Singapore Expats Forum

Usenet (NNTP)

Discuss about computers & Internet. Including mobile phones, home appliances & other gadgets. Read about Windows security risks or virus updates.
OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011

Usenet (NNTP)

Postby OdinZA » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 8:08 pm

Hi

My first post and by no means last. Currently evaluating a job offer and am looking for some information on internet speeds/usage.

Questions:

1. If you download off usenet, what speeds do you get
2. Which usenet provider are you using
3. Which Singapore internet provider are you using

Thanks

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9808
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Usenet (NNTP)

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:18 pm

OdinZA wrote:Hi

My first post and by no means last. Currently evaluating a job offer and am looking for some information on internet speeds/usage.

Questions:

1. If you download off usenet, what speeds do you get
2. Which usenet provider are you using
3. Which Singapore internet provider are you using

Thanks


errr what has the job got to do with evaluating ?? :(

And who the heck uses Newsnet now ?? ?:(

Don't tell me an agent just threw the questions at you to check you ..

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011

Postby OdinZA » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 10:40 pm

Sorry, the comment about jobs has nothing to do with usenet.

I'm old and still use usenet!

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9808
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:59 pm

OdinZA wrote:Sorry, the comment about jobs has nothing to do with usenet.

I'm old and still use usenet!


And what's the objective of these questions, if I may ask ??

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011

Postby OdinZA » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 4:40 am

I currently use usenet a lot and given my potential move to singapore, I would like to establish what change to my usage patterns this would mean.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 5:07 am

And what is it you 'download' off Usenet?

Funny I thought it was just text bulletin boards/chat groups.

Your questions make no sense to me.

Get ready for the old tick-tock

:roll:

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34659
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 6:53 am

Maybe our friend is employed by Symantec Cloud Security?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 7:20 am

Who knows.... says he's old, but profile says he's a gamer.

Most people these days wouldn't even know what Usenet is. Yet he signs up here to ask questions that could be answered better by simply googling.

dunno, but my fishyometer clock tick=tocked

User avatar
durain
Director
Director
Posts: 3666
Joined: Thu, 23 Aug 2007
Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby durain » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 7:41 am

usenet used to be text based and can access it via dial up for old timer. these days, youth use it to download porn and illegal stuff.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 7:48 am

Oh issit! Yah I was an ol' timer that used it for pre-forum chat...


So the OP is into porn and stuff yah?

OdinZA
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon, 04 Apr 2011

Postby OdinZA » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 8:12 pm

JR8 wrote:And what is it you 'download' off Usenet?

Funny I thought it was just text bulletin boards/chat groups.

Your questions make no sense to me.

Get ready for the old tick-tock

:roll:


What is the old "tick-tock" ?

and no, I don't work for Symatec

For obvious reasons, I don't game as much as I used to.

as for what I use usenet for, its irrelevant and I have been a gamer for about 28 years :P

I have been using the internet when it was all about gopher and the closest thing to facebook was the finger command.

I take it that none of you use usenet and google does not tell me much about real world usenet availability from singapore.

If anyone can point me to a more technical singapore forum, that would be appreciated.

BTW...I'm too old for pr0n :(

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34659
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 9:04 pm

DAMN! Sumbody older'n me! It's about time! :lol: :cool:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9808
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 9:18 pm

OdinZA wrote:If anyone can point me to a more technical singapore forum, that would be appreciated.

BTW...I'm too old for pr0n :(


Well, those things did exist in Singapore, but with lesser and lesser people using they all took the message and left.

I still remember the BBS days ..

Not sure if there are any forums, but, the kids nowadays don't want to know the old stuff and anyway, anybody with a 2 hour training progresses to be an internet expert ..so why bother with old crap ?? :)

PS: where are you from, if I may ask ?? Just curious ..

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 05 Apr 2011 9:40 pm

ecureilx wrote:
OdinZA wrote:If anyone can point me to a more technical singapore forum, that would be appreciated.

BTW...I'm too old for pr0n :(


Well, those things did exist in Singapore, but with lesser and lesser people using they all took the message and left.

I still remember the BBS days ..

Not sure if there are any forums, but, the kids nowadays don't want to know the old stuff and anyway, anybody with a 2 hour training progresses to be an internet expert ..so why bother with old crap ?? :)

PS: where are you from, if I may ask ?? Just curious ..



And see here, for nostalgics, the lumbering beast of the 1st text-based SG forum still lumbers on. What was Usenet, now taken over by Google as part of 'Google Groups'.
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.cult ... art=0&sa=N

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9294
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 06 Apr 2011 2:38 am

OdinZA wrote:as for what I use usenet for, its irrelevant and I have been a gamer for about 28 years :P

It is relevant esp. if you, as you said further do not use it for a porn :) There are other binary groups of course but if this is not about them then again your question is weird judging from your declared experience.
FYI I use my private nntp server-client (leafnode) to fetch some local, European groups directly from the servers in Europe. You should have no problems whatsoever finding such servers around the world and fetching whatever you want unless you are interested in some traffic thick binary groups. I would not even bother to look for a local nntp server.


Return to “Computer, Internet, Phone & Electronics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest