Singapore Expats Forum

LTVP for Mother-in-law. Plz Advise!

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
exomaka

LTVP for Mother-in-law. Plz Advise!

Postby exomaka » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 1:38 pm

Hi all,

My wife (EP holder) works for a bank in Singapore.

I am currently studing here in Student Pass.

My wifey and I got legally registerted last year in ROM, Singapore.

We tried to apply for LTVP for my mother through her bank, but unfortunately her bank cannot sponsor for mother-in-law as per their policy.

My mother is stuck in India :(

Could anyone let us know what are our alternatives to get my mother in LTVP?

Appreciate ur time and help is advance :)

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Postby scarbowl » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 2:29 pm

Sorry but most of us likely appreciate that the mother-in-law is living in another country and would not want her here in Singapore! :D

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 3:21 pm

You should be thankful! :D

You want mine instead? [-o<

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: LTVP for Mother-in-law. Plz Advise!

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 3:58 pm

exomaka wrote:We tried to apply for LTVP for my mother through her bank, but unfortunately her bank cannot sponsor for mother-in-law as per their policy.

You are one lucky son-of-a-gun ..

Your wife got you a pass, and you want your wife to bring YOUR MOM ?? ouch ..

Well, banks or any company, never will sponsor for anybody's parents - or in-laws ..

Parents and in laws are as per your capacity ..

Still you are one lucky son of a gun .. :D :D

SMS and Scarbowl: he meant - His wife's mother in-law- i..e His own mother :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 4:36 pm

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=174&secid=171
Female Visitor whose Child/Grandchild is Studying in Singapore on a Student's Pass

Isn't this what you need?
'Do it or do not do it: You will regret both' - Kierkegaard

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 4:42 pm

JR8 wrote:http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=174&secid=171
Female Visitor whose Child/Grandchild is Studying in Singapore on a Student's Pass

But the OP is a MALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Re: LTVP for Mother-in-law. Plz Advise!

Postby revhappy » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:12 pm

exomaka wrote:Hi all,

We tried to apply for LTVP for my mother through her bank, but unfortunately her bank cannot sponsor for mother-in-law as per their policy.

My mother is stuck in India :(

Thats a crazy policy. If your wife has atleast a P2 visa or above then she qualifies to bring inlaws in SG on LTSVP.

What does the bank mean by "Cannot Sponsor"? Tell them you will pay for the tickets and accomodation and everything, all they need to do is sign on the god damned LTVSP application paper.

If they cant do that then they suck bigtime. And please let me know which bank is that cuz I wouldn't want to touch them with a barge pole ever in the future.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:37 pm

There are lots of companies here that won't sponsor anybody except wives and kids.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 5:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There are lots of companies here that won't sponsor anybody except wives and kids.

And I worked for enough companies, where their HR policy says "Male staff, sponsor letter for wife + Male staff's parents., Female staff, sponsor letter for the husband, if needed and case by case basis+ female staff's parents"

HR policies are in place, for various reasons, and good ones. I remember a company, where they gave out sponsor letters for a female staff's parents, her in laws, and sundry and all, and then she decided to work half a day effectively, as she had so much of family commitment, and a month later, the company had enough .. and when she went on to seek sympathy and go on the 'have a heart' campaign .. it didn't move much ..

Threatening to not to do business with a bank, because they refused a sponsor letter for the female staff's husband's parents .. well, not done, in my eyes.

If the person was so in need, he/she should be able to do it themselves, and consider the company letter as a bonus ..

Maybe I am wrong .. :(

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:There are lots of companies here that won't sponsor anybody except wives and kids.

I remember a company, where they gave out sponsor letters for a female staff's parents, her in laws, and sundry and all, and then she decided to work half a day effectively, as she had so much of family commitment, and a month later, the company had enough .. and when she went on to seek sympathy and go on the 'have a heart' campaign .. it didn't move much ..

Thats a crazy reason, because family commitment is applicable for SG citizens as well. So will look selectively hire employees with only small families?

