Singapore Expats Forum

'Tax Resident'

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 8:15 pm

JR8 wrote:Yeah SE is talking about B2L, you don't get taxed for renting a place.


excellent. I still can't believe the tax rate, i'm sure it's some mistake and i'm going to get humped with 'hidden foreigner tax' or something when i arrive! :D

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 8:50 pm

Yeboah wrote:
JR8 wrote:Yeah SE is talking about B2L, you don't get taxed for renting a place.


excellent. I still can't believe the tax rate, i'm sure it's some mistake and i'm going to get humped with 'hidden foreigner tax' or something when i arrive! :D


Your disbelief is quite apparent, and it is amusing to witness, for those of us who have been down the same path path to enlightenment of the benefits of the small-state.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10835
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 9:53 pm

JR8 wrote:Yeah SE is talking about B2L, you don't get taxed for renting a place.


Quite true, JR8, just noting that the LL has a tax consequence to factor into the monthly rent.

Then again, after I took a look at what my property taxes would be in Houston based on 'annual value', they would be cheaper than what I am now paying... by quite a lot.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 11:36 pm

The landlord's taxes are ultimately going to be reflected in the rent so I agree and please don't get me wrong SE, my point was that the property taxes are not an additional increment that the tenant will face.

p.s. Always amused me in the States how you can depreciate rental property in your tax return, over 40 years IIRC. Especially given none of mine are under 150 years old! :wink: :)

Andy b
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat, 16 Apr 2011

Postby Andy b » Sat, 16 Apr 2011 2:43 am

Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 2:44 pm

Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


family up that way but living in London now. you?

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 3:40 pm

Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 4:08 pm

BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 4:15 pm

Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 4:34 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


140 percent tax on buying a new automobile. Another $40,000 to put it on the road for ten years, then pay another $1700 per year to register it.

High property taxes on rental property, 10 percent per year of 'annual value' which is rent collected x 12. So, rent a place at $5000 per month and pay $6000 in taxes. If owner occupied it is 4 percent.

7 percent GST. Overall higher costs on everything, driven by high property prices, small business that must replenish inventory often.

But yes, comparatively speaking taxes are low in SG but cost of living higher.


In addition to that, pregnancies are not covered under medical insurance. Locals here shudder at the thought of giving birth to babies. In the UK, having 4 kids is very common. So inspite of the high taxes in the UK compared to SG, there must be something about the lifestyle here that deters the locals from producing babies. There was even a television show that showed that there were more dog licenses given out in SG last year than the number of babies produced. :lol:. That tells you something is not right here.

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 4:44 pm

BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!


the enemy of my enemy is my friend 8-)

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 4:56 pm

Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!


the enemy of my enemy is my friend 8-)


Doesn't really narrow your preference down though does it - could be one of about 15 teams!!

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 5:00 pm

BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!


the enemy of my enemy is my friend 8-)


Doesn't really narrow your preference down though does it - could be one of about 15 teams!!


suits me, I'm a sociable guy; more the merrier! :)

User avatar
BillyB
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1807
Joined: Fri, 23 Jul 2010
Location: My laptop

Postby BillyB » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 5:04 pm

Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!


the enemy of my enemy is my friend 8-)


Doesn't really narrow your preference down though does it - could be one of about 15 teams!!


suits me, I'm a sociable guy; more the merrier! :)[/quote

Gotta be Leeds.....or maybe Chelsea.....

User avatar
Yeboah
Member
Member
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue, 12 Apr 2011

Postby Yeboah » Mon, 18 Apr 2011 5:10 pm

BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
BillyB wrote:
Andy b wrote:
Yeboah wrote:
manutdfan wrote:
Yeboah wrote:Thank you very much for the prompt replies. I still can't believe the tax rate is what it is. :shock: Keep telling myself there must be some catch! 8-)


There is.

You will need to buy your own health insurance. Other than that.....


work covers it! result! :-)


Hi Yeboah,

With a user name like that I am guessing your from Leeds?


Andy b - are you from the bad side of the Penines?!


The God-forsaken hinterland that is the Red side I presume you mean?
At least God has the good grace to, having realised his mistake in creating Manchester, routinely rain on it for what seems like 365 days a year! ;-)


I partly agree. He can cast all the atrocities he can muster on Old Trafford just as long as he keep's Anfield nice and dry!!


the enemy of my enemy is my friend 8-)


Doesn't really narrow your preference down though does it - could be one of about 15 teams!!


suits me, I'm a sociable guy; more the merrier! :)[/quote

Gotta be Leeds.....or maybe Chelsea.....


Assuming you already know from my username, i'll ignore the Chelski slur :wink:


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests