Singapore Expats Forum

LTVP Denied - Appeals Procedure/Suggestions Requested.

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
pmaloo

LTVP Denied - Appeals Procedure/Suggestions Requested.

Postby pmaloo » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 7:28 pm

Hi guys!

I had applied for LTVP based on EPEC on Feb 26th and today, March 15, I got an email that it was denied. I have a Bachelors degree in Finance & Accounting along with CPA qualification (US GAAP) along with 3 years of work experience in one of the Big 4. I understand that getting EPEC and LTVP are two different things and LTVP might have well been denied because of general crackdown on number of foreigners in Singapore.

However, from what I think, it was denied because of a mismatch in Passport # (old passport) noted on EPEC and passport number (new passport) I put down in online application through e-VP. When I had applied for EPEC, I put my old passport number in the application (it was still valid for 6 months at that time but just about). So, the EPEC carries my old passport number. However, before I came here on Short Term Visa, I renewed my passport so when I filed LTVP application it had a different passport number on it resulting in a mismatch between EPEC and LTVP application.

So, I guess from people's experiences here do you think its worth it to appeal since I am already in Singapore. If yes,can someone provide more information on the appeals process? I have searched through old posts but all I could find was that people appealed but no further information on the appeals procedure itself. I couldn't find anything about the appeals procedure on the ICA website either. Can someone please throw some light on it?

My other option is to just extend the Short Term Pass for about 90 days as thats all I would need to get a job anyway and sit for CFA L3 exam in June first week. Only shortcoming being, every bank I have been to told me that they need me to have either LTVP or EP or PR card and I can't open a bank account until then and I can't come in and go out of Singapore as I could on LTVP.

So, in summary:
    1) Is it advisable to appeal LTVP denial considering that its possible that it was denied because of passport number mismatch as stated above?
    2) If I should appeal, can you please provide some light on the appeals procedure?

Any other comments or suggestions on things I might not have considered would be well appreciated.

Regards,
Puneet

Edit: Spelling

singaporeflyer
Manager
Manager

Postby singaporeflyer » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:18 pm

wait for MS,KSL or SMS to reply to you. they can advise you better on this. Good Luck

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:24 pm

singaporeflyer wrote:wait for MS,KSL or SMS to reply to you. they can advise you better on this. Good Luck

Thanks for taking a look at it. I will wait for MS, KSL or SMS to shed some light on it.

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:26 pm

Just adapt this letter from the PR appeal, entering LTVSP were applicable, and explain the details that you are already in Singapore based on your old passport details and the EPEC application having a different number to the LTVSP application due to passport renewal and a possible mismatch may have occurred of EPEC & LTVSP passport numbers . With respect I request the officer in charge to re-consider my application as both passport numbers are the same person.

The address details you should have and a reference number too, so ensure the reference number is at the top as a heading with the reference number something like Ref LTVSP appeal of NAME Our Ref: Number!

I cannot reply on the STVP extension, you will have to check with ICA by phone.

http://www.webasaservice.com/usefulinfo ... tter-form/

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:57 am

ksl wrote:Just adapt this letter from the PR appeal, entering LTVSP were applicable, and explain the details that you are already in Singapore based on your old passport details and the EPEC application having a different number to the LTVSP application due to passport renewal and a possible mismatch may have occurred of EPEC & LTVSP passport numbers . With respect I request the officer in charge to re-consider my application as both passport numbers are the same person.

The address details you should have and a reference number too, so ensure the reference number is at the top as a heading with the reference number something like Ref LTVSP appeal of NAME Our Ref: Number!

Thanks KSL. Really appreciate the help. I drafted something similar to it while I was waiting for a response. I will use some of the wordings from your response and the link to improve my appeal letter.

Just a quick question on Ref# for LTVP. I didn't see one on the status page or in the emails (application submission or denial). Application submission contained my new passport number while denial had FIN.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 1:07 am

ksl wrote:Just adapt this letter from the PR appeal, entering LTVSP were applicable, and explain the details that you are already in Singapore based on your old passport details and the EPEC application having a different number to the LTVSP application due to passport renewal and a possible mismatch may have occurred of EPEC & LTVSP passport numbers . With respect I request the officer in charge to re-consider my application as both passport numbers are the same person.

On the face of the facts given (to my non-expert eyes) it does seem an unlikely case to somehow be granted an EPEC but then have the LTVP refused.

I mean what about people in these shoes who have arrived in SG having moved/sold-up their household in their home country. Surely ICA have to have very strong grounds for refusal, and hence be so out of line with MoM. I know ICA don't give reasons for refusal... but really. An EPEC should not be some kind of blind leap of faith like this!

And another thing! Since one has one year from an EPEC being issued, to applying for your LTVP, passport renewal in the interim in the intervening period must not be at all uncommon, what do you reckon maybe 1/25th of applications? Does the LTVP application form allow for you to pre-emptively indicate that you have renewed your passport? If not that is really dumb! :roll:

Good luck to Pmaloo

p.s. The template linked by KSL, I think that is the right approach, but I'd change the phrasing into more of your own words. Stuff like 'Singapore, peaceful realm' has got to make the ICA officers laugh every time, and would do you no credit...

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 3:08 am

yes whatever you do, don't write
Stuff like 'Singapore, peaceful realm' has got to make the ICA officers laugh every time,
Crikey HAHAHA! :lol:

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 7:11 am

No, you have to use some equally asinine expression after using babelfish on your own language that way somebody else can have a laugh. The Burmese based letter makes sense in Burmese, but it, like Mandarin and other languages does not always translate to something akin to acceptable in plain English. So just use the letter as a rough guideline and embellish it to your own native language so that the immigration officers can verify that the letter was written by you and not by some ethic letter writer from some other country. :wink: :P

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 7:38 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses. I filed an appeal today and now hoping for the best. The officer told me to extend the stay using e-XTEND in the meanwhile.

And yes, I did not use the cheesy "peaceful realm" phrase but I did read it on someone else's appeal today :? .

Fingers crossed, and lets see what happens now.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 9:02 pm

Good luck, and please do revert back and let the forum know the outcome!

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:24 am

JR8 wrote:Good luck, and please do revert back and let the forum know the outcome!

Thanks JR8. I will keep everyone updated.

And to answer the question in your previous post - No, there is no way to put in your old passport number unless you have visited Singapore on your old passport because it asks you if you have been to Singapore before on with a different passport.

On a side note, whats the best way to find out the outcome of the appeal? I thought e-VP status page would say "Appeal Pending" or something like that but it seems like it hasn't changed since I got my denial

ksl
Governor
Governor

Postby ksl » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 2:45 pm

pmaloo wrote:
JR8 wrote:Good luck, and please do revert back and let the forum know the outcome!

Thanks JR8. I will keep everyone updated.

And to answer the question in your previous post - No, there is no way to put in your old passport number unless you have visited Singapore on your old passport because it asks you if you have been to Singapore before on with a different passport.

On a side note, whats the best way to find out the outcome of the appeal? I thought e-VP status page would say "Appeal Pending" or something like that but it seems like it hasn't changed since I got my denial
That's because they don't like to advertise the fact, you can appeal, count yourself lucky if someone is looking at it. They turn down lots I would think due to mistakes in documentation. It's normally easier to submit a new application, as they don't inform you of the mistakes.

pmaloo

Postby pmaloo » Wed, 27 Apr 2011 8:04 pm

An update.

I ended up extending my visa (did it on 23rd March) but had to leave Singapore to attend a family function (left on 8th). While I was gone, my landlord informed me that I had received a letter from ICA requesting me to submit Form 14.

I returned on 26th April, and submitted Form 14 the same day. When I asked the visa officer what I should expect next, she simply told me I will know soon. No indication of whether its still under consideration or it has been approved.

Kind of annoying to not be able to open a local bank account without one.

Edit: Spelling