Singapore Expats Forum

Why people are so stingy?

Post here to organise an event, gathering, meetup, party. Search for expats from your country, sports partners or meet new friends here!
2487chica

Why people are so stingy?

Postby 2487chica » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 5:14 pm

Ok, if you're jobless like me, I don't expect you to be on the generous side. But come on, why are people so stingy? Seriously. Life's much better if you could spare a little. I know I do...

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Why people are so stingy?

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:00 pm

2487chica wrote:Ok, if you're jobless like me, I don't expect you to be on the generous side. But come on, why are people so stingy? Seriously. Life's much better if you could spare a little. I know I do...

in a different context, let me put it this way, when in a South East Asian country, I was called stingy, I just said "if i give my money, and be 'generous' as you expect, then I will begging like you .. "

Maybe you will not like it - but expecting handouts and calling people who don't give as 'stingy' is not funny .. grow up .. (that's my own opinion .. no offense .. ) :D :D

Yes, I do spare, but to the people I believe deserve it, and not to every Tom dick and harry I bump into .. and not to those who believe they deserve my money (we are talking money here right ?? )unless I benefit in one way or other .. makes sense ??

What was your question again ???

Cheers

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:22 pm

Uhm... I'm talking about why people are so stingy here, in the sense that when I walk down Orchard Road and see some poor old people performing by the street, not many people would stop by to even toss a 10 cent coin.

So, thanks for the growing up advice, although I don't understand it... :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Re: Why people are so stingy?

Postby BillyB » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:27 pm

2487chica wrote:Ok, if you're jobless like me, I don't expect you to be on the generous side. But come on, why are people so stingy? Seriously. Life's much better if you could spare a little. I know I do...

This is a such a pointless post. What is the context and just what exactly are you expecting people to do?

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Fri, 18 Mar 2011 11:29 pm

Pointless post gets another reply, well that's not so bad. LOL. I'm just wondering why people are stingy, pretty pointed out already, no?

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:35 am

How do you know that they are stingy? In today's cashless society, most don't even carry cash. I rarely have any change in my pockets at all and usually don't carry bills less than a Tenner. Anything smaller the wife or kids vacuum it up before I can blink an eye.

I personally think it may be you who have the problem. Maybe you are a busker who doesn't do so well? :roll:

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 1:52 am

Haha. Nah, I'm not a busker. Although, I really admire those buskers! I wish I've got half their courage! Amazing people really! :)

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 1:56 am

What do you call them then if not stingy? I got no idea... Too lazy? Can't be bothered? Don't give a damn? None of my business?

I believe when there's a will there's a way. So nope, not buying any excuses. :)

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 1:59 am

I gotta clarify though... I'm not saying everyone is stingy, I wouldn't know, but I know for sure there are people who are stingy in this world. So yeah, just a question, if you don't feel that you ain't stingy, don't get so worked up yeah? No need to defend yourselves... unless you feel guilty. LOL!

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 11:10 am

If you would go back and read your first post, you will find that the statement you made was all encompassing. Therefore you are condemning everybody who doesn't drop money in EVERY BEGGER/BUSKER/DONATION TIN (watch out flag day when there are 7, 825 school kids with their tin cans collecting for dog knows what (all for ECA points). Eventually, one gets burnout.

Those who want to give from the heart aren't nearly as stingy as you might think. Have you every asked any of them if they contribute to charity? They might contribute huge sums via check, call in sms numbers and the donating of time. How much TIME do you donate to charity? Or does dropping a couple pennies into a tin salve your conscious.

You really need to think about how you condemn people on an open board. The dog ate more than your icon apparently.

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 12:34 am

Haha. I'm not condemning anyone. I simply asked a question. And the question is directed to those who are stingy. Woo.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Sun, 20 Mar 2011 7:23 pm

2487chica wrote:Haha. I'm not condemning anyone. I simply asked a question. And the question is directed to those who are stingy. Woo.

Define stingy again ?? Is it those who don't GIVE YOU MONEY or those who don't give money to charity ?? and what are you harping about anyway ?? Did you expect to live in Singapore and expect people to be 'generous' - meaning people just 'share' their money ?? (oops .. heard that from a foreigner - instead of asking money, he will go "share some money .. " :D )

2487chica

Postby 2487chica » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 9:32 pm

Stingy means:

stin·gy (stnj)
adj. stin·gi·er, stin·gi·est
1. Giving or spending reluctantly.
2. Scanty or meager: a stingy meal; stingy with details about the past.
[Perhaps alteration of dialectal stingy, stinging, from sting.]
stingi·ly adv.
stingi·ness n.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

stingy1
adj -gier, -giest
1. unwilling to spend or give
2. insufficient or scanty
[C17 (perhaps in the sense: ill-tempered): perhaps from stinge, dialect variant of sting]
stingily adv
stinginess n

I just wonder why people are this way, those who are being this way, esp. to those old people asking for money on Orchard Road.

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 21 Mar 2011 11:31 pm

I just wonder why people are this way, those who are being this way, esp. to those old people asking for money on Orchard Road.

You know something, you make the silliest comment that been posted to this forum in quite a while. What about 75 old people with their hand out on orchard road. do you carry a huge sack every day going about your business just so you can give them a couple of coins daily (because they are predominately professional beggars who probably make as much daily or more than you do and don't have to lift a finger because of rubes like you. You are really naive, I give you credit for that. :roll:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Postby ecureilx » Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:03 am

From his/her last posting defining stingy, I have convinced myself that most likely, the said individual is from a country where handouts/free money, cash offers, sharing of wealth (nah - not kidding - they do believe rich must share with the poor forgetting the rich got rich by hard work and not sitting on their arse and asking .. ) ..

This seems like a troll :D :D

Not gonna mention my suspected country, as I have met hard working people and count a lot of good friends too from the same suspected country ..