Singapore Expats

Advice required on salary

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
ansh0507

Advice required on salary

Post by ansh0507 » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 6:13 pm

Hi,

I am currently working in India and have been offered a salary of 5500 singapore dollors by an indian firm located in singapore.They want me to work for their client.I would be coming with my wife and 1 yr old son.I would like to know the expenses in singapore.

I calculated the expenses as below:

Accomodation (2 Bed room,furnished) = 2000
Food expences = 1000
Misc = 500
Tax @ 8% = 424(The HR tols me that tax wld be around 8%)

Will I get any benefit in terms of tax if I am staying with family.

Apart from this will there be any other expence.

I have an exp of 6 yrs and 9 months on Mainframe development so is 5300 as per the market standards or there's some scope for negotiation

Thanks,
Ansh

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter

Post by JayCee » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 10:10 am

There are hundreds of threads here about costs of living, some quite recent, did you actually try reading any of them?

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 1:28 pm

Your calculation for accomodation is correct. Food I dont think you will spend that much. You can do more more research in some of the other threads.

Tax is definitely not 8%. Its more like 4-5%. There are tax slabs just like India, only difference is Singapore the tax computation is much much much much easier :lol:

Check out this website www.iras.gov.sg and do some research. You are gonna love it when you compare it with its Indian counterpart :)

ansh0507

Post by ansh0507 » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 10:45 am

Thanks for the info!

Can you also pls let me know whether the salary 5500 is as per the market standards for 6 yrs 9 months exp on mainframes.
As per my calculations I would be able to save around 2000.

Strong Eagle
Answers: 9

Post by Strong Eagle » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 11:40 am

ansh0507 wrote:Thanks for the info!

Can you also pls let me know whether the salary 5500 is as per the market standards for 6 yrs 9 months exp on mainframes.
I would call it somewhat low by about $500 per month, and since your are coming from India there is probably not much you can do about it.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:05 pm

ansh0507 wrote:Thanks for the info!

Market standards vary depending about the industry/company. For eg, Investment Banks on their direct payrolls can easily pay 7-8k for a senior developer. But 5.5k is like on the lower end of the band I would say.

But as you mentioned its an Indian vendor's payroll and working for a client, I guess you dont have much room for negotiation. Indian companies are cheapos, what can I say. They pay peanuts and they get monkeys. They make a huge margin and their shareholders are happy. I would rather be a shareholder of Indian IT company than an employee :P

You should be able to save 2K though as your kid wont be going to school anytime soon.