Singapore Expats

Notice period during probation ??

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
kwikwisi

Notice period during probation ??

Post by kwikwisi » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 3:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking to resign from current job for another good opportunity. The probation period is 3 months and now is around 3.5 months already.So far, I've never received any sort of notification that states that I've been confirmed. Also they still keep deducting pay for leave taken.

The employment letter mentions that company can terminate service with immediate affect within probation period but no statement if I'd like to leave within probation. Offical notice upon confirmation is 2 months but 4months if the project is on hand.

Anyway , I'm thinking to give 1week of notice. Is it resonable ? Can they say that I've been confirmed after 3mths without any notification ? See they still deduct money for the leave taken after 3mths .

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 3:41 pm

Read your contract or your company's employee manual. Make sure it's not stated in there the terms of your probation. We don't give out a confirmation letter either, but our contract states that you will be automatically confirmed after 3 months unless you are given a written letter extending the probation.

In any case, they have to give you the same terms as they have with regard to leave. If they can terminate your services with one day's notice while on probation, then you also have the same. After you are confirmed, if you need to give 2 months notice, then they also must give you the same, or salary in lieu of (the salary in lieu of goes both ways as well) Unless you are being terminated with cause, then they don't have to give you any notice at all, but must be able to justify "cause".

So, your first goal is to go to HR and determine if you have been confirmed or not and how long is probation exactly. You are justified in asking if it's not spelled out in your contract, so not to worry.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kwikwisi

Post by kwikwisi » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 3:48 pm

The contract doesnt state that I'll be auto confirmed after 3mths of service. Another thing is leave taken after 3mths will be no pay leave.

Fair to give 1week of notice for not being confirmed ?

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 11:16 am

kwikwisi wrote:The contract doesnt state that I'll be auto confirmed after 3mths of service. Another thing is leave taken after 3mths will be no pay leave.

Fair to give 1week of notice for not being confirmed ?
Did you actually read his reply?

kwikwisi

Post by kwikwisi » Sat, 09 Apr 2011 5:16 pm

Hi ,

The problem is that company is asking me to give salary in lieu or 4 months of notiee.
In contract , I would need pay salary in lieu if I resign during the project but doesnt mention it effects under probation or not. But surely they can terminate service with no compensation within probation and never mention about employee side. I would like to know do I also have same right to do so within probation ? Any reference from MOM website ?

Thanks.