Singapore Expats

When landlords cut the lease short

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 1:59 pm

And - I heard enough agents telling the tenant, who has furnished the house, knowing you can't remove all furniture .. "the owner wiling to buy the furniture .. maybe at 10% of the price, knowing pretty well that you can't dismantle / take all back.

The remedy ? As a Norwegian friend did - paid the cleaners to smash up the furniture and hand back the apartment 'empty' as it was received .. but .. the agent also knows not many will resort t to such extremes ..

Search By

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:13 pm

Saint wrote:If you paid the Stamp Duty on the full term of the TA the Landlord can not terminate early under any circumstances unless the compensate you properly. Not sure what your TA states but even when the TA is due to expire the Landlord has to give you 2 months notice if they aren't going to renew TA.

Proper compensation in my books would be

1) Full deposit returned
2) 2 Months compensation paid by LL for early termination
3) Refund of pro-rated agents commission if you were mad enough to pay any :wink:
4) Refund of pro-rated Stamp Duty
5) Relocation/removal cost

What does your Agent have to say about this as they have a duty of care to the tenant as well as the LL.

The Landlord can not make you move out early.
Interesting...Unfortunately, my flatmates and I have then succumbed to naiveté (I became a regular here after moving in). We're getting some sort of compensation (and we'll definitely try to 'ask' for more) but not like what NZ is giving to earthquake victims in terms of relative scale. We're not completely getting it in the shorts but it won't be a comfortable transition either...really, the whole trigger and the ensuing episode is pissing me off...
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 2:29 pm

ecureilx wrote:And - I heard enough agents telling the tenant, who has furnished the house, knowing you can't remove all furniture ..
Why you can't remove the furniture? :???:

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 3:03 pm

x9200 wrote:Why you can't remove the furniture? :???:
Not all .. but - most of the furniture in the market today is 'fix once and never change' type - if you start to dismantle, most of them loose their shape ..

And it more of a pain to remove and pack and shift and easier to leave it behind .. and i am sure that it the course of action that the agent will propose ..

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 4:52 pm

nakatago wrote:
Saint wrote:If you paid the Stamp Duty on the full term of the TA the Landlord can not terminate early under any circumstances unless the compensate you properly. Not sure what your TA states but even when the TA is due to expire the Landlord has to give you 2 months notice if they aren't going to renew TA.

Proper compensation in my books would be

1) Full deposit returned
2) 2 Months compensation paid by LL for early termination
3) Refund of pro-rated agents commission if you were mad enough to pay any :wink:
4) Refund of pro-rated Stamp Duty
5) Relocation/removal cost

What does your Agent have to say about this as they have a duty of care to the tenant as well as the LL.

The Landlord can not make you move out early.
Interesting...Unfortunately, my flatmates and I have then succumbed to naiveté (I became a regular here after moving in). We're getting some sort of compensation (and we'll definitely try to 'ask' for more) but not like what NZ is giving to earthquake victims in terms of relative scale. We're not completely getting it in the shorts but it won't be a comfortable transition either...really, the whole trigger and the ensuing episode is pissing me off...
Interesting Saint, that follows English tenancy law very closely. England also had a law requiring stamp duty on Tenancy Agreements as well (I believe it now only payable on very very high end rents). The long and short of it was if you had not had the TA stamped then you could not introduce it in evidence in a court of law. If you had had it stamped then the 2 month notice period to quit was enforceable. Wouldn't be surprised if the same rationale applies in SG law.

Nak, I still don't see that you have established that you need to move out early. When you sell a property with a tenant in situ, the new owner becomes the landlord bound by the terms of the existing lease. If the suggestion is that they have sold the property therefore you must move out, well sorry but that is just bollock$.

The sweeteners the landlord are offering are probably simply because they must know they have no right to make you leave. So essentially they are asking you for a huge favour, and hoping you are unaware of your rights!

If the buyer (if it has been sold) bought without confirming vacant possession well they they are stupid, and that is not your problem either.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 4:59 pm

You're forgetting that I'm just venting here. While I'm not soliciting advice, anything said is evaluated for usefulness. Hence, me not saying complete details of what's going on.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

red red

Post by red red » Sat, 19 Mar 2011 8:16 pm

ecureilx wrote:And - I heard enough agents telling the tenant, who has furnished the house, knowing you can't remove all furniture .. "the owner wiling to buy the furniture .. maybe at 10% of the price, knowing pretty well that you can't dismantle / take all back.

The remedy ? As a Norwegian friend did - paid the cleaners to smash up the furniture and hand back the apartment 'empty' as it was received .. but .. the agent also knows not many will resort t to such extremes ..

Yes, its a pain shifting, and more painful doing so with a house full of furnitures. It is best that I could leave behind all the old and depreciated furnitures for the landlord to dispose them if he desire. But I would not appear to the landlord as though I'm treat him as a disposal company. But the deal just get sweater when owner offer 10% price. :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess the important point moving forward is not to buy expensive furnitures for use in future rental homes, so that they are easily depreciated for 2 years. :lol: :lol: :lol: