Singapore Expats Forum

PEP degree requirements

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Lashay

PEP degree requirements

Postby Lashay » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 6:30 pm

I am currently looking to up sticks from the UK and move to Singapore.

Obviously to do this I need to sort out a visa and have been looking to go down the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) route, for which I should qualify under the previous salary eligibility requirement

As I don’t have a local contact in sg been calling around a few of the processing agents to kick start the process and seem to be running into a snag which I would like clarify

As I understand it you only need to meet any one of the criteria outlined on the MoM site to be eligible (as said before I meet the first requirement) but all the processing agents I have spoken to say you must also have a degree (regardless of my 15 odd years relevant experience) to have any chance at success

Does anyone know if this is true?

And if it is not, does anyone know any processing agent that knows this fact as obviously don’t want to use an agent that does not know the rules themselves

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Re: PEP degree requirements

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 6:45 pm

Lashay wrote:I am currently looking to up sticks from the UK and move to Singapore.

Obviously to do this I need to sort out a visa and have been looking to go down the Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) route, for which I should qualify under the previous salary eligibility requirement

As I don’t have a local contact in sg been calling around a few of the processing agents to kick start the process and seem to be running into a snag which I would like clarify

As I understand it you only need to meet any one of the criteria outlined on the MoM site to be eligible (as said before I meet the first requirement) but all the processing agents I have spoken to say you must also have a degree (regardless of my 15 odd years relevant experience) to have any chance at success

Does anyone know if this is true?

And if it is not, does anyone know any processing agent that knows this fact as obviously don’t want to use an agent that does not know the rules themselves

I assume you would have been earning more than 7000 sgd in your country currency before. So, even though you dont have a degree, you still have a slight chance.. Just my 2 cents... Just try applying through a local sponsor and the cost for application is not very high (manual application) since you are not in sg.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:11 pm

No, you do not need a degree to qualify for a PEP if trying to come in on the back of qualifying for a P1 visa, which is income dependent only. While a degree is desirable, it is only a requirement for the Q and P2 holders who want to get a PEP. In addition, they must be here a qualifying number of years as well. But most P1 holders automatically get a letter inviting them to apply for a PEP, but a large percentage of these do not have degrees, as they have volumes of experience and are earning above the P1 threshold.

Having said that, beware that if you are just over the 7K income limit you might get rejected as the P1 qualification salary is/will be 8K and while nothing specific has been said, you can bet the PEP will also be put up to 8K as well.

Lashay

Postby Lashay » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:33 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, you do not need a degree to qualify for a PEP if trying to come in on the back of qualifying for a P1 visa, which is income dependent only.

So basically as i thought and all the processing agents i have spoken to are wrong. So much for their expertise. :roll:

So anyone know of any good agents who do actually know their own business?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Having said that, beware that if you are just over the 7K income limit you might get rejected as the P1 qualification salary is/will be 8K and while nothing specific has been said, you can bet the PEP will also be put up to 8K as well.

Might as well bring this up here while at it, do you know if this previous salary/income limit is gross or net? Just qualify after tax's, well inside before, so your revision to 8k makes me nervous as would be under that if they only look at the net income

Logic says they look at gross but would like to be sure

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:36 pm

Lashay wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:No, you do not need a degree to qualify for a PEP if trying to come in on the back of qualifying for a P1 visa, which is income dependent only.

So basically as i thought and all the processing agents i have spoken to are wrong. So much for their expertise. :roll:

So anyone know of any good agents who do actually know their own business?

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Having said that, beware that if you are just over the 7K income limit you might get rejected as the P1 qualification salary is/will be 8K and while nothing specific has been said, you can bet the PEP will also be put up to 8K as well.

Might as well bring this up here while at it, do you know if this previous salary/income limit is gross or net? Just qualify after tax's, well inside before, so your revision to 8k makes me nervous as would be under that if they only look at the net income

Logic says they look at gross but would like to be sure

7k is the basic salary before tax.

Also if i am not wrong the 8k rule would come into effect by july 1 2011?

If you are ok you can try to apply through any of your local friends/contacts in sg, by asking them to submit the pep application for you. it is simple and economical that way

Lashay

Postby Lashay » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:47 pm

Wish that was option but don't have any contacts in SG anymore, thus having to deal with the processing agents

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:55 pm

Lashay wrote:Wish that was option but don't have any contacts in SG anymore, thus having to deal with the processing agents

Mate, you don't have to and it is not recommended to deal with a processing agent. As you have discovered - most of them are useless. I can also speak from experience with some of them here.

There is a big difference with using an agency to complete the form for you and having a local contact. The former will cost you around $500-1000 dollars to fill in the forms, the latter might cost you a few beers when you arrive here!!

If you ask nicely enough, someone may offer to act as a local point of contact for you. They need to be a SG Citizen or permanent resident.