Singapore Expats Forum

Why people are so stingy?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 17 May 2011 10:10 pm

:tongue: :lol:

Mr Tan
Regular
Regular

re

Postby Mr Tan » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 4:27 pm

i spend my donations in the back alley giving them to poor card board collectors when no one was looking , do i fall under the cat of stingy too ?

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 4:36 pm

2487chica wrote:Haha. Nah, I'm not a busker. Although, I really admire those buskers! I wish I've got half their courage! Amazing people really! :)

Are you a bloke?

sundaymorningstaple

Re: re

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 22 Jun 2011 5:05 pm

Mr Tan wrote:i spend my donations in the back alley giving them to poor card board collectors when no one was looking , do i fall under the cat of stingy too ?

Actually, looking at your posts, I'd just say rather strange.

Michael_A
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael_A » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:05 pm

I'd give her a donation :D

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 1:56 pm

I can't believe I bothered to read to the end of this thread. Oh well, now that I'm here I'll weigh in: I don't give money to buskers unless I find them entertaining. I'm sorry if this seems heartless, but I'm not going to give money to a shitty trumpet player just because he has no legs. If the busker is doing something that makes me stop and watch/listen for a minute, then I will absolutely throw him some folding money. But I won't pay just to assuage my conscience.

In a city that has actual beggars, unlike what I've ever seen here, I rarely give money because I'm fairly certain money doesn't help them much. I have on several occasions stopped to talk/listen to them and bought them food or coffee.

I guess I'm just reiterating previous posters points: a) your complaint is trite and shallow and b) be careful who you call stingy: you can't possibly know how people give when you're not looking at them.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 23 Jun 2011 4:38 pm

Michael_A wrote:I'd give her a donation :D

The worry is Michael, that 'she' might give you one right back.

Have you seen Hangover II yet? :)

Michael_A
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael_A » Fri, 24 Jun 2011 8:09 am

no, not seen it yet...

am particular about what donations i take though :o

JR8 wrote:
Michael_A wrote:I'd give her a donation :D

The worry is Michael, that 'she' might give you one right back.

Have you seen Hangover II yet? :)

Waiting4Skyrim

Postby Waiting4Skyrim » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 12:45 am

poodlek wrote:........I'm sorry if this seems heartless, but I'm not going to give money to a shitty trumpet player just because he has no legs. If the busker is doing something that makes me stop and watch/listen for a minute, then I will absolutely throw him some folding money. But I won't pay just to assuage my conscience

Same here. I have given money to the local SPCA, but none to others...

For buskers..I do part with cash to buskers (which sound good) around train station exits during winter/early spring.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 1:56 am

Waiting4Skyrim wrote:
poodlek wrote:........I'm sorry if this seems heartless, but I'm not going to give money to a shitty trumpet player just because he has no legs. If the busker is doing something that makes me stop and watch/listen for a minute, then I will absolutely throw him some folding money. But I won't pay just to assuage my conscience

For buskers..I do part with cash to buskers (which sound good) around train station exits during winter/early spring.

The season figures in the decision?

Michael_A
Regular
Regular

Postby Michael_A » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 7:40 am

JR8 wrote:
Waiting4Skyrim wrote:

yeah, winter/early spring buskers not as smelly as autumn /summer

:D

Waiting4Skyrim

Postby Waiting4Skyrim » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:18 pm

JR8 wrote:
Waiting4Skyrim wrote:

.. :-s..Thanksgiving, X'mas, New Year.. something to do with time of the year.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Sat, 25 Jun 2011 10:27 pm

Waiting4Skyrim wrote:
JR8 wrote:
Waiting4Skyrim wrote:

.. :-s..Thanksgiving, X'mas, New Year.. something to do with time of the year.

OIC, yes I see the logic in there :)

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 8:29 pm

didn't singaporeans recently donate over $400k (and counting) to the thai girl who had her legs sliced off by the train?

what about all the other foreigners who died or met with tragic accidents in singapore? and local telethons held a few times a year?

i'm sure most of such financial aids are given by locals.

i'll give you an example of what happens to generosity. there's an old man that hangs out where i work. he's a retired general cleaner of chinese origin.

everyday, he carries 2 pails of water from a nearby-but-not-so-near coffee shop restroom to his vegetable patch that he carved out (illegally) of a side walk.

when i first started working there and when i had the opportunity, i usually helped him carry them. after some time, i told him that he can take water from the rear of the ground floor office that i work in. it was much closer to his vegetable patch and therefore less tedious (no streets to cross, etc)

i informed the staff accordingly. i mean, how much can 2 pails of water cost?

so he started taking water every day from the rear of my office. he would bug the staff working at the counter - even when they were busy, asking for the rear door to be unlocked so he can get water.

i've had many complaints from the staff that he was abusing the privilege i gave him - but i chose to ignore them. this was a guy in his 70s and gardening for his own vegetables. many a time i bought food and shared them with him. i also treated him for free.

one day, it was a quiet saturday afternoon and the office was about to close when he came around asking for water. i was out front and saw that the skies were dark as heck and it was impossible that it would not rain... puzzled but nevertheless, i opened the rear door for him as i thought he wanted a bucket or two of water to wash his gardening tools/whatever.

instead, for the first time, i saw that he was taking 8 pails of water - not 2! so instead of going home, i decided to stick around and watch him.

only then did i believe my staff that he was indeed taking multiple pails of water and leaving them out before throwing them down the drain... daily.

after NOT using any of the water he took, he drained them into the gutter and turned the pails upside down just as it began to rain heavily.

he never got water or food or nothing from me ever again. @$$hole.
Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

poodlek
Reporter
Reporter

Postby poodlek » Mon, 27 Jun 2011 9:33 pm

taxico wrote:didn't singaporeans recently donate over $400k (and counting) to the thai girl who had her legs sliced off by the train?

what about all the other foreigners who died or met with tragic accidents in singapore? and local telethons held a few times a year?

i'm sure most of such financial aids are given by locals.

i'll give you an example of what happens to generosity. there's an old man that hangs out where i work. he's a retired general cleaner of chinese origin.

everyday, he carries 2 pails of water from a nearby-but-not-so-near coffee shop restroom to his vegetable patch that he carved out (illegally) of a side walk.

when i first started working there and when i had the opportunity, i usually helped him carry them. after some time, i told him that he can take water from the rear of the ground floor office that i work in. it was much closer to his vegetable patch and therefore less tedious (no streets to cross, etc)

i informed the staff accordingly. i mean, how much can 2 pails of water cost?

so he started taking water every day from the rear of my office. he would bug the staff working at the counter - even when they were busy, asking for the rear door to be unlocked so he can get water.

i've had many complaints from the staff that he was abusing the privilege i gave him - but i chose to ignore them. this was a guy in his 70s and gardening for his own vegetables. many a time i bought food and shared them with him. i also treated him for free.

one day, it was a quiet saturday afternoon and the office was about to close when he came around asking for water. i was out front and saw that the skies were dark as heck and it was impossible that it would not rain... puzzled but nevertheless, i opened the rear door for him as i thought he wanted a bucket or two of water to wash his gardening tools/whatever.

instead, for the first time, i saw that he was taking 8 pails of water - not 2! so instead of going home, i decided to stick around and watch him.

only then did i believe my staff that he was indeed taking multiple pails of water and leaving them out before throwing them down the drain... daily.

after NOT using any of the water he took, he drained them into the gutter and turned the pails upside down just as it began to rain heavily.

he never got water or food or nothing from me ever again. @$$hole.

This is a bizarre story. Why the heck was he taking water from you just to throw it away? I don't get it.