Singapore Expats Forum

Student Pass and EP

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
roger_federer

Student Pass and EP

Postby roger_federer » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 6:14 pm

Hi,
Suppose I'm on a student pass which expires in two years or so (full time student). For the last semester of my course (student pass valid for another year), I convert from full time to part time student. My prospective employer files for EP, EP gets rejected so he files for appeal. Finally, a couple of months through (haven't started working yet), the IPA for the EP comes through. In the meantime, Im still on my student pass because:
a) I have not been told to surrender it
b) If i surrender it it makes me subject to the approval/rejection/appeal of the EP
My question is, Can my student pass be cancelled (note: not expired) without my notice. As in, can the ICA cancel it? Can the University tell the ICA to cancel it? Wouldn't I be informed if this was the case?
I received no information/letter/email asking me to surrender it. When my university converted me, all they issued was a letter from the department saying, congratulations...your request to convert from full tiem to part time has been approved.

Thanks for your advice. If i want my EP now, do i surrender my student pass first? Or should I make an appointment to collect my EP and then surrender my Student Pass. I know you can't hold both at the same time.

Cheers

Thanks

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 6:20 pm

Once your EP approved, you need to surrender your student pass. You can only hold one pass at a time.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

roger_federer

Postby roger_federer » Tue, 12 Apr 2011 6:43 pm

so currently i'm holding a valid student pass and hence i haven't violated any rule (surrendering student pass immediately and getting a social visit pass instead)?

basically my student pass is valid till next year. what i would like to know is whether it can be terminated/cancelled before the expiry data without my surrendering it.

now all i have to do is collect my EP and surrender my student pass in the right order? thanks