My point is if the gahmen is allowing dependants to come in then why should companies override it? I can understand if the word "sponsor "meant flight charges, accomodation etc.

But if the EP holder is going to bear all that then what is the company's problem?

1st I heard that employers here dont encourage women to get pregnant. Then I heard many companies dont have an easy exit clause. Now I hear this.

SG should be voted the worst employee friendly country in the world, in that case.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:13 pm

revhappy wrote:Thats a crazy reason, because family commitment is applicable for SG citizens as well. So will look selectively hire employees with only small families?

My point is if the gahmen is allowing dependants to come in then why should companies override it? I can understand if the word "sponsor "meant flight charges, accomodation etc.

But if the EP holder is going to bear all that then what is the company's problem?

SG should be voted the worst employee friendly countries in the world, in that case.

No, you missed the point. I am yet to see Singaporeans who take leave left right and center, because sister wants to go to zoo, important mother in law needs to take a walk .. etc. etc... unlike some foreigners, who make use of the annual leave, + make use of enough of no-pay leave, and then, also, when allowed, 'borrow from next year's allocation .. '

As for the employee friendly country ? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ... again you missed the point.

If you want a company to sponsor everything from the dog to the cat and the neighbour's cow, then .. tell me again, which country in Asia comes even close to making people make a mad dash to that country ???

Don't blame the country, if certain nationalities set bad precedents ..

As I am typing this, three of my expat colleageus are already plotting how to extend the next week's festival in their country, by taking MC on the preceding day and then stretch it to make it a 1 month leave ..

Now, if I am an employer, well, I would respect human rights and what not, but, then I would start to look for people who are not so 'leave hungry' .. and prefer people who work .. not constantly MIA ..

As for your rant on the sponsorship -as I said, if the OP feels the company sucks, and you too feel the company sucks, go it alone .. go to ICA and do it alone ...

PS: while you are loosing your temper, somebody is very absent .. the OP .. :D :D And one post and stirred up the hornet's nest ..

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 08 Apr 2011 6:16 pm

Forgot to add: such blatant abuse of leeway only exists in larger companies, as the staff knows that the bigger company, the more they are lax .. unlike smaller companies, who will smile-smile, and then chao-chao .. :D :D

I know people, who took 2 whole month for wedding, and then for three other follow-on functions .. till the employee effectively worked only for 6 months of that year .. and the HR manager of that company could only say "FT, but hey, we can't do shit because we will be branded as employee unfriendly company .. "

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Postby revhappy » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 5:34 pm

At the start, I would like to say that I am not losing my temper. I am just surprised at how medieval the HR culture is some companies here compared to companies in India. So its just a healthy debate :)

Saying that foreigners take vacation often is not a good enough reason to justify no visa sponsorship for in-laws. I am still not convinced as to why a company would refuse to sponsor the EP holders inlaws, even though the Gahmen allows. Give me one good reason.

Also please dont compare Singapore, with Asia as I have said before its a well known fact that SG is way ahead of most Asian countries and if it stooped to the level of some of the other Asian countries, we wouldnt even have been here. If you really want to compare then may be compare with HK.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 5:59 pm

Frankly, you are not going to like this one bit. But, if you will think back, I've already alluded to this policy by the Gahmen as well as a means to control immigration of certain minorities which are currently higher than the accepted norm here.

A company, sponsoring the whole family, could find themselves stuck with a massive repatriation bill if the shinola turns to S**t. That what sponsorship means. The company will be responsible for the sponsored persons while they are here and will be responsible for their repatriation. That, to me is a pretty good reason. Kinda like a guarantor on a loan. People here do it all the time without fully understanding the fact that if the person taking the loan defaults, they the guarantor is the one who has to pay for it. Personally, I'd sponsor the spouse & minor kids, but that's all.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 7:03 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JR8 wrote:http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=174&secid=171

But the OP is a MALE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is the visa only available to parents/grandparents of females? If so it does not seem to say.