Singapore Expats

Full time, live out maids

Discuss everything about domestic helper and babysitter issues here
movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Full time, live out maids

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:19 pm

I've seen a bunch of posts on here about looking for p-t helpers. But has anyone had any luck hiring someone full-time, but live out? I'm a bit fed up with a live in situation, but would like to have someone come in every day if possible, 12-8 pm, and then on Saturday, as both my husband and I work f/t. Just wondering, didn't seem like too many people had much success with this route.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 2:46 pm

It's possible, but it will cost you around $2300/mo ($15/hour)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 3:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:It's possible, but it will cost you around $2300/mo ($15/hour)
SMS : is that you doing the part time work ?? :D :D

Well, movingtospore: Part time workers are against the law, when it comes to maid, as maids on WP are not allowed to part time.

The real part time maids are locals or employed by companies that provide such service, and yes, as SMS said, they don't come cheap

It is ILLEGAL TO EMPLOY MAIDS ON WP - on part time basis, though a lot do it, and when caught, the offending maid gets sent back, the offending part-time-employer gets a warning ..

There was a season when the MOM people used to stake out condos, to catch part time maids turning up on weekends .. and the cold storage notice boards used to be their targets to track illegal maids ..

Then again, I also came across maids here, illegally employed (through paying somebody for a WP) and been here for more than 10 years plus ..

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:42 pm

I'd rather hire one legit, that's for sure. $2000+ mo is a lot tho! But then again, we spend about $1000/mo now on salary + that stupid levy, have a given up a room we could really use, paid extra for insurance, health care costs, courses...not to mention the never ending requests for extra time off, money in advance, boyfriend issues, on and on.

At the end of the day maybe it isn't really that much more if you find someone good. And fewer headaches.

ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter

Post by ev-disinfection » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:04 pm

movingtospore wrote:I'd rather hire one legit, that's for sure. $2000+ mo is a lot tho! But then again, we spend about $1000/mo now on salary + that stupid levy, have a given up a room we could really use, paid extra for insurance, health care costs, courses...not to mention the never ending requests for extra time off, money in advance, boyfriend issues, on and on.

At the end of the day maybe it isn't really that much more if you find someone good. And fewer headaches.
Will 4 days a week do it for you, I have a friend who is a SG PR (Indonesian) who would clean, wash, iron on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
"Edited"
Last edited by ev-disinfection on Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:02 pm

I hope she's the only one. "PM me" is a no-no here as you well know. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 10:25 am

movingtospore wrote:I'd rather hire one legit, that's for sure. $2000+ mo is a lot tho! But then again, we spend about $1000/mo now on salary + that stupid levy, have a given up a room we could really use, paid extra for insurance, health care costs, courses...not to mention the never ending requests for extra time off, money in advance, boyfriend issues, on and on.

me thinks you need to replace the maid, not replace your life .. and all your signs are normal - advance, extra time off ..

boyfriend issues ? Those smart employers who have maids with such issues, quitly wait for the agency fee to be cleared up, and max - 6 months, they send the maid packing home .. cruel it may be - but .. i don't remember working for a boss who wanted to get involved in my personal problems .. well, end of the day, if you treat the maid as your staff, would you want to mess with your staff's personal problem ??

PS: was she a transfer maid ?? I guess so ..

bibibaba

Live out cleaner

Post by bibibaba » Mon, 23 May 2011 1:18 pm

Will 4 days a week do it for you, I have a friend who is a SG PR (Indonesian) who would clean, wash, iron on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays.
"Edited"[/quote]

Hi May I have the contact number of this lady? or can you sms me at 97560102?

TROLFE

looking for a maid/cleaner /babysitter

Post by TROLFE » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:07 pm

hello all, anyone know of a cleaner/maid available a few days a week or a few hours a week ?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:28 pm

You can find legal ones (the kind that won't get you thrown out of the country as well when the illegal one is caught) in the centre column of my links page below.

TROLFE

Post by TROLFE » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:51 pm

thanks for such a swift reply

marco2002

Post by marco2002 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 4:07 pm

Hi

We are an expat family looking for a nanny, live out and are new to hiring nanny, so could use some advice.

So we are looking for a nanny, who is willing to do both babysitting and light housework. 4-6 hours a day/5 days per week. Live out, meaning have own accommodation.

After reading online, it seems that only Singaporean/PR can do that. What about nannies employed by agencies, but they arrange this by themselves (ie pay their own levy etc) is this an option? We would like just one nanny, and not many different nannies.

So any info or advice on the following questions would be much appreciated:
- Are there nannies that can do (legally) live out?
- If so, how do they manage, names of agencies?
- What would be price by per month?
- Can you recommend any nanny or agency?

Thanks,
Marco

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 4:29 pm

See my post above. :-|

marco2002

Post by marco2002 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 5:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:See my post above. :-|
Hi Sms,

Yes, i read your posting. However it did not answer my question, hence i posted my question here. Could you be bit more specific:
- Are there nannies that can do (legally) live out?

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 05 Mar 2012 6:41 pm

marco2002 wrote: - Are there nannies that can do (legally) live out?
yes

how do they manage what?

Assume at least SGD12 per hour. Also you may have problems finding someone for such short slot every day. IMO there are hardly any quality, English speaking nannies around. Most of the nannies available are older Chinese ladies that prefer to do the nanny/baby sitting stuff at their own place.

Yes, but she is taken :) I have no agency to recommend.