Singapore Expats

NSmen Expired Exit Permit ( 15 months overdue)

Do you have a question about National Service (NS) in Singapore? Discuss it here.
roccoS

Post by roccoS » Sat, 08 Oct 2011 4:50 am

hi all

thanks for giving an update roachbro. i've found myself in a similar situation as you.

ive been living overseas since 10 years and have extended my exit permit promptly until it expired last year. Last week i realized i needed to extend it and couldnt. Mailed the CMPB who has referred my case to the ns defaulter's branch. I also didnt get any notification letter / email, which was a pity, because i would have definitely done something earlier, had i been reminded. i dont have an NS unit as i moved overseas after ord. Will wait and see what happens. Hope there is no jail sentence! :)

Koalabear
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Koalabear » Thu, 20 Oct 2011 12:38 pm

roachbro wrote:Hey all, just wanted to update on what happened. I spoke to Susan at CMPB and she could not help me because my case was too serious. My case was then handed to Sunny and later on directed to an officer in charge of defaulters (This freaked me out a bit back then)

I sent in my letter of explanation along with proof of my overseas employment. I had to call once in a while to check on my status, making sure that they had received my information. On some occasions, I managed to talk to the officer in charge and he was courteous and straight forward about the situation.

Eventually, I was charged a compound fine and now I'll be allowed to apply for a new exit permit in a week's time. I clearly stated in my letter that I did not receive any notification, I was also apologetic and reassured them that this will not happen again.

This whole ordeal spanned 5 months and most of it, I had no idea what the outcome would be. They mentioned that these things would take some time so for most part, I tried to just get on with my life. I mean if sh*t happens, you'll just have to deal with it so I'm just thankful I got away with a fine.

Hope this helps.
How much is the fine?

roccoS

Post by roccoS » Sun, 22 Jan 2012 2:09 am

i ended up paying 150$. my first and last offence!

siewch

Post by siewch » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 6:22 am

Koss - I got your PM on this topic but I cannot reply because I have not made enough posts. Please PM me again with your email address. Thanks

round tiger

Post by round tiger » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 9:23 am

Hey guys,

Thanks very much for providing a lot of helpful information on this topic, and thanks roachbro for starting this thread!

I have found myself in a similar situation - just realized recently that my EP expired last year and that I had forgotten to renew. I have also been quite diligent about this in the past few years, but I agree there's no excuse for my negligence.

Just wanted to find out from roachbro and roccoS if you guys had to go back to Singapore to settle the charges and pay the fines, or if you were able to resolve the matter from overseas. Thanks very much! Appreciate your sharing your experience.

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:03 am

round tiger wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks very much for providing a lot of helpful information on this topic, and thanks roachbro for starting this thread!

I have found myself in a similar situation - just realized recently that my EP expired last year and that I had forgotten to renew. I have also been quite diligent about this in the past few years, but I agree there's no excuse for my negligence.

Just wanted to find out from roachbro and roccoS if you guys had to go back to Singapore to settle the charges and pay the fines, or if you were able to resolve the matter from overseas. Thanks very much! Appreciate your sharing your experience.
You need to step back and understand the situation. Your EP was granted on the pretext that you are going for overseas assignment/employment/ residence etc... only then you can leave. Or you are already overseas and has used up the three month grace period and applied your EP via online and EP was granted by then. If your EP has expired and you failed to renew be it in SG or overseas, you need to go back to Singapore and settle the offense per se with CMPB. There is no way you can do it overseas and there is no way you will be granted a new EP if your offense that you have committed has been dealt with.
If you think for one second you can settle the fine from overseas then you are either foolish enough to believe this will work or you are basically dreaming. If you failed to resolve this issue it will turn to custard and you are basically digging a bigger hole for yourself to be buried in it
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

round tiger

Post by round tiger » Mon, 02 Apr 2012 9:01 am

Thanks for your quick response MS. I totally agree that the correct way of resolving this matter would be to settle the offense in person back in Singapore. I've found myself in a very similar situation as roachbro and roccos (forgetting to renew my EP while overseas), and so I was just hoping to find out a little more about how they eventually resolved their situation. Perhaps I should have phrased my question in another manner.

