Singapore Expats Forum

Visitor Pass Extension

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Re: HI

Postby Saint » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:58 pm

ecureilx wrote:As for SMS : from what I know, I don't remember anybody being stopped at the point of departure for not paying taxes, though the system can finally find you out, depending upon how much is the tax assesment ..


I know of someone who was stopped at departure for apparently not paying taxes and subsequently banned from leaving Singapore. After sorting it all out with IRAS, long story, he had to carry a letter from IRAS everytime he wanted to leave Singapore stating that all outstanding tax issues had been resolved and ban had been lifted.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: HI

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 6:01 pm

Saint wrote:I know of someone who was stopped at departure for apparently not paying taxes and subsequently banned from leaving Singapore. After sorting it all out with IRAS, long story, he had to carry a letter from IRAS everytime he wanted to leave Singapore stating that all outstanding tax issues had been resolved and ban had been lifted.


Gosh, must be terrible-how much did he owe to seek the wrath of the 'people in the blue building' ? :D :D

Well, maybe he didn't scoot off until they started to look for him .. or was back when he was being wanted ..

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 6:51 pm

Mad Scientist wrote:Nath; Can you get someone from your work place, an ex-colleague, a local to be a sponsor for you while you sort out your stuff.

For the IRA tax things, go to IRA office is the best advise to sort this out or else she cannot leaves the country when the clock stop ticking.

PM me if you need help. Good luck

ms


We have her tax receipt and she has cash to pay if she gets cornered by local official and we are trying to sort this out in the next few days.

Thanks for your offer for help its much appreciated but we are just going to take the umpires decision on this and ride it out because its less than 2 week inconvenience. It just annoying we have tried to do the right thing and pay taxes and get bent over by the bureaucracy. My wife is pregnant and my main concern is her health as she is upset and crying because she cant understand why. The main reason we are leaving is to have our baby back in Oz, the AUD has climbed to high against the SGD so im no longer financially better off and ive had some bad experiences here including all this but also with medical issues. We basically cant find coverage here if we have a birth out of the ordinary (cost my neighbour SG$50k for birth because of difficulties) and I had hip operation here and had a nightmare, doctor failed to prescribe anti biotics and I got serious infection, nurses were incompetent (gave me mouthwash and told me to drink, pulled stuff out of my arm and bleed all over me, failed to listen to me concern about pain etc, and that was the start of a bad run with local service providers so we decided to go home were we know we will be better treated.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 7:01 pm

Nath21 wrote:Thanks for your offer for help its much appreciated but we are just going to take the umpires decision on this and ride it out because its less than 2 week inconvenience. It just annoying we have tried to do the right thing and pay taxes and get bent over by the bureaucracy. My wife is pregnant and my main concern is her health as she is upset and crying because she cant understand why. The main reason we are leaving is to have our baby back in Oz, the AUD has climbed to high against the SGD so im no longer financially better off and ive had some bad experiences here including all this but also with medical issues. We basically cant find coverage here if we have a birth out of the ordinary (cost my neighbour SG$50k for birth because of difficulties) and I had hip operation here and had a nightmare, doctor failed to prescribe anti biotics and I got serious infection, nurses were incompetent (gave me mouthwash and told me to drink, pulled stuff out of my arm and bleed all over me, failed to listen to me concern about pain etc, and that was the start of a bad run with local service providers so we decided to go home were we know we will be better treated.


You story sounds like a script for a movie .. if it is true, do take some time to write to SMC and submit all your documents - while you may not get compensation - SMC will act on it to protect mere mortals like us who can't afford 50K for delivery + can't undergo the doctor asking us to drink mouthwash and be operated upon ..

Well, do us all poor guys here a favour - please do that report .. I am sure you know how to write reports ..

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 7:21 pm

ecureilx wrote:
You story sounds like a script for a movie .. if it is true, do take some time to write to SMC and submit all your documents - while you may not get compensation - SMC will act on it to protect mere mortals like us who can't afford 50K for delivery + can't undergo the doctor asking us to drink mouthwash and be operated upon ..

Well, do us all poor guys here a favour - please do that report .. I am sure you know how to write reports ..


