Singapore Expats Forum

Wife visiting whilst DP is processed

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nburge
Regular
Regular

Wife visiting whilst DP is processed

Postby nburge » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 6:07 pm

Hi - I'm moving to Singapore in May on an EP (already got the IPA). My wife is going to join me there and we will either apply for a DP for her, or for an EP if she can qualify directly. My question is: can my wife stay in Singapore on a regular visitor pass (like a tourist) whilst the DP is being processed? Or does she have to be outside the country whilst they make their mind up?

Thanks.

singaporeflyer
Editor
Editor

Re: Wife visiting whilst DP is processed

Postby singaporeflyer » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 6:52 pm

nburge wrote:Hi - I'm moving to Singapore in May on an EP (already got the IPA). My wife is going to join me there and we will either apply for a DP for her, or for an EP if she can qualify directly. My question is: can my wife stay in Singapore on a regular visitor pass (like a tourist) whilst the DP is being processed? Or does she have to be outside the country whilst they make their mind up?

Thanks.

Normally she can visit and stay in singapore for 30 days on a Social Visit Pass

Strong Eagle

Re: Wife visiting whilst DP is processed

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 7:29 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:
nburge wrote:Hi - I'm moving to Singapore in May on an EP (already got the IPA). My wife is going to join me there and we will either apply for a DP for her, or for an EP if she can qualify directly. My question is: can my wife stay in Singapore on a regular visitor pass (like a tourist) whilst the DP is being processed? Or does she have to be outside the country whilst they make their mind up?

Thanks.

Normally she can visit and stay in singapore for 30 days on a Social Visit Pass

But why wouldn't you get a DP for her, which is almost automatic, then convert to an EP when she gets a job? As a matter of fact, why didn't you apply for her DP when you applied for your DP?

nburge
Regular
Regular

Postby nburge » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 8:12 pm

I need to get the wedding certificate first. We got married in Cambodia ovr Xmas, but they wouldn't issue a certificate (because we're both foreigners) so we need to do it all again in Thailand in may...

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 11:58 am

Your "Wife" can enter on a tourist visa which could give her up to 3 months but she must have a return flight booked.

Ever thought of getting married in Singapore? It's a very easy process and having a Singapore Marriage Cert will give you a better chance of getting a DP approved.

nburge
Regular
Regular

Postby nburge » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 3:27 pm

I hadn't thought about getting married in Singapore, although I guess it does make a lot of sense. I've already done all the ceremonial stuff (had a buddhist wedding as my "wife's" parents are Cambodian, but just need to do it again for the sake of the paperwork (which is the important bit!).

Also - in the UK (where I'm from) it is looked upon suspiciously if you arrive with the intention of getting married there.

Saint
Director
Director

Postby Saint » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 3:48 pm

nburge wrote:I hadn't thought about getting married in Singapore, although I guess it does make a lot of sense. I've already done all the ceremonial stuff (had a buddhist wedding as my "wife's" parents are Cambodian, but just need to do it again for the sake of the paperwork (which is the important bit!).

Also - in the UK (where I'm from) it is looked upon suspiciously if you arrive with the intention of getting married there.

As you'll be here on a EP it won't look suspicous, as long as you following ROM website guidelines a timelines etc it shouldn't be a problem

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 4:08 pm

That and don't try to apply for PR six months after getting your EP.

nburge
Regular
Regular

Postby nburge » Mon, 04 Apr 2011 6:00 pm

Thanks, I'll take a look at that as an option. I have to be in Thailand for work in may anyway, so it might just be easier to get it done whilst I'm there.

I'm not that interested in a PR at the moment, so I definitely won't try that 6 months in! :)