Singapore Expats Forum

EP for spouse

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
harisadu

EP for spouse

Postby harisadu » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 4:08 pm

Am moving with student pass on stipend (research scholarship for PHD). Can I get my wife and child on dependant pass? MOM says EP and S pass holders can get their spouses on dependant pass. But my stipend will be equivalent, moneywise, to an S pass holder. Has anyone done so in past?

On the EP application, there is column for spouse's education details. On that I want to highlight the fact that I am already in Singapore on a research scholarship. Will that be looked favorably by MOM ? Basically just to ensure them that its not a stunt to move in entire family after my spouse gets an EP. Is it advisable? How to do that as the form is asking only for past educational credentials not for the ongoing ones.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 4:25 pm

I find your post rather confusing.

I can't see if you are trying to get your spouse a dependent pass based upon you being in SG as a student, or an employment pass on his/her own merits.
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

harisadu

Postby harisadu » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:23 pm

JR8 wrote:I find your post rather confusing.

I can't see if you are trying to get your spouse a dependent pass based upon you being in SG as a student, or an employment pass on his/her own merits.

Advantages of DP is that spouse will be permitted to work. Whereas in EP there is a chance that its not granted. If its not granted then it will be very difficult to sustain for me in stipend only.

All the stories about difficulty in EP, here in this forum, are worrying me ! thats the reason I want to explore this option if possible.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:35 pm

Let's try again.

What visa are you hoping your wife might be granted? What is it called?

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:39 pm

harisadu wrote:
JR8 wrote:I find your post rather confusing.

Advantages of DP is that spouse will be permitted to work. Whereas in EP there is a chance that its not granted. If its not granted then it will be very difficult to sustain for me in stipend only.

All the stories about difficulty in EP, here in this forum, are worrying me ! thats the reason I want to explore this option if possible.

I think for dependent of a Student Pass , an DP will not be granted. May be your College MAY try for a LTSVP for your wife. But your wife cannot work being on a LTSVP. If she needs to work in SG , she needs to either on EP/WP/PR/Singapore Citizen.

All other passes are not allowed to work in Singapore. Good Luck !

harisadu

Postby harisadu » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:47 pm

JR8 wrote:Let's try again.

Am hoping for a dependant pass for my spouse

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:56 pm

harisadu wrote:

Aiyoh !!! Only EP can get DP . Student Pass mana can get DP only LTSVP !!!

go to www.mom.gov.sg and look for the passes

If all cannot get see PAP lah !!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:59 pm

Oh ok, that's not your title for the topic hence my confusion.

I'd listen to SingaporeFlyer, he knows much more about visas and stuff than me. Or you could always call ICA and ask them!

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:59 pm

harisadu wrote:

Please read the link below and see that only EP and S Pass holders can bring their spouse/children on DP

http://www.mom.gov.sg/foreign-manpower/ ... fault.aspx

Also understand that student pass is issued by ICA and DP is issued by MOM. So how can a person who is issued a student pass from ICA get a DP from MOM for his family members?

just my 2 cents..

Mad Scientist
Director
Director

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:03 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
Also understand that student pass is issued by ICA and DP is issued by MOM. So how can a person who is issued a student pass from ICA get a DP from MOM for his family members?

just my 2 cents..

Exactly !!!!
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:26 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

just my 2 cents..

Exactly !!!!

A little word of encouragement to the OP: if you are a PhD Student, I believe and assume you are on a sponsorship - go and ask the sponsor - and if it is a govt establishment, they may do some minor wonders ..

or maybe I muddled up my explanation here ..

And then again, you say your stipend is low .. so .. the better bet would be to go and ask your 'agency' for PR process. Despite your short stay here, scholars get PR approval fast tracked .. or used to ..

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Postby singaporeflyer » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 7:18 pm

ecureilx wrote:
Mad Scientist wrote:
singaporeflyer wrote:

just my 2 cents..

Exactly !!!!

A little word of encouragement to the OP: if you are a PhD Student, I believe and assume you are on a sponsorship - go and ask the sponsor - and if it is a govt establishment, they may do some minor wonders ..

or maybe I muddled up my explanation here ..

And then again, you say your stipend is low .. so .. the better bet would be to go and ask your 'agency' for PR process. Despite your short stay here, scholars get PR approval fast tracked .. or used to ..

Only after he completes his Phd in Singapore pr would be easy.not before that .also he can't get pr for his wife when he is studying.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 7:20 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:Only after he completes his Phd in Singapore pr would be easy.not before that .also he can't get pr for his wife when he is studying.

Oh, I thought he is certified to be a PH .. D .. there maybe some leeway .. alas, I believe you are right .. :D :D