I know it easy to play all this off but it has happened and your earlier post which basically accused me of lying and this post which says its from a movie script is a big derogatory in that you play it off. It couldnt have happened your must be making it up. Mate im not sure whether it happens all the time or not but it has happened to me. There is no use reporting it im not a citizen and no one cares except for my staff I work with who are proud singaporeans as well and feel a bit ashamed about how I have been treated but I keep telling them its not there fault (obviously nationalistic feelings run wide and strong here). Ive come across many singaporeans that are proud and i admire it what i dont admire is people that think singapore is perfect and it couldnt happen here. Your obviously educated how about you use that education to think. You not offering much to this thread now but I appreciate your earlier assistance which we did try speaking face to face to both ICA and MOM. Had the day off work trying to deal with it all. As is aid we are taking the umpires decision and moving on I just dont respect the umpire.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 7:29 pm

Nath21 wrote:I know it easy to play all this off but it has happened and your earlier post which basically accused me of lying and this post which says its from a movie script is a big derogatory in that you play it off. It couldnt have happened your must be making it up. Mate im not sure whether it happens all the time or not but it has happened to me. There is no use reporting it im not a citizen and no one cares except for my staff I work with who are proud singaporeans as well and feel a bit ashamed about how I have been treated but I keep telling them its not there fault (obviously nationalistic feelings run wide and strong here). Ive come across many singaporeans that are proud and i admire it what i dont admire is people that think singapore is perfect and it couldnt happen here. Your obviously educated how about you use that education to think. You not offering much to this thread now but I appreciate your earlier assistance which we did try speaking face to face to both ICA and MOM. Had the day off work trying to deal with it all. As is aid we are taking the umpires decision and moving on.


not trying to have the last word, but they way you started off accusing Singapore of being idiots, and then on to say govt servants work on KPI and on and on and now you come off saying that the nurse gave you mouth wash and wrecked your hand ..

Do us a favour - while you may not benefitting, do the rest a favor- write to SMC ..atleast those of us who have to live in this hell-hole may benefit ..

And probably you live in a country that has the best of the best, and you have never been to other countries, so much so, I only feel anger in your postings .. there is nothing called a perfect system, but your painting everything from ICA/MOM to the medical system as screwed beggers belief ..

No worries .. I am gonna go look for my Glenfiddich now .. and hope I don't have to go to hospitals here ..

Hey, hang on - a coupe of years ago, I got operated at CGH and I don't remember a nurse feeding me mouthwash and operating on me ?? :cry: :cry:

PS: nothing of your posting makes any sense anymore .. other than that you are a cricket fan ..

Nath21
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed, 20 May 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby Nath21 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 8:02 pm

ecureilx wrote:
not trying to have the last word, but they way you started off accusing Singapore of being idiots, and then on to say govt servants work on KPI and on and on and now you come off saying that the nurse gave you mouth wash and wrecked your hand ..

Do us a favour - while you may not benefitting, do the rest a favor- write to SMC ..atleast those of us who have to live in this hell-hole may benefit ..

And probably you live in a country that has the best of the best, and you have never been to other countries, so much so, I only feel anger in your postings .. there is nothing called a perfect system, but your painting everything from ICA/MOM to the medical system as screwed beggers belief ..

No worries .. I am gonna go look for my Glenfiddich now .. and hope I don't have to go to hospitals here ..

Hey, hang on - a coupe of years ago, I got operated at CGH and I don't remember a nurse feeding me mouthwash and operating on me ?? :cry: :cry:

PS: nothing of your posting makes any sense anymore .. other than that you are a cricket fan ..


