Singapore Expats Forum

not paying phone bills consequences

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

SmartDude
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu, 11 Dec 2008

not paying phone bills consequences

Postby SmartDude » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 1:54 am

guys,
what will be the consequences if an expat leaves singapore without paying phone bills and breaching the phone contract ? Do we need to inform the telco (singtel) that we are leaving SG because work pass wasn't approved? In this case will the telco let you go without paying the due amount and within the contract period ? Even if an expat leaves and never inform the telco, what could happen next when the same expat returns to SG ? Will he be allowed in to SG and have to pay the due amount at that time ?
What could be the penalties later ?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:01 am

You mean aside from causing additional grief for all expats later because of your lack of a conscience? Hopefully, if it's large enough, they will sue you so that if you ever step foot into Singapore again, you will be arrested. But unfortunately, they probably won't do anything except raise the deposits for everybody else against @$$holes that run off without clearing their debts.

Foreign Talent? :x

User avatar
aster
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1593
Joined: Fri, 15 Jan 2010

Postby aster » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 11:25 am

I can't believe people still think along these lines... :roll:

If you owe money, pay up what's due and leave a clean slate behind.

User avatar
Plavt
Director
Director
Posts: 4292
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 4:57 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You mean aside from causing additional grief for all expats later because of your lack of a conscience? Hopefully, if it's large enough, they will sue you so that if you ever step foot into Singapore again, you will be arrested. But unfortunately, they probably won't do anything except raise the deposits for everybody else against @$$holes that run off without clearing their debts.

Foreign Talent? :x


Well said! I haven't said it until now but when I read some on this board and others where there is a signinficant number of expats I often think the Singapore government should have a closer look at some of its foreign talent they might find some is not so talented after all.
:( :x

Ginner-Sg
Member
Member
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed, 13 Oct 2010

Postby Ginner-Sg » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 5:41 pm

Plavt wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:You mean aside from causing additional grief for all expats later because of your lack of a conscience? Hopefully, if it's large enough, they will sue you so that if you ever step foot into Singapore again, you will be arrested. But unfortunately, they probably won't do anything except raise the deposits for everybody else against @$$holes that run off without clearing their debts.

Foreign Talent? :x


Well said! I haven't said it until now but when I read some on this board and others where there is a signinficant number of expats I often think the Singapore government should have a closer look at some of its foreign talent they might find some is not so talented after all.
:( :x


=D> :shock:

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 7:20 pm

aster wrote:I can't believe people still think along these lines... :roll:

If you owe money, pay up what's due and leave a clean slate behind.


heard this from a few 'expats' - probably of late, a lot are biting more than they can chew and when the time to depart comes, leaving a few unpaid bills seem to be norm .. (and then they wonder why foreigners are asked to put up deposit et al .. ) :D

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 8:11 pm

If you leave without paying they will just compound the bill with interest, it doesn't go away, they may even taken legal action through international courts, they have that right, and you have no chance of winning a case in your home land. Hope you realise that, It's really bad news you could even think of it, it is because of people that run off without paying that others get charged more.... :twisted:

User avatar
Strong Eagle
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 11108
Joined: Sat, 10 Jul 2004
Location: Off The Red Dot
Contact:

Postby Strong Eagle » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:40 pm

SmartDude

Why is it that I think your handle seriously misses the mark?

You were previously posting from the IP addresses of a well known MNC... now you are posting from Nepal... wazzup?
Last edited by Strong Eagle on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:21 am

Methinks they figured out he wasn't such a smart dude after all.

SmartDude
Member
Member
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu, 11 Dec 2008

Postby SmartDude » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:14 pm

@ Strong Eagle:
I wonder how can you release the information about my location ? Aren't you abusing your power here by doing so ? Are you allowed to do so by reading at the T&C of this forum rules ? If i want i can easily use the proxy ip to hide my location but i didn't and i won't.
@Strong Eagle, i would appreciate if you do not disclose some private information publicly..
I guess this forum is meant for questions/answers/suggestion, it turns out to be bashing/fighting here... Every big shot of this forum is showing superiority/power to show other members humiliated... I guess this forum is no good for its objective. Anyway thanks all ....

User avatar
intellectualsmuse
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun, 20 Dec 2009

Postby intellectualsmuse » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:29 pm

Strong Eagle wrote:SmartDude

Why is it that I think your handle seriously misses the mark?

You were previously posting from the IP addresses of a well known MNC... now you are posting from Nepal... wazzup?


It basically means that the "deed" is done. :roll:

@ Smartdude: Its not like SE revealed any specifics, so chill. And your assumption that people are out here to "humiliate" you is incorrect. And by asking about the consquences of leaving your bills unpaid, you didn't expect people here to commend you, did you?
Last edited by intellectualsmuse on Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the sheltered will never know.

JayCee
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon, 04 Aug 2008
Location: Not Singapore

Postby JayCee » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 1:29 pm

Telling people that you're in nepal hardly constitutes a gross invasion of privacy, not quite watergate is it?

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9812
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 2:15 pm

JayCee wrote:Telling people that you're in nepal hardly constitutes a gross invasion of privacy, not quite watergate is it?


I would beg to differ - maybe he is the only guy from Nepal who has vanished without settling the bill (or so he thinks :D ) and he forgot that there are more than 20,000 or so nepalis here .. ;)

Cheers

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Re: not paying phone bills consequences

Postby revhappy » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 2:20 pm

SmartDude wrote:guys,
what will be the consequences if an expat leaves singapore without paying phone bills and breaching the phone contract ? Do we need to inform the telco (singtel) that we are leaving SG because work pass wasn't approved? In this case will the telco let you go without paying the due amount and within the contract period ? Even if an expat leaves and never inform the telco, what could happen next when the same expat returns to SG ? Will he be allowed in to SG and have to pay the due amount at that time ?
What could be the penalties later ?


If an "Expat" absconds without paying bills and returns back, he will lose the title of an "Expat" and become a "loan shark runner's" victim :P

User avatar
ksl
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6005
Joined: Mon, 19 Jul 2004
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ksl » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 2:33 pm

ecureilx wrote:
JayCee wrote:Telling people that you're in nepal hardly constitutes a gross invasion of privacy, not quite watergate is it?


I would beg to differ - maybe he is the only guy from Nepal who has vanished without settling the bill (or so he thinks :D ) and he forgot that there are more than 20,000 or so nepalis here .. ;)

Cheers
That isn't going to take long before the word gets around then! Smart dude, you were asking the forum to support your illegal intentions, so they replied accordingly and you know it's true...no one is allowed to give illegal advice on the forum and those that support it, are just as bad wouldn't you say.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests