Singapore Expats Forum

Staging/Theatre work

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

Singaporebound?

Staging/Theatre work

Postby Singaporebound? » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 11:28 am

Hello! I may be relocating from Sydney to Singapore (Healthcare Advertising - great opportunity).

My husband will need to find work if he is to join me in Singapore - other option is I leave him and the cat behind! Not first choice, but one we may have to work around.

He is very experienced Theatre Technician. Currently a senior Staging Supervisor with the Sydney Opera House Trust. Has experience in the Staging Department's staff rostering, union negotiations and general and client technical needs. Previously Head Flyman for Opera Australia, with OA for over 7 years. He has over 20 years rep. theatre experience.

I have read that the Singapore Theatre scene relies heaving on "volunteer" work. As we also have a mortgage in Sydney, we will not have the income to "volunteer" his services! Does anyone work in or know someone that works in any of the local theatres/companies that could offer some advice?

Need to work out his opportunities so we can then work out what we will do if my offer comes through!

Thanks.

Bafana

Postby Bafana » Mon, 15 Nov 2004 1:19 pm

The National Arts Council is the place to start looking - They control a lot of the Theatres here.

Should also check out the Esplanade.

Don't worry if your husband gets a gig he will be paid for it - the arts performing arts scene in Singapore like everything else is very professional.

New SG res...

opera house

Postby New SG res... » Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:19 am

hi, who are you? I manage Steinway NSW & QLD and have moved here last week. Still working online... have a lot to do with Opera House. I suggest your husband gets networking. The Esplanade Theatre will have close connections with the Opera House - he just needs to talk to JK Power (tell him to tell JK that I sent him) and ask him who would be the right contacts at the theatre. if you want to email me first, do so at julie_englefield@yahoo.com - good luck - j