Singapore Expats

LTVP to WP to SPR

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
kyoko21

LTVP to WP to SPR

Post by kyoko21 » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:04 am

I would like to ask for an advice.

Last year i got married to a singaporean. He's a filipino whom was granted citizenship just two years ago. He's 24 at that time and working for about a year and a half cause he just had his NS (He was PR under his father before). I was 25 (filipino too) and a student pass holder and didn't finished my course cause we decided to got married. After that he applied LTSVP for me for a year. I know... It was a mistake to apply just for a year. It really was..

We applied PR for me last Dec & it was rejected just 3 days ago. There was no reason on the letter why it was rejected and no # of months of when we can apply again. The only thing that was written there was i can still stay under my valid LTVP. But my hubby and i decided to write an appeal letter. We will drop it on wed. Just in case that they will change there mind... Just a thought...

Anyway, I'd been staying here at home since then doing nothing and i am really bored to death. Since LTVP holders weren't allowed to work. Now, that our PR application was rejected i can't just sit here again waiting to apply PR. I saw in MOM website that LTVP holders can apply for work under WP and wouldn't charge levy for singaporean spouse. Should i go for it?

We didn't think about of applying WP before because we think that it might affect my PR application if i was a WP holder before applying. Was that true? I know that WP were not allowed to marry a singaporean but i am already married to a singaporean. Will that still count as reason as to not my pr application be accepted again if i apply for WP? Will i still pursue working under WP? I only have certificates so i can't go for S pass.

If i don't work under WP, I will apply for an extension/renewal of my LTVP and apply PR again after 6 months or after election - just like what i read from other threads.

revhappy
Editor
Editor

Post by revhappy » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:22 am

Why not finish your course now and get a good qualification? After that get yourself an Employment pass and have a satisfying career as well and then apply for PR will boost your chances.

kyoko21

Post by kyoko21 » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:20 pm

I would love to do that if i could but since i got married i wasn't supported anymore by my parents. My hubby and i doesn't have enough savings to pay for a foreign studies here. That's one of the reason i want to become PR is to continue my studies here while working and start our family....

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sure ICA sees it as a marriage of convenience. That's bad news for the short term. Maybe in a couple of years, if you two are still married and have had a child or two (male preferably) they may turn around and give you the PR you need.

As it stands right now, it looks like you bombed out of school and your boyfriend married you so you didn't have to leave. (That might not be the case, but appearances count for a lot when trying to get PR.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

kyoko21

Post by kyoko21 » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 7:04 pm

Now that you mention it from their point of view it may look like that but it's not. Couple of years is really discouraging and having children when my husband is the only one working is quite difficult. I know... i can't complain with my situation right now. I can't leave my husband and both our families are here.

If ICA sees our marriage like that then there won't be any chances for me to get PR? Should i just get WP? Actually my hubby's boss is willing to give me a job and get me WP.

BTW, thanks for the replies.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 7:43 pm

If you are already married, then getting a WP will not pose a problem as permission to marry only has to be gotten from MOM if you were already on a WP and then wanted to get married.

However, having said that, you would be much better off if you could find an employer to hire you on a S pass as a minimum. Additionally, you chances for PR would be better after a year or so if you were on an S pass (which means the odds are, your income would be higher as well).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 9:15 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are already married, then getting a WP will not pose a problem as permission to marry only has to be gotten from MOM if you were already on a WP and then wanted to get married.

However, having said that, you would be much better off if you could find an employer to hire you on a S pass as a minimum. Additionally, you chances for PR would be better after a year or so if you were on an S pass (which means the odds are, your income would be higher as well).
Like SMS said, getting a WP shouldn't be a problem if you can find an employer, S pass even better or you could also consider starting a business with your husband and him applying for a WP for you. You could make an appointment with a works controller and discuss your options that are open to you.

It's not easy to be stuck on a LTVSP and do nothing all day, education is so important that you may wish to look into upgrading your skills. That would at least keep you from getting bored. Set yourself some goals and see if you can reach them.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:27 pm

ksl, you might want to read the whole thread. It's education and the lack of her completing it that caused all the problems in the first place. :-|

kyoko21

Post by kyoko21 » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 1:10 am

ksl wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:If you are already married, then getting a WP will not pose a problem as permission to marry only has to be gotten from MOM if you were already on a WP and then wanted to get married.

Like SMS said, getting a WP shouldn't be a problem if you can find an employer, S pass even better or you could also consider starting a business with your husband and him applying for a WP for you. You could make an appointment with a works controller and discuss your options that are open to you.

It's not easy to be stuck on a LTVSP and do nothing all day, education is so important that you may wish to look into upgrading your skills. That would at least keep you from getting bored. Set yourself some goals and see if you can reach them.
Starting a business would be difficult for us because we don't have that kind of money. I would have chosen to continue my studies if we do. Getting S pass would be better. I just don't know if i fall under S pass criteria.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, you might want to read the whole thread. It's education and the lack of her completing it that caused all the problems in the first place. :-|
Yes, you're right. I can't bring back the past so now we're thinking of ways of how we will survive this crisis. We are now starting our lives as a couple and we want it here in Singapore.

If ever i get WP, is it possible for me to study part time? I was thinking S pass holder can study.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Post by ksl » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 9:44 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ksl, you might want to read the whole thread. It's education and the lack of her completing it that caused all the problems in the first place. :-|
sorry was sleeping :roll: it happens :o Sounds a little rough, to be punished for not finishing the education, still have a chat with MOM controller, they can at least put you straight on what you can do to help solve your problems on a S pass or WP.

kyoko21

Post by kyoko21 » Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:34 pm

Ok we will. Thanks ksl and SMS!