This aint going anywhere productive now. Singapore aint a hell hole and I havent meant to call everyone idiots, yet you in the face of facts you still defend it and call me a liar. You want to here the full medical story well here it is. I went in for hip surgery and the doctor did a good job as SGH. The day after i woke up and was shoved with a menu in the face and I was extremely nauseous and didnt feel like eating. The nurse said I had to choose so I just pointed at a few things. The next nurse came in and I hadnt drunk any water for 48 before the operation so i was thirsty and she said drink this. I drank it and spat it what was left out because it was mouthwash. Obviously her english was limited. Then the nurse asked about my my pain I said I felt something serious on my buttocks and she didnt been look just moved on. Then the doctor came and he didnt look either and he didnt prescribe anti biotics which from talking to other doctors here and in Australia is criminal considering the operation I went for. The infection lasted 3 months and was extremely painful and was avoidable if he had of done his job properly. Then I tried to get out this place seeing it was like faulty towers of hospital treatment. I booked myself out and asked the nurse to remove the tubes from my arm. She just ripped it out and didnt even have a cloth handy and blood went everywhere (i was in the wheel chair at the time). So that didnt give me much confidence in the system here for my families impending child birth. Then my neighbour had a $52k bill for child birth which I know is unusual but still it happened. I looked into various insurance and it was limited seeing its a user pay system here because of low tax. So thats a consideration. That coupled with treating my wife like a criminal has upset me. My country isnt perfect either but I dont know people back home who would defend a specific bureaucracy decision even if it seemed unfair out of patriotic duty. In the end I think I understand why you are like you are more than you do. Your ingrained since birth by a one party elite so you tow the line at every opportunity. Thats why I was hired for my job here to make decisions and to problem solve the growth of a new business. In the end im proud of my achievement of training the first local at my level in the business and I feel ive been mistreated on a number of levels. The main issue for me excluding all the crap I have had to endure is the denial of my wife to stay 12 extra days. Its just an idiotic decision based on form not substance and like most people I just want ot be around my family. She was my spouse on my ep and when on her own ep but not after she finished. :roll:

munna94
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed, 09 Mar 2011

@ecureilx

Postby munna94 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 9:38 pm

Can you please get out of this topic?? No one really expects your reply on this issue. You seem to be absolutely here to screw up the topic and nothing else. If I were you, I would suggest only if I knew the answer, else I will wait for someone to answer and I ridiculously don't get into some unknown issue wasting everyone else' time.


I know I am not the right person to ask you to get out. But I suppose this expat forum is purely meant to help people and not to argue with people like you.

Help him if you can, else just get out.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35441
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 9:46 pm

Nath21 wrote:In the end I think I understand why you are like you are more than you do. Your ingrained since birth by a one party elite so you tow the line at every opportunity.


I think you'll find that ecureilx is a long-term PR just like I am (although not quite a many years, but around two decades I'm sure).

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 9:55 pm

Nath21, Sorry to hear about that mate. I hope everything works out fine and the umpire is a Simon Taufel and not a Darrell Hair ;)

I agree, that the rule of not being able to have a DP issued with just 3 months remaining on the EP is crazy. Not sure what the reasoning is behind it. I mean its not like you were issued an EP for just couple of months from the beginning. In any case, they should have made an exception in your case, atleast after an appeal.

I always thought the immigration system is the most efficient in the world considering the fact that my EP was approved in 1 day flat and my wife was allowed to work here on a LOC while on DP seamlessly. I have absolutely no reason to complain whatsoever and I dont think I will have it so easy in any other country.

I guess its just a case of really really bad luck in your case, mate. I can understand how you would feel with wife pregnant and stuff and its understable that you would rant it out here.

Ecureilx, you shouldn't get offended so easily mate. Singapore definitely has many things going right for it. It has been rated as the 2nd best city to live in Asia, not for no reason. But then you should accept that nothing in this world is perfect and the medical space in Singapore is certainly far from being perfect. I have heard many horror stories as well. I feel in technology terms Singapore has some of the best medical facilities in the world. But when it comes to the doctors themselves I would say their experience and knowledge is woefully inadequate in many cases.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3474
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Re: HI

Postby Mad Scientist » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 3:58 am

ecureilx wrote:As for MS : from what I know, I don't remember anybody being stopped at the point of departure for not paying taxes, though the system can finally find you out, depending upon how much is the tax assesment ..


@Ecureilx ; this is the linked you SHOULD read
http://www.iras.gov.sg/irasHome/page.aspx?id=1192

Below is some of the notes taken out from IRAS

Yes, your employer is required to seek clearance before you leave Singapore. Your employer should complete the Form IR21 (Notification of a Non-Citizen Employee's Cessation of Employment or Departure From Singapore) by providing details of your income (including benefits-in-kind such as accommodation) from your employment in Singapore.


