Singapore Expats Forum

Earthquake and Tsunami in Eastern Japan - Largest since 1900

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

revhappy
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1067
Joined: Wed, 10 Jun 2009

Postby revhappy » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 5:53 pm

ksl wrote:The tsunami from Japan reached California, turning boats upside down! :shock:


One person in California actually died as the waves took him with it while he was taking photographs of the tsunami :o

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 6:15 pm

revhappy wrote:
ksl wrote:The tsunami from Japan reached California, turning boats upside down! :shock:


One person in California actually died as the waves took him with it while he was taking photographs of the tsunami :o


That's an isolated case, something for the Darwin awards. It's not like he didn't know about the wave.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 6:45 pm

a 35 year old died in Papua Province too, (drowned)
Papua Province in Indonesia got hit too.... quite a bad flooding.

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne ... a-province

remman
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue, 15 Mar 2011
Contact:

Postby remman » Tue, 15 Mar 2011 7:09 pm

It is a disaster that shows there is much bigger and much powerful than man. The earthquake and the explosion of Japan's nuclear power plants, those were too terrible to realize, it was like looking at the aftermath of WWII

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 3:42 am

6.2 earthquake just south of Mount Fuji.... 10:30 pm last night - 15th March

I feel that there are more to come....

Remember Haiti, Chile had a big one shortly after. :(

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 4:50 am

ev-disinfection wrote:I feel that there are more to come....



No need to 'feel' there will be more to come, Japan suffers earthquakes and tremors all the time. The most recent event was an extra big one with, as we have seen, devastating consequences.

Plavt
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 4289
Joined: Wed, 18 May 2005
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Plavt » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 5:01 am

tyianchang wrote:Some come to mind - like windmills and solar panels which are probably of limited efficiency. But in view of the might of nature's destructive potential, they have to seek out alternatives.


You might want to read my post a little more carefully; I did say if there was 'a suitable alternative to generate the nation's energy needs.' Japan's mountainous nature and busy ports make windmills impractical while solar panels are expensive.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 5:38 am

Plavt wrote:
tyianchang wrote:Some come to mind - like windmills and solar panels which are probably of limited efficiency. But in view of the might of nature's destructive potential, they have to seek out alternatives.


You might want to read my post a little more carefully; I did say if there was 'a suitable alternative to generate the nation's energy needs.' Japan's mountainous nature and busy ports make windmills impractical while solar panels are expensive.


Plus the 'second box' that environmentalists only rarely seem to tick, that if it's cloudy or the wind isn't blowing (as is common in winter, unhelpfully during peak demand) then renewables will generate bugger all power.

As a result you have to run full back-ups 24/7/365 as a contingency. So, what's it going to be, coal, gas or nuclear together with your silly windmills?

User avatar
k1w1
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 680
Joined: Mon, 30 May 2005

Postby k1w1 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 6:33 am

Japan has a population of over 125 million people, even if you choose to ignore all their industrial needs for power.

It is laughable to think you could supply this level of energy needs with windmills and solar panels.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 6:42 am

k1w1 wrote:Japan has a population of over 125 million people, even if you choose to ignore all their industrial needs for power.

It is laughable to think you could supply this level of energy needs with windmills and solar panels.


No, you could run them from the non-renewables that you'd have to run as perpetual back-up though.

Either way, conventional energy is not going away, and that increasingly means nuclear.

Renewables are politicians feeding off and sharing the vanity of rich people who can afford to pay for it. They think it makes them look caring and concerned, whereas the reality is it makes them look like 'Box 1 = ticked' exploiters, and the short attention span of the masses lets them get away with it.

User avatar
ev-disinfection
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 459
Joined: Fri, 18 Dec 2009
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby ev-disinfection » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:08 am

Plavt wrote:
ev-disinfection wrote:I feel that there are more to come....



No need to 'feel' there will be more to come, Japan suffers earthquakes and tremors all the time. The most recent event was an extra big one with, as we have seen, devastating consequences.


What i mean is a big one, within 30 days from today,
like there was one this morning at 5.1 in the mountains.

I use vesseltracker, which shows real time vessel locations on Google Earth,
it also shows the location of these quakes that i mention.... pretty cool stuff..
and you can track the general movement of these quakes, and from what i see, the quakes are coming inland south west general direction.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:26 am


User avatar
prkravi
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 271
Joined: Wed, 07 Mar 2007

Postby prkravi » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 10:59 am

earthfriendly wrote:The 50 brave men :cry: .


May God bless them abundantly, and I hope they pull it off, if they do they are real heroes!! I would expect they would be treated as National Heroes and awarded good recognitions. Oh that sight of seeing them pull off their masks and stand proud having achieved the impossible, that's priceless..

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:03 am

The world is full of them. My hat is off to them. They are no different than those who went into the World Trade center or for that matter any fireman in the world who risk their lives on a daily basis in order to try to save others. They are a special breed of person. They have a name as well. They are called Heros.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1828
Joined: Sat, 20 Aug 2005

Postby earthfriendly » Wed, 16 Mar 2011 11:07 am

My heart is heavy.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests