Singapore Expats Forum

Early 30's couple with 2 & half year old seeking friends

New here? Don't be shy. Introduce yourself here and expand your social network!
phillippaandrob

Early 30's couple with 2 & half year old seeking friends

Postby phillippaandrob » Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:28 pm

Hi, we are a couple from UK and we are just settling in to our new home in Kembangan, East Coast and wondered if there was anyone around who would like to meet up. We both work in the city and have a 2 and a half year old daughter, we would love to hear from anyone in a similar situation or just some advise on good things to do in the area.

susanandmichael

Postby susanandmichael » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 4:53 am

Hi
We are in a similar situation although not actually in Singapore yet. We are a couple from the UK with a two year old daughter moving to Singapore in July/August time. My partner is already over there working and myself and our daughter are coming to join him in July/August time. I intend to work full time also and would love to meet up on evenings or weekends. Would be great to feel like I knew some people before I actually arrive! If you dont mind me asking, how are you finding it so far? How has your daughter coped with the move? Where are you from in the UK? Sorry for so many questions..... we are Susan and Michael from Ayrshire in Scotland, I'm an accountant and Michael is an ROV pilot.

Hope to hear from you soon.

phillippaandrob

Response to Susan and Michael

Postby phillippaandrob » Mon, 28 Mar 2011 11:09 am

Hi Susan and Michael,
Great to hear from you! We are sort of from all over in the UK but last lived in Somerset.
We have found it a bit difficult to settle, the heat is REALLY over powering, and it's a totally different lifestyle to what we were living before but I think we are starting to enjoy it now. Just need the company I think to cement it al!! Isabelle has loved every moment (well since the first week which was HORRIFIC!!) We got her into an EXCELLENT Kindergarten called Rosemount it is on the East Coast near Siglap. If you are considering childcare options I can HIGHLY recommend this school to you. We are now just sorting ourselves out with a live in helper. This has been a really difficult decision to make but feel it is going to be the best for our family in the long run. Are you on Facebook? We have a little mini forum thing going on on there that I would love to include you in. There are some families who are already out and some that are coming around the same time as you so it wouled be great to include you in our little chats there!
I can recommend the East Coast as a place to live too. It seems that a lot of people start out on the West and then move over this way (if you have not decided where to base yourself yet!) My husband and I work in the city and have decided to stay near an MRT stop so we are 30 minutes exactly from door to door which suits us down to the ground and about a 15 minute (flat!) cycle to the beach. Many poeople decide to stay nearer the coast and have cars and use buses which seems like a good option too. Nice to be by the park as it is a great place for the kids, but we were very stuck on the MRT to get around as we don't really want a car.
Anyway that's probably a lot of information for you! Feel free to email me at phillippaandrob@gmail.com or find me on Facebook I am Phillippa Ince. If Michaeal would like to met us if he's out here waiting for you guys that would be more than OK too!
I will really look forward to hearing from and and meeting up when you get out here.
Take Care of yourselves
Phillippa