Singapore Expats

How to retain my P.R. status if i am working overseas?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
aloyscious
Regular
Regular

How to retain my P.R. status if i am working overseas?

Post by aloyscious » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 9:32 pm

Hey people...

Anyone knows if i am working overseas, how do i renew my PR status ? Do i still have to contribute monthly just to keep my PR status ? For eg is my future company is in overseas?

OR will my PR status be lifted and taken away?

Please help!!! Thank u!!! :???

singaporeflyer
Answers: 1

Re: How to retain my P.R. status if i am working overseas?

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 9:40 pm

aloyscious wrote:Hey people...

Anyone knows if i am working overseas, how do i renew my PR status ? Do i still have to contribute monthly just to keep my PR status ? For eg is my future company is in overseas?

OR will my PR status be lifted and taken away?

Please help!!! Thank u!!! :???
Are you working for a Singapore based company abroad?

aloyscious
Regular
Regular

Post by aloyscious » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 9:43 pm

no ..the company is not a local company...

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 9:54 pm

aloyscious wrote:no ..the company is not a local company...
unless you come and work in singapore, your chances are less to retain your pr

aloyscious
Regular
Regular

Post by aloyscious » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:04 pm

so how do i retain my PR? What if i make contributions to my CPF? will it help?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:38 pm

If you cannot produce 3 years tax assessments from IRAS at the time your REP has to be renewed, you can kiss your PR goodby. PERMANENT RESIDENCE means just that. Residence in Singapore. You are not, therefore you shouldn't have PR. Additionally, if you are out of the country the last two years, even though you could theoretically produce 3 years Tax Assessments, your odds of successfully renewing the REP are almost impossible. The only way that would be possible is if you were going full time to a University for an MBA or such and started from Singapore not while you were already overseas on a job.

You cannot contribute to CPF if you don't work here and even if you could you don't have the necessary tax assessments from IRAS to support the claim.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:38 pm

aloyscious wrote:so how do i retain my PR? What if i make contributions to my CPF? will it help?
when you are going to work abroad and not live in sg, why do u need to retain the PR? PR is for those who want to stay and live long term in sg.

aloyscious
Regular
Regular

Post by aloyscious » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:03 am

cuz i love singapore and wanna settle down wth someone here...:)

singaporeflyer

Post by singaporeflyer » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 12:06 am

aloyscious wrote:cuz i love singapore and wanna settle down wth someone here...:)
Then come back and work and live here :)

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Post by Mad Scientist » Fri, 25 Mar 2011 5:44 am

@aloycious, there is no way to retain your REP /PR Status unless you pay tax here for the last three years of your five years REP and contributing to your CPF . Unless you have been on a company assignment overseas and your local company has stated this to that effect to ICA then only then your REP will be renewed. You still has to file in your tax return in SG too while you are away.
My wife REP just got revoke even though I am a local . She had the PR for more than 15 years but we have not been living here for the past five years. No income tax to file nor any income derive here hence no renewal.
We understand that it will come this. So if you think of trying to circumvent this law, think again.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

mattplowman

What are my chances of renewing REP?

Post by mattplowman » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 5:19 am

I am wanting to get some feedback in relation to my chances of renewing my REP

My REP expires in Jan 2012
I left Singapore in Dec 2007 due to family ill health.
I did not withdraw my CPF as I always intended to return to Singapore
I owned a proprty in Singapore until late 2009
My 2010 tax return was processed as a PR and at PR tax rates due to the rental income etc on my property even though I had been out of the country for an extended period of time.

I will be able to produce tax documents up until 2009-2010 but not for 2010 - 2011 as IK had no source of income in Singapore

I was intending on using the e-REP sytem to renew while I was still offshore - is this likely to get rejected?

My other option is to return to Singapore in the next few months and be working and paying tax in Singapore at the time of my REP expiry - will this help or could my REP still be rejected evenb though I woulkd be living and working in Singapore?

Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Answers: 4

Re: What are my chances of renewing REP?

Post by Mad Scientist » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 6:49 am

mattplowman wrote:I am wanting to get some feedback in relation to my chances of renewing my REP

My REP expires in Jan 2012
I left Singapore in Dec 2007 due to family ill health.
I did not withdraw my CPF as I always intended to return to Singapore
I owned a proprty in Singapore until late 2009
My 2010 tax return was processed as a PR and at PR tax rates due to the rental income etc on my property even though I had been out of the country for an extended period of time.

I will be able to produce tax documents up until 2009-2010 but not for 2010 - 2011 as IK had no source of income in Singapore

I was intending on using the e-REP sytem to renew while I was still offshore - is this likely to get rejected?

My other option is to return to Singapore in the next few months and be working and paying tax in Singapore at the time of my REP expiry - will this help or could my REP still be rejected evenb though I woulkd be living and working in Singapore?
If you have a valid REP and did what is needed according to the guideline , I think you renewal will not be an issue. Though you need to proof on your 2010 Income Tax return that will stick out like a sore thumb
I would be incline to make it watertight by coming sooner than latter and have all those docs reason of you being out of the country and do it here rather than via online. If my memory serve me right you can get it renewed a few months earlier prior to your renewal date.
Have a read on this

http://www.ica.gov.sg/page.aspx?pageid=152
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 8:38 am

I personally think you will have big problems renewing you REP. Take a look at the documents you need to produce

•A letter (issued not more than one month ago) from the employer addressed to the Controller of Immigration, stating the date of employment, position held and monthly salary
•Statement from the CPF Board showing the CPF Contribution History for the last 12 months
•Income Tax Notice of Assessment for the last 3 years.

As far as I can make out, you aren't able to provide the above documentation. Using the e-REP system will just reject you straight away as it's linked to IRAS and CPF board.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 14 Apr 2011 9:25 am

And. If they do give you one, it will probably be only for 1 year. Failing to show necessary employment IN Singapore will result in the following REP being rejected and of course, if you are out of the country, you can then say goodbye to your PR. Of course, if you are in the country, then as long as you don't go to Batam or JB, you could conceivably stay here until the cows come home. But, that is liable to change as well, as they are getting pretty tired of the PR abusers.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Makan_explorer

Post by Makan_explorer » Thu, 21 Apr 2011 1:20 pm

What happens when a PR retires from work in Singapore? Does that mean that the REP will be automatically rejected because he/she is not employed?