Singapore Expats Forum

Skinny and Scrawny

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Skinny and Scrawny

Postby Guest » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:09 pm

So what's the deal with all of the slimming ads and "fat camps" in Singapore? I find it hard to believe that the government of such a progressive society allows the advertising, and selling, of so many slimming drugs and quick "fixes". I also cannot believe that so many people buy into this crap. The government should be pushing healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle in order to trim down unwanted pounds, rather than push adverts from actors and actresses to take slimming pills or to use slimming lotions.

Pick up a copy of the local newspaper and you'll have a hard time missing what I'm talking about. The ads for slimming pills are right there inbetween the ads for breast enlargements.

Postby Guest » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:20 pm

Vanity my friend. Singaporeans are so worried about how they look and how others perceive them, they don't think twice about the quick fix.

slim

Postby Guest » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:07 am

brother, everywhere is the same. :wink:

y_bear69

Postby y_bear69 » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:08 am

right, all these advertisment is crazy. The clothes in the shops now are getting smaller and smaller in size. My friends hardly buy any clothes from the neighbourhood stores eventhough she is not fat.

Tabby

Re: Skinny and Scrawny Singaporeans

Postby Tabby » Tue, 16 Nov 2004 11:36 am

Oh the govt promotes eating healthy alright.. but the food courts (where most of the people eat) and other outlets dont care too much. Whats the point of eating vegetables that are soaking in oil and MSG, or having soups laden with salt and MSG. The adverts say "ask for less oil or more vegetables"... what a laugh!!! U ask for for that and u get a dirty look!!!

So, if the Ministry of Health is reading this,,, why dont u send circulars to all the food outlets and tell them to cut down the oil, msg and salt by half. Really, we wont know the difference. If we wanted more salt or msg, we could add it ourselves!! MSG is of absolutely no use and if you take pride in yr cooking why would u want to add articifial flavouring anyway?

As for the bust enhancements and slimming stuff.. wish they'd spend half that money developing their selves, into having more self esteem, into becoming kinder, more gracious people!

Anonymous wrote:So what's the deal with all of the slimming ads and "fat camps" in Singapore? I find it hard to believe that the government of such a progressive society allows the advertising, and selling, of so many slimming drugs and quick "fixes". I also cannot believe that so many people buy into this crap. The government should be pushing healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle in order to trim down unwanted pounds, rather than push adverts from actors and actresses to take slimming pills or to use slimming lotions.

Pick up a copy of the local newspaper and you'll have a hard time missing what I'm talking about. The ads for slimming pills are right there inbetween the ads for breast enlargements.

laluna1009

slimer for confident?

Postby laluna1009 » Wed, 17 Nov 2004 10:52 am

The idea of being slimer & a more scrulpted body to most people now adays are due to the lack of self-confident.
Most of us feels the lack of confident & are more affected by how others look at us then what we really am.
But think twice. If there's a chance to be pretty or handsome...
who will choose to be this ugly little duckling who will never change into a swan?
Coz everywhere on earth,you're being judge by how you look 1st before they find out what you are within... :cry:
So if this ugly duckling who have a nice heart and personality can choose a shorter path,y not? :P
Majority of humans mentality are...if these pills can solve my problems,why should i bother to go thru the hard way...& when asked y the shortcut?
The answer is always "too buzy" what about "too lazy"
So as for all those products and services..."when there's a demand,there's always more than enough supplies"

Vaucluse
Director
Director

Re: Skinny and Scrawny Singaporeans

Postby Vaucluse » Fri, 14 Oct 2005 7:59 pm

Anonymous wrote:So what's the deal with all of the slimming ads and "fat camps" in Singapore? I find it hard to believe that the government of such a progressive society allows the advertising, and selling, of so many slimming drugs and quick "fixes". I also cannot believe that so many people buy into this crap. The government should be pushing healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle in order to trim down unwanted pounds, rather than push adverts from actors and actresses to take slimming pills or to use slimming lotions.

Why single out Singapore for crtiticism? Checkout any papers, est, west, north or south. It's a multi-billion dollar industry.

'nuff said Image

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 9:14 am

Vaucloseau, your typos are really begining to get on my nerves! :P
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Inspector Vaucloseau

Postby Inspector Vaucloseau » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 9:22 am

sapphire wrote:Vaucloseau, your typos are really begining to get on my nerves! :P

Not MINE, Madam!

Mary Hatch Bailey
Manager
Manager

Postby Mary Hatch Bailey » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 9:41 am

FYI --

I have a friend who used to teach a spin class at Cailfornia Fitness. She said that Singaporeans often have a deceptively high fat percentage. Very unhealthy since they look so thin, but are actaully unhealthy.

Agree with Vaucluse and others, this desire to be thin is not a 'Singaporean' thing at all. A world wide phenomenon. Strange how while Africa slowly starves to death the West counts carbs.

EADG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby EADG » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:43 am

sapphire wrote:Vaucloseau, your typos are really begining to get on my nerves! :P

beginning

touché

doh!
Last edited by EADG on Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ape Shall Not Kill Ape

sapphire
Manager
Manager

Postby sapphire » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:50 am

I swear I was half awake when I posted that! Beginning, beginning, beginning, must remember!
It's not getting any smarter out there. You have to come to terms with stupidity, and make it work for you.

Bubbles
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Bubbles » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 6:12 pm

OK guys, answer me this, truthfully............(as it has resonances in the whole question of how men perceive women and verse visa)

Do you prefer a bit of fat on your women?

You see, there's been a big hoohah in the papers and mags here about very skinny celeb WOMEN...(not a bloody word about the men)...and the concensus is that men prefer curvy women, like Catherine ZJ or Charlotte Church, or Susan Sarandon, or J Lo.....but still they keep trawling out, the skinny brigade.....Paris Hilton, Kate Moss...etc etc etc.....

It would be too simplistic to say that the skinnies are all druggies etc etc, so what is it you prefer guys?

Discussed this with men from the office the other day and they said, yeah fine on beauties like CZJ etc but skinnier is better and that when some women say 'men prefer a bit of meat on their women' that they use it as an excuse to get plump or fat and have saddlebag thighs.....(yes, I nealy put arsenic in their tea, but had run out and the chemist wouldn't sell me a new supply, funny that, lol)......

So, it's a whole society thing, thinness.....so many things attached to it, not just the healthy view............
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Dylan Thomas.

banana
Reporter
Reporter

Postby banana » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 6:24 pm

You know what they say...

More cushin for the pushin
some signatures are more equal than others

Wind In My Hair
Manager
Manager

Postby Wind In My Hair » Sat, 15 Oct 2005 11:00 pm

Mary Hatch Bailey wrote:Strange how while Africa slowly starves to death the West counts carbs.

you know, Mary, this used to bother me when i was younger. you've just reminded to start thinking about it again.