Singapore Expats

Feasibility of getting a job with my credentials

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
n383us

Feasibility of getting a job with my credentials

Post by n383us » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 5:08 am

Hello everyone.

I know there have been a significant number of posts about graduates trying to get jobs in Singapore, and for the most part what I understand it is a bit difficult. I do believe my situation differs a bit from the others since I have a very specialized degree.

I am an American citizen who attends the University of South Carolina with a major in Global Supply Chain and Operations Management (GSCOM). While getting this degree, I have also obtained my Six Sigma Green Belt certification and I am working on my APICS certification. I also have completed multiple projects/internships with large companies in the US, such as Boeing. I unfortunately do not speak Mandarin due to the fact that I spent most of my time with my major, but I am planning to start learning soon. (I am ready for the years of work this would take.)

What do you think my chances are of landing a job in Singapore, and if I do have a favorable chance, what would you estimate an average starting salary would be?

It has been my dream ever since I can remember to move and work in Asia, but I don't wan't to reklessly move over there if there is little chance of me getting a sustainable job.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:57 am

In my opinion, experience counts more than a degree - and there are plenty of people around with years working in global supply chain and/or operations management. And green belts are so inflationary that I took mine out of the CV, since the title is worthless without actively practicing it.
Ask yourself: What do I offer a potential employer that a local (who's cheaper and incurs less paperwork) doesn't?
I can't see much, but I don't know you well.

Probably your best chances are with an American company that just starts operations somewhere in Asia and wants to send somebody there to set it up. But most of those won't send fresh graduates.