I am not here to quarrel nor having a debate on who is right or wrong or for whatever reasons. I used to work for the ministries in the 70s, even back then the system are already linked. Not as stream line and complicated as before.
Just take a look at PCC at Cantonment or Mindef at Bukit Timah, billions are spent on information technology alone. From Biometric, Iris, Bar Code you name it is all here.
Just think for a second why did Ryan Goh or Francis Seow or Joshua and the likes got hammered big time by the Gahmen.? How did they managed to collect so much informations on them that can warrants them as "undesirable immigrant or political dissidents"
To my knowledge now there are about 12 agencies linked in Singapore, whether you will be flag or not at border control , this I cannot guarrantee but the informations are there to follow and why take the risk and play Russian Roullette.
Anyway Nath21 is not new to this forum nor a troll, he does contributes informations for other forumers including myself which helps me too. On top of that he is an accredited CPA which speaks something about his intergrity. I think a little a bit of space should be given to him.
It is possible for a bill of $52K on pregnancy if complications arises both for mother and child which requires specialist care and top of that not getting subsidies can really put someone out of pocket just by giving birth here..
I had knee recontruction before and I knew exactly how it feels like going under the knife and not getting the proper treatment required.
While I can understand where you are coming from but not in Nath21 case as I believe he has a legit case here where we should take note for future references. Nath 21 is under tremendoues pressure to settle all his things before leaving Singapore and top of that with the wifey pregnant, you cannot get worse than that.
We are here in this forum to help each other for the betterment of our lives. I do at times take pot shot at trolls or those one line poster and I am guilty of that but you can smell a troll a mile away. So let's help him if we can so that he leaves with fond memories rather than a bad taste in his mouth.
Peace to all.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35441
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 6:51 am

^^^^

+1

[-o<

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9811
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: HI

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 30 Mar 2011 11:13 am

Mad Scientist wrote:We are here in this forum to help each other for the betterment of our lives. I do at times take pot shot at trolls or those one line poster and I am guilty of that but you can smell a troll a mile away. So let's help him if we can so that he leaves with fond memories rather than a bad taste in his mouth.
Peace to all.


Peace to all: no, including Munna: i am not here to stir the pot or berate anybody. I was just a bit miffed at somebody who is questioning my place of residence for the past 10 years plus, and not willing to accept that pressure makes people mad and accusing the system is not going to win favours.

MS: well, me too have been in similar soup, and tell me, while not the same as Nath21, how was it for me, when my employer folded, and being a BVi company, they whole board disappeared, and the HR was franctically trying to get everybody to cancel the passes so they can get rid of us ?? And to top it off, even my maid was threatening to sue me, as, according to her, as per MOM law, I had not served out the 1 month notice TO HER ... and it didn't help that our employer had not paid us for the past 2 months + the liquidators who moved in refused to release us saying they had to dispose the company as an 'ongoing concern'. I am talking of the days where you must cancel your current EP before filiing an application for a new EP - unlike now, where you have PEP, and EP holders can apply for a new EP without cancelling the old EP ..

Well, anyway, sorry if my postings offended anybody.

Cheers, and have a wonderful

PS: Munna94: how exactly did I ruffle your feathers ?? Oh well, never mind ..

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Sat, 28 May 2011 10:08 pm

Hello Guys,

We are not in the exact situation as the OP of this thread but there are some similarities.

My wife has just quit her job as she is pregnant and this calendar year she has worked for > 60 and < 182 days and she was working on an LoC and her DP is still valid and will remain valid for another year from now, atleast. She will be travelling to India on Jun 30th and deliver the baby there and will remain in India for the rest of the calendar year so that makes her stay in SG for the calendar year < 183 days.

I have the following 2 questions:
1)Will her employer report to IRAS about her quitting the job and will she need a IRAS tax clearance, before going to India on Jun 30th? Her LoC has been cancelled, however her DP is still valid.

2)Will she be treated as a tax resident or not for this calendar year? Her salary for this calendar year is <20k.

Thanks in advance,
Revhappy.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35441
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 28 May 2011 10:57 pm

Rev,

When did your wife start working? Once she passes 183 days here, she is treated as a resident from that point on. If she work in 2010 and worked for more than 183 days in 2010, she's clear. Doesn't matter if she only worked 20 days in 2011, she will be treated as a resident for tax purposes once the initial period has been passed.

If she earned more than 20K in 2010, she will be required to file the IR-21 regardless of how much she earns in 2011, but if her tax liability for 2010 has been cleared and she earned less than 20K in 2011 before she left, no worries.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest