Singapore Expats Forum

Visa Inquiry/Help

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
psgallag

Visa Inquiry/Help

Postby psgallag » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:07 pm

I am looking to move to singapore to work, but I am unsure of what visa I can qualify for, so I wanted to reach out.

My situation is that I am an 27 year America but I am currently studying an MBA in Perth from the University of Western Australia under a student visa as I am a full-time student who will be finishing my MBA in November 2011.

I currently have 3 years of working experience before my mba, but since I have been a full-time student, I have generated hardly any income since August 2010.

I would like to work in the consumer goods/marketing industries in singapore, but maybe someone can tell me if I do qualify for any visas or even how to go about the process so I can work in Singapore once my mba is completed at the end of November 2011

Patrick

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:09 pm

The first thing you have to do is find a employer who's keen to hire you. They are the one's who have to apply for the employment pass for you. They are your sponsor.

You can try to apply for an EPEC (Employment Pass Elgibility Certificate) which basically pre-vets your qualifications (they would have to be listed on the MOM site (MOM.gov.sg) under Passes/EPEC. If you qualify for that, then ICA may issue you a LTVP (Long Term Visit Pass) for UP TO one year. (Not guaranteed, Have seen them not grant any LTVP or 3 or 6 months as well as 12 months. This gives you some time to try to find a job, provided which you have the finances to see yourself through the process which could take some time.

In Singapore you have to find the job before getting the EP. However, getting the EP is a two part process. First you have to qualify and then the employer also has to qualify or justify why they need to hire a foreigner if there are similarly qualified locals that can do the job. Taint easy sometimes.