Singapore Expats

New employment offer after accepting a new job offer

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
jamesmc26

New employment offer after accepting a new job offer

Post by jamesmc26 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:42 am

Hi,

I’ve accepted a job offer from Company A and signed the employment offer letter last month. They company has also applied the employment pass for me and has been approved. My starting work date will be in July.

Last week, another company B rang me up and they are interested in hiring me. I told them I’ve accepted a job offer and also has the EP approved. I told them my concern that I’ve accepted an offer and it’s not good to turn the offer down. Also, I have a feeling that MOM may not approve the EP for the other company.

They told me that it is not an issue as they can easily get a EP for me. They also say that this is very common in Singapore. Is it true? Comments and feedback appreciated.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 10:54 am

Of course, they are just going to say whatever they need to get you to accept their offer, if MOM then turn down your EP it's no skin off their nose and they move and find someone else instead.

If you've already signed a contract with company A and were happy with the offer (I assume you were if you signed for them) and your EP has been approved then it's a no-brainer in my opinion, go and work for them as no-one can predict whether MOM will approve another EP for you or not and it's not worth the risk in finding out

jamesmc26

Post by jamesmc26 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:05 am

Yes. I agree with you. That’s why I directly told them my concern and the risk is there whereby MOM may not issue another EP for me. The HR said no problem, they have good connections with the MOM personnel etc, and this is very common in Singapore whereby people move from one company to another. The HR manager sounded so confident..straight away say no problem. I said no to them but they are so keen and even the manager wanted to talk to me without any obligation.

Yes. I’ve signed a contract with company A and was happy with the offer. EP approved as well. But this new company B salary offer is 40% more than company A. That is why I need feedback whether you guys encounter the same scenario before and what would be the outcome.

By the way, does this means that when a person accepts an offer from a company under EP, he/she will not be able to look for a new job? What if lets say after 1 year I decided to look for a new job, will there be an issue? I’ve also heard people say that a person can apply for PR after 6 months working down the track and with a PR, it’s easy to find a new job.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:02 pm

jamesmc26 wrote: That is why I need feedback whether you guys encounter the same scenario before and what would be the outcome.
Look, no-one can tell you what 'would' be the outcome, everything is done on a case-by-case basis and it's down to the discretion of the MOM officer reviewing the application at the time, just because it worked out for someone else doesn't mean it will for you.

Just because company B say they can get you an EP doesn't necessarily mean it'll happen, but if course they're not going to say anything other than what they're saying because then you (I assume) won't be interested.

You also need to check the contract that you signed with company A to see if there is any penalty clause for you reneging on the contract, you can't just sign something and then disregard it when a better offer comes along so check that you have a way out before you tell them you don't want the job anymore, you may have to work 2 months notice, or give them 2 months salary or something else, it should be in the contract.

Your last sentence makes you sound like a bit of a mercenary who is going to be job-hopping every 6 months in search of more money, if you go down that path you're very unlikely to get PR and certainly you won't get PR after being here for 6 months anymore, try 2-3 years at least (preferably with the same company)

jamesmc26

Post by jamesmc26 » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 12:19 pm

I know. That is why I raised my concern about the EP.
The HR sounded so confident which I have to be careful.
The penalty clause is 2 months salary. I told the company B HR that there will be a 2 months penalty clause. They say no problem. My only concern is on getting the EP with company B.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve been with my current company since 2003. I’m not a job hopper. Just that I heard from various people that a person can start applying for PR after 6 months working and with a PR, easy to change job. That’s from mouth to mouth what people usually says. I do not have an idea on it, that is why I’m asking. Some of my friends even mentioned that after 3 months, can start applying for PR which I think is too soon?

CYM

Re: New employment offer after accepting a new job offer

Post by CYM » Sat, 22 Feb 2020 7:41 am

Hi
I’m facing the similar situation like jamesmc26. Whereby I got the company transfer to Singapore after tendered my resignation.

I got the employment pass approved which managed by company A, and now received offer for transferring to Singapore from my existing company.

Is anyone experience similar situation before?

Wonder how high chance will I get for MOM to approve second EP application?