Singapore Expats

Skinny and Scrawny

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Post by Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:13 pm

banana wrote:You know what they say...

More cushin for the pushin
Welcome to the Banana Cliche factory!

Closed briefly for renovation but now newly expanded!
Last edited by Mary Hatch Bailey on Sun, 16 Oct 2005 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

YF
Regular
Regular

Post by YF » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:41 pm

You could look at it two ways:

(1) The increasing westernization of the east is bound to create an obesity epidemic such as that found in the US.

(2) Is there anything wrong with encouraging healthy living and a healthy diet? I think this could have a significant impact on the overall welfare of society. Even if the main motivation is vanity, mayb the ends justify the means.

Someone once told me: "You know you are in the US when even the asian girls are fat" -- this is not a jok either. I noticed a big moving from Canada to the US. I also heard something this summer about immigrants moving here, and within a single generation the "traditional" diet is repalced by the american diet and there is a 20% increase in body fat.

The fact of the matter is that we are not engineered to be fat, and I think that can have important health consequences. Think about it: do you think Syou would have seen someone like Star Jones (The View) living 10 000 years ago? Hell no. Call it "thyroid" problems or whatever, its just not a healthy physical state.

Just my $0.02 (As usual). Still lurking around :)

RDL

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 8:18 am

Wind In My Hair wrote:
Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Strange how while Africa slowly starves to death the West counts carbs.
you know, Mary, this used to bother me when i was younger. you've just reminded to start thinking about it again.

Is this a case of food for thought?

'nuff said Image

dot dot dot
Manager
Manager

Post by dot dot dot » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:38 pm

YF wrote:You could look at it two ways:

(1) The increasing westernization of the east is bound to create an obesity epidemic such as that found in the US.

(2) Is there anything wrong with encouraging healthy living and a healthy diet? I think this could have a significant impact on the overall welfare of society. Even if the main motivation is vanity, mayb the ends justify the means.

Someone once told me: "You know you are in the US when even the asian girls are fat" -- this is not a jok either. I noticed a big moving from Canada to the US. I also heard something this summer about immigrants moving here, and within a single generation the "traditional" diet is repalced by the american diet and there is a 20% increase in body fat.

The fact of the matter is that we are not engineered to be fat, and I think that can have important health consequences. Think about it: do you think Syou would have seen someone like Star Jones (The View) living 10 000 years ago? Hell no. Call it "thyroid" problems or whatever, its just not a healthy physical state.

Just my $0.02 (As usual). Still lurking around :)

RDL
To a certain extent Rob. I am not sure you have seen the kind of ads that are mentioned here, but those ads for slimming are in no way related or targeted to a healthy lifestyle. It is just to comply with the idiot pretention of being more attractive when weighing less than 8 kg or alike.

It is horrible to see these ads all ove the papers and in commercials on tv. I hate it, makes me feel sick.

Eric

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Sun, 16 Oct 2005 4:36 pm

I blame Confucianism ideals.
some signatures are more equal than others

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 11:58 am

banana wrote:I blame Confucianism ideals.

Don't you mean idears? :)

Anyway, Asia has come a long way - from foot-binding to western-style obesity - yeeeeha!

'nuff said Image

psying

Post by psying » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 2:06 pm

a stage that most women go thru
JuzMe

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Post by banana » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 8:58 pm

...then they get married.
some signatures are more equal than others

sputnik

Post by sputnik » Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:29 pm

Weight loss is definitely not just confined to Singapore, although I would agree that it is very in-your-face here.

I am not used to going to a shopping centre and being confronted with Marie France/Claire etc. Slim-a-Centres at every opportunity. Even standing at the bus stop, the Slim-a-Centre advertising whizzes past showing skinny items skipping off between some closely parked sportscars....that particular advantage of weightloss has not really struck me as a particular incentive to shed those pounds (or spend loads of money in the process). Anyway, if some people put on weight, they wouldn't have to do the boob enlargement thing.

I must say that I quite appreciate the new Dove advertising. At last there are some adverts with some average/larger sized figures...

samantha
Chatter
Chatter

Post by samantha » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:47 am

I think being slim gives some women a sense of security... and self esteem. Personally i think going for slimming sessions is a pure waste of time and money. FOr one, its not permenant, and it is unhealthy.. :wink:

But there is one aspect of slimming that i respect. they help those grossly overweight people gain the self confidence, esteem and respect they so badly wanted... :lol:
I'm so stupid that I surprise myself sometimes...

Dunk
Regular
Regular

Slimming

Post by Dunk » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 2:19 pm

I like big buts and I cant deny...!

psying

Post by psying » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:00 pm

skinny ladies still thinking to lost weight and silm ladies when they open their mouth, they tok abt diet
JuzMe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:19 pm

psying wrote:skinny ladies still thinking to lost weight and silm ladies when they open their mouth, they tok abt diet

tok abt? Toke abbot? Visions of pot-smoking priests come to mind here.

'nuff said Image

psying

Post by psying » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:24 pm

talk about
JuzMe

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Post by Vaucluse » Tue, 18 Oct 2005 4:33 pm

Oh :-|

'nuff said Image