I have no excuse for my negligence and am just hoping to seek advice on how best to resolve this matter. In fact I've already found a good amount of helpful information from this thread and was just hoping to get some more details if possible. Thanks!

hitmebabyonemoretime

Re: NSmen Expired Exit Permit ( 15 months overdue)

Post by hitmebabyonemoretime » Wed, 05 Sep 2012 12:23 am

Mad Scientist wrote:
hitmebabyonemoretime wrote: Thanks in advance.
Hi there! I'm in an almost identical situation, except mine has been expired for 7 months. I accepted a new position and expect to go back to Singapore at the end of July, permanently.

i was wondering, what was the outcome of your situation?

I understand I'm a noob, will attend to the necessary in a few :)

best,
HMBOMT
Do not worry , the whole shebang will come sooner than you expected. be prepared for a crash course on ICTs within a short period[/quote]

Update: called up, wrote in, followed up etc etc. Final outcome - fine 200, pay online, no personal appointments requested, able to apply for EP again. phew! no ICT yet, cos have to pass the FFI first :P

wrcboi

Post by wrcboi » Tue, 02 Oct 2012 8:56 pm

had a simliar situation tooo..due to my negligence...i have forgotten to renew the EP....case is being reviewed and now wondering if i am able to return to SG for a short visit during this period of case reviewing?

Sarman

Post by Sarman » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 3:23 am

I served 2 years 3 months of NS before I disrupted for uni. I have an expired EP from over 20 years ago, and have not returned to Singapore since. Surprisingly, my renunciation of Singapore citizenship was approved. However, the EP issue and SAF issue are still outstanding (despite being declared no longer a Singapore citizen). My age makes me ineligible for any NS or reservist service. Has anyone else been through this situation or have any constructive advice?

Hindsight is 20/20, so what options are available, if any?

Edit: to visit extended family and friends.
Last edited by Sarman on Wed, 27 Feb 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 4:56 am

Hi Sarman,

You don't say what your intentions or wishes are...

Sarman

Post by Sarman » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 5:22 am

Hi JR8,

To visit extended family and friends.

tnt33a

Post by tnt33a » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 2:12 pm

[quote="Sarman"]I served 2 years 3 months of NS before I disrupted for uni. I have an expired EP from over 20 years ago, and have not returned to Singapore since. Surprisingly, my renunciation of Singapore citizenship was approved. However, the EP issue and SAF issue are still outstanding (despite being declared no longer a Singapore citizen). My age makes me ineligible for any NS or reservist service. Has anyone else been through this situation or have any constructive advice?

Hindsight is 20/20, so what options are available, if any?

Edit: to visit extended family and friends.[/quote]

Sarman, I seem to be in a similar situation to you, except I never disrupted, served my full NS, and did not have an EP. Just wondering if you had any updates to your situation since Feb?

Sarman

Post by Sarman » Thu, 14 Mar 2013 5:40 pm

tnt33a wrote:Sarman, I seem to be in a similar situation to you, except I never disrupted, served my full NS, and did not have an EP. Just wondering if you had any updates to your situation since Feb?
TNT33a, I have no update. Your situation should be easier to resolve, provided your CMPB issue (EP) has not escalated to an SAF issue. Over the years, I have a list of contacts from CMPB and SAF researching my case. PM me if you like.

sjb8aus

Post by sjb8aus » Sat, 30 Mar 2013 7:21 am

I have a very similar situation except that my application to renounce SG citizenship was rejected. Just wonder if anyone has an update on this ? Does anyone know of or had experience engaging a lawyer to resolve such issues on your behalf ?
regards,