Singapore Expats Forum

Manila a Worrying Prospect

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Manila a Worrying Prospect

Postby Plavt » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 7:12 am

Doesn't have to be just Manila of course but what is worrying is just how many Filipinos are blissfully unaware of this friends included;

http://english.aljazeera.net/video/asia-pacific/2011/03/201131952026420281.html

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 8:32 am

Oh yeah....THAT.

Hmmm....poorly executed urban planning, shoddy infrastructure, unenforced building codes, red tape, corruption, squatting, urban sprawl, and no foresight...

Yup, we're f***ed.

dazzlebabe
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 285
Joined: Wed, 15 Dec 2004
Location: Kuala Lumpur!

Postby dazzlebabe » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:17 am

Gets you thinking doesn't it.

What would you do if you knew you were working in a high rise building, with family in schools, at home, working on the roads and this will hit anytime?

It's easy to say to go to work, prepare for the worse and hug everyone (possibly last) goodbye before trotting off. I would probably not leave my house and family (and pets included!).
Just me

DazzleBabe

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34260
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 9:43 am

They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

I'm gonna buy up a lot of desert in the High country as that's gonna be the new waterfront in California when the rest slides under the surf. :o

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9258
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 1:56 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

I'm gonna buy up a lot of desert in the High country as that's gonna be the new waterfront in California when the rest slides under the surf. :o


Isnt' Manila world's fifth largest city or something ?

While the city attracts hordes - a-la Delhi/Mumbai or other such cities, the infrastructure - yes.

A quick indicator would be how difficult it is for the fire department to reach fires .. and how often they are stuck between building unable to maneuver heavy rescue equipment ..

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 3:41 pm

ecureilx wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:They've been doing that since 1909 in San Francisco and the rest of California as well.

I'm gonna buy up a lot of desert in the High country as that's gonna be the new waterfront in California when the rest slides under the surf. :o


Isnt' Manila world's fifth largest city or something ?

While the city attracts hordes - a-la Delhi/Mumbai or other such cities, the infrastructure - yes.

A quick indicator would be how difficult it is for the fire department to reach fires .. and how often they are stuck between building unable to maneuver heavy rescue equipment ..


March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace). We even have games wherein we try to get the most number of people in the way of the firefighters doing their jobs. The first team to connect a hose to a working fire hydrant wins.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34260
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 3:54 pm

The key word there was "working" fire hydrant. :cool:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9258
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 5:28 pm

nakatago wrote:March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace).


:D :D I remember in Philippines, when there was an anti narcotics procession, my friend's father proudly said "it is drug addicts celebration day" or something to that effect ..

Some people do have some sense of humour .. ;)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 7:12 pm

ecureilx wrote:
nakatago wrote:March is fire prevention month and we commemorate it by having buildings on fire, wherein fire trucks--if they're operational--have a parade to the fire site (they drive slow enough so that everyone can follow the pace).


:D :D I remember in Philippines, when there was an anti narcotics procession, my friend's father proudly said "it is drug addicts celebration day" or something to that effect ..

Some people do have some sense of humour .. ;)


You should go to a Filipino wake...of which there would be a lot when that earthquake happens.

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10408
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 8:34 pm

I've been in Manila the past week. The local newspaper printed an article about a 5.3 quake on Monday at 6:30... never felt a thing... then again, I was in a Manila taxi... a unique experience.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:14 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:I've been in Manila the past week. The local newspaper printed an article about a 5.3 quake on Monday at 6:30... never felt a thing... then again, I was in a Manila taxi... a unique experience.


According to PHILVOLCS, there was a 5.7 in Mindoro at 6.37 pm and a 4.7 at 9:29 pm in Camarines Sur which are both significant distances from Manila. You wouldn't feel either while in transit.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:22 pm

to quote the National Disaster Coordinating Council..we have everything. A smorgasboard of natural disasters. landslide, volcano eruptions, typhoons, earthquake, fires, etc.

the community where i came from actually experience fires alot because of the squatters and shanties built together. so they dont rely on the firefighters to reach in time. The neighbors just get the pails and buckets and put out the fire with whatever they can get. one time the fire was behind our house and good thing we had a firewall and the neighbors were able to put out the fire in time. BUT Just in case, we have a ready bag of stuff and important documents which we will take out if ever there is a fire.

were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 5:35 pm

morenangpinay wrote:were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.


emigrate.

</sarcasm>

Somebody should find a way of packaging "Disaster Tourism"---the ultimate thrill ride and adventure. That oughta pump more money into the economy. Works for Iceland and Hawaii.

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 6:02 pm

nakatago wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:were aware of the faultlines and everything but what can you do.


emigrate.

</sarcasm>

Somebody should find a way of packaging "Disaster Tourism"---the ultimate thrill ride and adventure. That oughta pump more money into the economy. Works for Iceland and Hawaii.


wait lemme message our beloved president on facebook..."Survivor Philippines: where every second counts"


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests