Singapore Expats Forum

NSmen Expired Exit Permit ( 15 months overdue)

A moderated forum for serious discussions only.
Sarman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2013

Postby Sarman » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 8:26 am

sjb8aus wrote:I have a very similar situation except that my application to renounce SG citizenship was rejected. Just wonder if anyone has an update on this ? Does anyone know of or had experience engaging a lawyer to resolve such issues on your behalf ?
regards,

Did they give a reason for rejection? Do you have citizenship in another country?

Most lawyers will tell you it is a losing case. Mindef will not move forward with your case unless you appear in person (with or without a lawyer).

sjb8aus
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat, 30 Mar 2013
Location: ME

Postby sjb8aus » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 1:55 pm

No specific reason was given. The letter just said the Registrar of Citizens is withholding my renunciation application. yes I have citizenship of another country.

Sarman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed, 27 Feb 2013

Postby Sarman » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 7:03 am

Hiring a lawyer (SGD 600+ per hour) may help protect your rights and appeal your sentences in the military court or civilian court, but regardless, CMPB and SAF will not investigate or consider your case until you have appeared in person and presumably in their custody.

User avatar
taxico
Director
Director
Posts: 3190
Joined: Sat, 10 May 2008
Location: Existential dilemma!

Postby taxico » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 3:24 pm

a suspect in custody in singapore has very few rights.

justanoob
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue, 19 Nov 2013

Postby justanoob » Tue, 19 Nov 2013 4:38 pm

roachbro wrote:Hey all, just wanted to update on what happened. I spoke to Susan at CMPB and she could not help me because my case was too serious. My case was then handed to Sunny and later on directed to an officer in charge of defaulters (This freaked me out a bit back then)

I sent in my letter of explanation along with proof of my overseas employment. I had to call once in a while to check on my status, making sure that they had received my information. On some occasions, I managed to talk to the officer in charge and he was courteous and straight forward about the situation.

Eventually, I was charged a compound fine and now I'll be allowed to apply for a new exit permit in a week's time. I clearly stated in my letter that I did not receive any notification, I was also apologetic and reassured them that this will not happen again.

This whole ordeal spanned 5 months and most of it, I had no idea what the outcome would be. They mentioned that these things would take some time so for most part, I tried to just get on with my life. I mean if sh*t happens, you'll just have to deal with it so I'm just thankful I got away with a fine.

Hope this helps.



Hi , glad that you came out alright.

May i know during this 5 months, where were you physically? In Singapore or overseas ?

James1982
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu, 05 Dec 2013

Postby James1982 » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 1:54 am

The requirement to apply for an exit permit has to be one of the most insulting requirement ever towards those who have sacrificed their youth and competitiveness with FTs and non-serving women in getting a job.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 1:58 am

Listen to the crybaby. You didn't have to compete. You couldn't compete. It's that simple. Grow a set.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 8:13 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Listen to the crybaby. You didn't have to compete. You couldn't compete. It's that simple. Grow a set.


Actually I see his point, particularly WRT women (and yours about him being a non compete also). However NS is of course a form of bonded servitude so why should we not be surprised?

Solve the problem and make it bonded servitude for both sexes. Singapore would benefit greatly with females in a variety of jobs, and the male whiners would have to shut up.



Well someone spoofed my post above (the part in italics). I guess we have a mischievous mod.
Last edited by PNGMK on Thu, 05 Dec 2013 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 9:04 am

All, come on, MK, the woman thing is so tiring. The women face a glass ceiling from the day they are born. The women, with a few exceptions, almost always will not be making more than the men will when the women hit their 5 year mark while the guys will be 3 years in and making more. Wasn't fair 50 years ago and it isn't fair today, but it's the way it is and has been. I don't see the guys complaining when the girls have to give up their careers in order to have a family. On noooo. Heaven forbid.

We didn't complain in the 35 years from WWII in the US when the draft was active to the Korean War, the cold war and Vietnam. We just did it. The women there also faced glass ceilings and still do today. Singapore is a Patriarchal Society and the women are always forced to take a back seat. If the women had to do military service like the Israeli women do, the men here would be whinging about the women getting ahead of them in the Military as well. The guys just need to grow a set, nothing more. The generation between Vietnam and the Gulf war has bred a bunch of pacifist wimps who want the goodies from the government but don't want the responsibility of protecting their government. It's great to be a pacifist, but it doesn't work.

User avatar
PNGMK
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5764
Joined: Thu, 21 Mar 2013
Location: Sinkapore

Postby PNGMK » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 9:29 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:All, come on, MK, the woman thing is so tiring. The women face a glass ceiling from the day they are born. The women, with a few exceptions, almost always will not be making more than the men will when the women hit their 5 year mark while the guys will be 3 years in and making more. Wasn't fair 50 years ago and it isn't fair today, but it's the way it is and has been. I don't see the guys complaining when the girls have to give up their careers in order to have a family. On noooo. Heaven forbid.

We didn't complain in the 35 years from WWII in the US when the draft was active to the Korean War, the cold war and Vietnam. We just did it. The women there also faced glass ceilings and still do today. Singapore is a Patriarchal Society and the women are always forced to take a back seat. If the women had to do military service like the Israeli women do, the men here would be whinging about the women getting ahead of them in the Military as well. The guys just need to grow a set, nothing more. The generation between Vietnam and the Gulf war has bred a bunch of pacifist wimps who want the goodies from the government but don't want the responsibility of protecting their government. It's great to be a pacifist, but it doesn't work.


I don't agree Singapore is a patriarchal society at all. Actually I'm not sure what it is because it's not exactly a homogenous society. As for the guys being born whingers you're correct, but I don't like to see men's rights lose out to women's feminism.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:49 am

PNGMK wrote:Well someone spoofed my post above (the part in italics). I guess we have a mischievous mod.


Good job the appended comment wasn't a death-threat against anyone, like a politician or you'd have the cops around at your place in three minutes.

Perhaps a Mod will be along shortly to reassure us, and explain how that happened.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 10:57 am

Probably a mod who forgets his glasses and typed in someone else's posts instead of 'new post' accidentally?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35168
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 05 Dec 2013 12:40 pm

'twernt me. At least this time! :-|

And if I forgot my glasses, I'd be up the creek without a paddle as I'd not be able to see anything on the screen at all unless in 24 point type!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Strictly Speaking”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: NorthIndian and 0 guests