Singapore Expats Forum

Company A, B, C

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Company A, B, C

Postby gocanucks » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 7:09 pm

Dear all, I am wondering if you might be able to provide me some advice on my current situation. I am quite fresh in the working industry, and don't have much experience in these situations, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am currently working at company A, and my contract is ending middle of April, I have already submitted my resignation.

For the past month of so, I have undergone a series of interviews with company B, and they have just made me an offer with a deadline of later this week. company B is expecting me to start around 3rd week of april, a few days after my last day at company A.

Then, this week, company C called me, asking to interview me for a role I applied for, so I completed that today. I am quite confident of my performance. Before I went to the interview, I explained to them my situation at company B, and they strongly hinted that should I be successful at company C, they will offer me a better package than company B. But, they also advised me I wont' get an answer until end of this month.

To make things more complex, both company B and C are competitors in the same industry, but the position company C is offering is more specific to my career goal. However, I really can't afford to lose both opportunities as they are really the way into the industry, and also I can't risk no job and no ep with rent and other commitments here in Singapore.

In my mind then, I am thinking my only choice is to first sign with company B, and then should company C make me an offer later in March, I would reject company B and go to company C (in this case, I am ok with the sacrifice of burning bridge at company B). However, I am wondering about the legality, in terms of EP and other considerations. Would I be bound to work with company B after I sign the job offer acceptance? Are there clauses they might put into the job offer that I should look out for which might prevent my later possible action (I haven't seen the official job offer doc yet)?

Thanks in advance for your advise, I really appreciate it.

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 8:22 pm

I should add that both of the prospective positions are permanent roles, and I would be expecting and committed to starting a long-term career at the company i end up working for. Since I think that perhaps for more informal contract roles, my thoughts would be really unethical, but because my decision now will affect my overall career and my next 5-10 years, I feel that perhaps I should be a little more selfish.

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:37 pm

Hi,

Congratulations to having two good job prospects, something many people can only dream of!

There are two sides to your current situation:
Contractual obligations to the companies you agree to work for
and the EP aspect.

If you sign a contract with company B, you must fulfil it.
Most employment contracts specify a probation period, during which both sides can "test" each other and resign easily if there isn't a good fit. If you resign during that period (for whatever reason) you are not doing anything wrong. However, "burning bridges" can still happen.

But the government decides on your EP, and they don't like job-hoppers, so getting one for company C so soon after one for company B is far from guaranteed. You might end up with none and have to return to your country. That's the risk you take.
You are already taking such a risk (although a lower one) when changing from A to B. It's the same risk, EP-wise, as changing from A to C directly, rejecting B (provided you do get an offer from C).

Good luck!

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks so much for your advice, I have a further clarification I'd like to ask you.

As you mentioned, once I sign the contract with company B, i would have to honour it, including the notice periods. But I am wondering, does this start as soon as I sign, or upon my first day at work? Assuming I sign with company B this week, they will not have me start until mid/end of April. Then, company C comes to me with an offer next week. As I haven't started at company B yet, would I still have to observe the notice periods clauses in the contract?

On the note of EP, I would like to ask about the process to those with the experience. As I am at company A until mid April, does company B apply for the EP after I finish with company A, or, will they apply maybe 1-2 weeks before, or will they actually apply as soon as i sign the offer with them? I also realize that the government would see job-hopping as bad. But is there actually a chance that after I sign with company B, there might be a timeframe where I could change to company C before the EP is applied? In that case, the government would not be aware of the situation the, right? Just wondering if that's how it works.

Thanks again!

beppi
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1752
Joined: Thu, 07 Sep 2006
Location: Ahlongistan (O$P$)

Postby beppi » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 11:56 pm

Some contracts rule out resignations before start of work, most don't. Read and you will know!
The company, not you, applies for your EP. Thus, if you resign, B needs to cancel the EP and C apply for another one.
The authorities can take over a month to decide about an EP application.

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:12 am

right, I understand about the company applying for the EP. last time, it took about 1 week to get it approved. i just wonder though, do companies generally apply for EP as soon as the contract is signed, or do they wait closer to the starting date? i am just working out whether there might be a chance that even if i accept company b's offer this week, i might hear from company a next week before company b actually initiates the ep process.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 12:31 am

beppi wrote:Some contracts rule out resignations before start of work, most don't. Read and you will know!
The company, not you, applies for your EP. Thus, if you resign, B needs to cancel the EP and C apply for another one.
The authorities can take over a month to decide about an EP application.


Additionally, if you tick off company B after they have made application for your Ep, until they retract the application for you, company C cannot apply for one. This means company could very well hold up withdrawing the application for the length of notice you should have given. And this could then cause company C to decide you aren't worth waiting for as your word, they already know, isn't very good as you gave it to company B and then went back on your word. I wouldn't put your chances with company C in an economic crunch as I think you would be the first they'd let go cause they figure you will jump ship for the typical Singapore 15 minutes or $50 bucks.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 2:17 am

hmmmm, since you have already told c about b,
why don't you tell b about c too,
maybe b will offer you the same as c

but if you feel that c would be best for your career, then do it. if not stick with b.

Anyways, which is the company that has a bigger market share? b or c?
IMHO, the smaller share of the pie, would pay more. of course, that would depend on how competitive your industry is.

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:22 pm

c actually has a large market share, but due to the position the offer would be higher. but i mean, of course, not certain about c yet, but just thinking in the event that i have a choice. i am quite worried about the ep though, in the event that one companies started the application, and then i decide to switch to the second company.

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:44 pm

both companies are large foreign-based MNCs, instantly recognizable. would this make it more likely for the second ep to pass if company B were to first make an application, and then they cancel, and comapny c puts one in? How much does the actual company matter when it comes to the ep?

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Sat, 02 Apr 2011 11:50 pm

hi everyone, just wanted to thank you again for all the advice. in the end, I am with company b, the first one that made me an offer. was a little concerned about the ep, since I keep hearing about rumours that it is getting harder and harder to get one, especially as my degree is actually completely irrelevant to my line of work. thankfully though, i got notified about the IPA earlier this week.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 8:28 pm

gocanucks wrote:hi everyone, just wanted to thank you again for all the advice. in the end, I am with company b, the first one that made me an offer. was a little concerned about the ep, since I keep hearing about rumours that it is getting harder and harder to get one, especially as my degree is actually completely irrelevant to my line of work. thankfully though, i got notified about the IPA earlier this week.


Congrats GC, just wondering if you told CO. B about CO. C's offer?
Make friends and keep in touch with the people in CO. C, just in case... :D

gocanucks
Member
Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat, 02 Oct 2010

Postby gocanucks » Sun, 03 Apr 2011 8:30 pm

hi thanks, no, in the end i didnt' tell company B, definitely avoiding burning bridges.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests