 2:46 pm

Not a problem if you are in Singapore. However, if you are out of Singapore, you are probably up the creek without a paddle. You might be given only one year REP though and depending on your tax return the following year, might determine whether or not you are still welcome here.

worriedguy

Postby worriedguy » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks sundaymorningstaple, have been working in SG all this while, i hope my REP gets approved, thank you.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:58 pm

worriedguy wrote:Thanks sundaymorningstaple, have been working in SG all this while, i hope my REP gets approved, thank you.

Just to ask you, did you not know for this long that your REP has expired?

Also were u working in SG for the past 5 + 2 years? If yes, you have a high chance of getting it approved.

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:13 pm

I think you have made a mistake. As a self employed person you are required to make CPF Medisave contributions. You are also required to have a business (at least a sole proprietorship) on file with ACRA. There are only a very few exceptions.

worriedguy

Postby worriedguy » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 9:05 pm

Yah, i do have my own company registered under Acra and worked in SG for more than 10 years, I contribute medisave also. Im just not sure if CPF is necessary because when I got the form application for the REP, it says I need to file my 3 years tax and medisave contributions, CFP contributions was not mentioned inside.

And yes, i do know that it expired 2 years ago, didnt plan any overseas for 2 years, so i thought its not necessary to renew it, please tell me my last assumption is correct? if not I'm in deep trouble -_-"

Strong Eagle

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:01 pm

Pretty amazing that you haven't left the island for two years, seems like I am out every week.

I am not a lawyer, and as far as I can see, you are only required to contribute to Medisave, not any other CPF component. So, you should be cool.

My guess... and it is only a guess... is that with steady SG employment and taxes paid, along with Medisave, you will be fine.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 10:52 pm

SE, I went 2 years in '04-05 without an REP. In fact, I was also out of work for a large portion of it. It was during this time that K.E.N. was created. CPF does not need to be paid, but medisave has to be. Also, your taxes need to filed & paid. In fact, you pay your medisave on the Tax Return if you have a SP.